01-03-2024 01:32 PM
0 Replies
The Uptown Catz @ DJ...
Last post by Joseph Breitenfeld
29-02-2024 06:55 PM
0 Replies

Closed Thread

Boogie Woogie Dancing & Hank's Jalopy Demons

You may not agree, but I believe music & dancing are one of those unmistakable expressions of freedom and about the joy of living. Bono from rock band, U2, has been quoted as saying “music can change the world because music can change people”. How powerful is that?

It amazes me what I see week in week out when attending live music gigs around Melbourne. People go out to enjoy themselves listening to live bands, dancing, find a new friend (or a partner) or just having a beer or two chatting with friends. Nothing’s wrong being passionate, but I think we sometimes lose the plot a bit, so to speak, when we try too hard to debate or dissect one form of dance or music genre without giving due considerations to our varied preferences in life and interests.

I saw one of my favourite rockabilly bands, Hank’s Jalopy Demons, at the Gully last Sunday. This is one of the most polished musical outfits hitting the stage in Australia at the moment. These guys performed on stage like true professionals. The music is tight and polished with a balance of rockabilly and southern honky tonk country whilst maintaining a stage presence reminiscent of the 1950’s era. Check them out one day if you haven’t seen them before.

Talking about dancing, what made it more memorable for me at the Gully last Sunday was watching a young French couple (backpackers travelling in Australia) danced boogie woogie. I have never before seen boogie woogie dancing anywhere in Australia, so it was a rather special occasion. Boris and Emerline are champion French boogie woogie dancers, and it was so much fun & inspiring watching them dancing at a very high level. I believe they are hoping to teach dancing whilst in Australia so this may be your opportunity to learn it if you are interested. Rob Ewert from VRRDA may have some additional information on this if you are interested.

Finally, some videos of Boris & Emerline dancing and of course, Hank’s Jalopy Demons at the Gully.

Re: Boogie Woogie Dancing & Hank's Jalopy Demons

Great boogie woogie. Hope to see that couple dancing in person soon. Would be good if they are able to provide some lessons in Melbourne.

In regard to Hank's Jalopy Demons, I have caught the band a couple of times over the past few weeks. All four band members are all excellent musicians and the bands playlist usually includes a song or two that is new to me, which always adds to the dancing challenge. Really enjoying seeing this band of late. Hope to see more of them.......
    Dance like nobody's watching. Love like you've never been hurt

Re: Boogie Woogie Dancing & Hank's Jalopy Demons

Looks great. Thanks for sharing Paul.