01-03-2024 01:32 PM
0 Replies
The Uptown Catz @ DJ...
Last post by Joseph Breitenfeld
29-02-2024 06:55 PM
0 Replies

Closed Thread

Just Rock Brisbane with Little Billy Band

My first report on Brisbane’s 1950’s style rock ‘n’ roll & rockabilly live music and dance scene after re-locating from Melbourne recently.

Last weekend, I attended Brisbane's Just Rock Club dance held at Belmont Services Club featuring local rockabilly band, Little Billy. I believe Just Rock Brisbane has been operating for over 20 years, and is commonly referred to as a “rockabilly” dance school or club. It promotes live rockabilly music performances with regular social dances and conducts weekly rockabilly dance classes. As you expect, the dance is quite similar to when one visits the Mustang bar in Perth when a rockabilly band is playing. It would therefore not be surprising to see many “rockabilly” dancers on the dance floor during the night. However, rock & roll dancers like myself are more than welcome. I even see a few swing dancers/moves exhibited on the night so it just shows you can do your own thing on the dance floor. It's all for the love of dancing. There would at least 150 dancers that night at the Belmont Club. Even caught up with a few familiar faces for whom I have previously met at other rockabilly events such as Camperdown and Greazefest.

Belmont Services Club is like one of Melbourne’s Bowls Club but the main difference would have to be its huge wooden dance floor. It has a bar and lots of parking on its premises and off the streets. Unlike most Melbourne rockabilly gigs, I did notice the dance started early at 7.30pm and the band finished its last set around 11.30pm whereas in Melbourne, it's more common for bands to start playing from around 8.30pm or so. So it did feel a little different to finish earlier in the night as I usually hit the door around 12.30 -1 am in Melbourne.

Little Billy is a local Brisbane rockabilly band with Tahnee Sarah providing the main vocal. She sings, she plays the guitar and so she's a real rockabilly chick. It's my first encounter with Little Billy and I love watching new rockabilly bands - something to do with new songs I haven't heard before or have forgotten, different stage presence, different vocal style etc. Similar to most of Melbourne’s rockabilly bands, they played a mix of rockabilly songs and tempos but some of the tunes can be quite fast. And I think rockabilly dancers generally don't mind that as it suits their dance style. I did enjoy listening and dancing to this rockabilly band.

All in all, a very good night of live rockabilly music and dancing. Well, Brisbane rocks too!

Last edited by Jitterbug; 10-10-2015 at 11:20 AM.