01-03-2024 01:32 PM
0 Replies
The Uptown Catz @ DJ...
Last post by Joseph Breitenfeld
29-02-2024 06:55 PM
0 Replies

Closed Thread

Greazefest "Kustoms & Kulture" Festival Melbourne 2015

For the second year running, Greazefest Kustoms Kulture Festival Melbourne was held last weekend at Sandown Racecourse. Just like last year, it drew rockers, billies, dancers and generally people who love the 1950's scene encompassing music, culture and lifestye including lots of bands from overseas and local Australian ones, hotrods and Kustoms cars, Miss Pin Up & fashions, merchandise and tattoes.

Weather wise, it wasn't too bad with sunny patches during the day and no rain. As the main activities (music, dancing and merchandise) were held under cover, this added to the comfort level for all patrons. Apart from the opening Friday night event, the weekend was staged day-night with non stop live music and dancing. And now you know why there were quite a few very tired rockers and billies on Monday they morning after.

The feature band for the festival was the Swedish rockabilly band, the Go Getters,. I have seen this band a few times already when they toured Australia in the past few years but their music and stage performance still excite me when they perform on stage. American rockabilly outfit, Will & the Hi Rollers, was the other overseas band and complemented a host of other Australian bands including Firebird, Ezra Lee & the Havoc Band, Scotty Baker, Hank Jalopy Demons, Kieron Mcdonald, Itchy Fingers, Cherry Divine, the Detonators etc.

The highlight for me was again seeing Benny & the Flyby Niters after quite a long while. I also love Rusty Pinto & Shotdown From Sugartown and I must say Rusty has to be one of the best vocals and stage performance artists in the Australian 1950's music scene. The other highlight for me has to be the introduction of the "Greazefest Supergroups" where bands members mixed and matched into various bands/groups to play. It's like bands coming together to jam at the end of the festival and it just shows how good and versatile our local and overseas musicians are having the ability to play in unfamiliar conditions.

Greazefest festival has added to the 1950's style music festivals in Melbourne/Victoria which includes Ballarat Beat, Camperdown etc but I am not sure if Melbourne Meltdown will continue to be staged in future. Well done to Lori Lee and her small band of helpers. It's a huge investment in terms of capital outlay and commitment to stage such a large, all weekend festival. I certainly hope Greazefest will continue to be staged in Melbourne, and be just as successful as the one staged in Brisbane for the last 15 years or so. And no reason why it should not as long as we continue to support our 1950's style music scene and festivals.

Last edited by Jitterbug; 04-10-2015 at 10:17 AM.