03-04-2024 06:30 PM
0 Replies
Top night out ..The...
Last post by GJR's
01-04-2024 01:08 AM
0 Replies

Closed Thread

Inferno & Red Crown Radio At Christine's

Inferno launched their CD at Christine’s at the Caravan Club on Saturday night in front of an appreciative crowd. The support band was Red Crown Radio – more about them later.

The Infernos are Don Wycherley on stand-up bass, Steve Bird on guitar & Luke Ross on drums. The style is Rockabilly that amalgamates songs from other Rock genres. Don, from the UK, has suggested that the sound is “Pommybilly”. Whatever the music category might be, it was particularly danceable and those songs kept the floor occupied throughout the night.

http://s1103.photobucket.com/albums/...lubMay2011.jpg Follow this link for pictures.

Red Crown Radio; WC Fields warned his fellow performers, “never work with children and animals.” Red Crown Radio opened the show and then stole it. Apparently Christine learned about these NSW kids from their appearance on Australia's Got Talent. Layla Micallef on bass and vocals is 17, same as guitarist Jack Thompson and John Micallef, Layla’s brother, on drums is 15. (And you can forgive a 17 year old for not knowing that Bop-A-Lena was first recorded by Ronnie Self and not k d lang.)
    These young musicians are a Rockabilly band that delivers the goods. I expect to dance to them many more times.

The Caravan Club, in Oakleigh, is a quaint venue. It really seems right for Rock and Rockabilly events. It has that old public hall feel. (Wombat said he was expecting to find a big picture of the young Queen of England on the wall.) The hall has been expanded to include an RSL club so the drinks are quite affordable. With leather soles I found the floor a bit fast but there was plenty of space for dancing.

There was a Tattoo Competition and a Limbo event. I suppose it is a bit hard to hold the attention of the whole crowd for these things. The Vivien of Holloway clothing stall seemed to be doing good business as did the other Kustom Kulture displays. I bought a miniature rubber chicken. It was only $1.00!

The Next Christine’s, this time at Lucky 13 Garage, 8 Cochrans Road, Moorabbin will be on 30 July. The bands will be The Lincolns, from South Australia, plus Sontya & The Incinerators. Check it out.
    Last edited by Mel; 22-06-2011 at 06:28 PM. Reason: change next event venue
    Rob Ewart
    Victorian Rock'n'Roll Dance Assoc

www.VRRDA.org.au

It's your Association, get involved. Good ideas are always welcome.
    Make sure your R'n'R club or dance school is getting best value.

Re: Inferno & Red Crown Radio At Christine's

Hi Rob, thanks for your opinion, I’m glad you enjoyed the night with our compliments....

Both bands were fantastic in fact and the feedback from the crowd on their way out was very impressive, they loved the venue, loved the bands, the tattoo comp, and enjoyed having a good laugh at the limbo dance competition.

It was nice to see one young lad going home with an original Tiki painting worth $120 from Paul Hughes Art and a young lady who won a ‘Vivien of Holloway’ gift voucher which were prizes in the Tattoo Comp. (And you were making plenty of noise for your favourite there Rob! Haha) This was hosted by our well known and very talented singer/songwriter Suzie Dickenson.

I think there will be plenty of The Inferno’s Cd’s floating around out there now – making this world a more wonderful place....

As always people left excited about the next bi-monthly event which will be July 30th at Lucky 13 Garage, 8 Cochrans Road, Moorabbin featuring ‘The Lincolns’ from S.A. and local band ‘Sonyta & The Incinerators’.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	July 30th The Lincolns.jpg‎
Views:	71
Size:	276.1 KB
ID:	4920  
    Last edited by Mel; 22-06-2011 at 06:29 PM. Reason: change next event venue

Missed this one, but Christine's past rockabilly nights at the Caravan Club have been stand-out events. Sounds like this one was too. A quirky venue that for me really evokes what I think rockabilly might have been like when it first appeared. Small hall beside a graveyard - perfect. Attracts rockabilly enthusiasts from all over Melbourne, many that I have only seen at these gigs. Pleased to see another is scheduled for July.
    Dance like nobody's watching. Love like you've never been hurt

Quote Originally Posted by RobE View Post
    Inferno launched their CD at Christine’s at the Caravan Club on Saturday night in front of an appreciative crowd. The support band was Red Crown Radio – more about them later.

The Infernos are Don Wycherley on stand-up bass, Steve Bird on guitar & Luke Ross on drums. The style is Rockabilly that amalgamates songs from other Rock genres. Don, from the UK, has suggested that the sound is “Pommybilly”. Whatever the music category might be, it was particularly danceable and those songs kept the floor occupied throughout the night.

http://s1103.photobucket.com/albums/...lubMay2011.jpg Follow this link for pictures.

Red Crown Radio; WC Fields warned his fellow performers, “never work with children and animals.” Red Crown Radio opened the show. Apparently Christine learned about these NSW kids from their appearance on Australia's Got Talent. Layla Micallef on bass and vocals is 17, same as guitarist Jack Thompson and John Micallef, Layla’s brother, on drums is 15. (And you can forgive a 17 year old for not knowing that Bop-A-Lena was first recorded by Ronnie Self and not k d lang.)
    These young musicians are a Rockabilly band that delivers the goods. I expect to dance to them many more times.

There was a Tattoo Competition and a Limbo event which had the crowd in tears of laughter. The Vivien of Holloway clothing stall seemed to be doing good business as did the other Kustom Kulture displays. I bought a miniature rubber chicken. It was only $1.00!
    The Next Christine’s will be at Lucky 13 Garage, 8 Cochranes Road, Moorabbin 8-12pm