0 Replies
The Uptown Catz @ DJ...
Last post by Joseph Breitenfeld
29-02-2024 06:55 PM
0 Replies

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: the shirelles.

the shirelles.

back in time !before the supremes were the shirelles!will you still love me tomorrow..friend posted this tune on facebook,and i fell for the memories again.great black female american groups coming out of los angeles,detroit and new york,the crystals,the ronettes!the supremes of course,this group were the trendsetters from 58 to 64,and more..
    Last edited by tezza; 15-08-2013 at 01:44 AM.

Re: the shirelles.

Hi Tezza,

I agree, the girl groups of the early 60's were fantastic. As were all the sounds of that era. We at Kool Kat Karaoke have this track plus over 600 others and they are so popular. Thanks for sharing this memory with us.

Good tune Tezza.Some time back in the 60s my brother and I went to a night club in Flinders lane .One of those 60s type club that stayed open 23 hours a day ,it was called the Catcher.Anyway we were there because my brother was good friends with Normie Rowe.We listened to Normie and stayed on and around the 1.30 mark the Ram Jam Big Brass band began playing and mid way through they played this tune.Funny how tunes take you back to places I had long ago forgotten.We were at a theme party about 8 weeks ago where we had to name a tune for the DJ to play as long as it was a rock n roll girl group ,he played 80% girl tunes and the dance floor was always full.Man he had every tune we asked of him.The Chordettes,Shirelles, Brenda lee,Connie Francies,Ruth Brown,Wanda jackson,Janis Martin and the list goes on. I wish sometimes the DJs out there would play more of this stuff.Great to hear them again and most of them are great to dance to as well.Thanks for the post
    That,ll be the day the music die,s

ive come across some interesting information on which?girl group recorded this tune,h`es a rebel...passed on by the shirelles,and it seems,the crystals,whom history has deemed the official artists,coming from new york were actually held up getting to the recording studios in time,phil spector,producer ,of black music in la,rushed the blossoms?in to fill in on the official recording hit,there one claim to fame.the crystals also recorded hits like a doo ron ron. etc..
    Last edited by tezza; 15-08-2013 at 01:48 AM.

Hi Tezza,

I heard that story about the Crystals not actually recording "He's A Rebel" before, and it does make interesting reading. I not that sure that Phil Spector had any connection with Motown, they would appear to be on different sides of the continent (Phil being in LA), and Motown being founded by Berry Gordy Jnr. in Detroit. Have you seen the doco "The Funk Brothers"?...All that great Motown sound coming out of a basement about the size of an average lounge room. Of course Phil was renowned for creating his huge sound with many overdubs, two drum kits, string section etc. A classic sound of the 60's we still love today. Great clip you have attached..I must confess I still have my 45rpm of "He's A Rebel", "Da Doo Ron Ron", and an album of The Shirelles. I also have a cover version of "Rebel" which came out at the same time by Vicki Carr, but not a patch on Phil's arrangement. Great post.
    Cheers,
    Kool Kat

thanks for the brief kool kat,and like you i tend to rely on memory,rather than look into comments on you tube,not all gospel,yes i do remember berry gordie,and like i said,the crystals were from new york,not la,not sure where phil was based at that time when motown was created...vicky carr was an awesome talent!,and it wasnt all about black female groups either from that era,just motown related..just posted a clip on facebook,from a group called the cookies!lol,i wont bother seeking out if they were white or black,they used the tune,dont say nothing,bad about my baby! in a good old fashioned black n white film.ill follow up on the name of that film too in time.regards,tezza.

Hi Tezza,

Ahhhhh The Cookies...that's brings back more memories....The movie about The Funk Brothers (Motown's House Band) is called "Standing In The Shadows Of Motown". Definately worth a look when you are into that classic sound. Lots of old footage plus some live concert footage taken for the film. There may some YouTube clips, I haven't had a chance to look.
    Cheers,
    BTW A couple of year ago my wife and I were in seperate bands, one of her best numbers was "Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow", and my band did "Love Potion #9" and "Stand By Me". These old songs always were the most popular.

Talk about bringing back memories, one just has to love this forum even if for that reason alone. I have trouble remembering how to start a dance we did twenty four hours ago so this stuff is really wonderful.

Thanks y'all.

Hi Cirrus,

You are so right about these great forums. Check out my posting on "lost 45".
    Within a couple of hours I had the track I was looking for and downloaded to CD!

Kool Kat.

love potion no9!love the searchers version,tho,they werent the original artists..and stand by me,ben e king to john lennon..koolkat!and cirrus,yes,beautiful cha cha,merenga type dancing..dont have to be rnr!to enjoy dancing music..ps wont be at the rocknroll championships this year cirrus,work beckons.even on a saturday night.have fun.tezza.

one more group to add,the supremes!had the most hits!lots of internal bitchin...dianna ross,lead singer,future diva,to me an enigma..beautiful yet ugly,always felt she was better than the rest.felt she woud become a millionaress,if she left the group and went solo.well,that happened,the only clip i coud find where,they all looked happy and equal.come see about me.other hits,where?did our love go,baby love,stop!in the name of love,and someday,we`ll be together...

Yes, The Supremes...classic Motown sound. I saw Mary Wilson in concert some years back (along with Chuck Berry, Jerry Lee Lewis, Bo Diddley and Lesley Gore all on the one bill). Diana Ross was fantastic in the film about Billy Holliday "The Lady Sings The Blues"..if you haven't seen it, try and get a look.