The Uptown Catz @ DJ...
Last post by Joseph Breitenfeld
29-02-2024 06:55 PM
0 Replies

Random Member Photos

Closed Thread

Thread: Tamworth 2010

Tamworth 2010

First time for me at the (finished yesterday) 2010 Tamworth Country Music Festival.
    What an amazing event. An entertainment mecca and a unique forum for changing lives and launching stars.
    Entertainment everywhere with bands and entertainers continually performing in many venues and in the streets.

The event is not all country and does flirt with other genres which was the window of opportunity Cliff and the boys climbed in.

Vicrock members would love it I have no doubt. There are big names, small names, unknowns and anything and everything in between to entertain you.

The place is not dry, flat and dusty as I imagined but rather green, lush, hilly and beautiful. The town is very modern mixed with lovely old buildings. There are many pubs which seemed to be filled to the rafters with good folk enjoying the bands and cooling with relief from the heat with refreshments in hand.

We ran into several familiar faces from Melbourne who rocked up to support Cliff and the guys at their gigs. There was also a contigent from the central coast NSW and Brissy who saw the band listed in the official guide so rocked up too. It is great all getting together away from home.

We did not know what to expect at Tamworth, had no real contacts or friends on the inside so looked upon the adventure as a learning opportunity.
    It turned out to be the best. Some amazing opportunities dropped into the band's hands, so they were flat chat. One day they performed pretty much 30 on 30 off from 9am to midnight. They were absolutely stuffed that night. The outcome was some great contacts were made and new fans won. Looks like we will be making the 1152 km trip again in 2011 which is exciting.

Mark from No Brakes (Sydney) was an Atomic Hi-Tone for the event. What a champion and a spunk. Us girls reckon he is delicious. Mark drove the 6 hours from Sydney to help out. After being with our crazy lot, Mark reckons if he was full time in the band, all his earnings would be needed for counciling.

We had awesome roadies. Foxy, Jazza, Brian from the Chromefest gang and Margy. The guys couldn't have managed without their help it was so gruelling a workload.
    The street gigs were unreal. With nearly 700 buskers there was a lot of competition, but the guys hit a chord with the totally new crowd and attracted a big crowd each time they fired up.

If you have never been to this event before, put it on your short list of to do's.

Endeavour Hills, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Re: Tamworth 2010

As a band roadie, my 2010 Tamworth Country Music Festival experience was quite different from last year. Even though the workload was constant and a bit tough in the heat, I felt it a privilege to travel and experience this festival with the Atomic Hi-Tones. And yes Figjam, I’ve had a cuppla counselling sessions since returning from Tamworth but it was all well worth it …LOL. The fun meter constantly hit or exceeded 100 LPM (laughs per minute).

We hit our destination late on Wednesday night 21st January. Our accommodation was arranged through VicRock member ShaunPhantom who’s Mother (Chris) owns apartments in Tamworth. As the first Oxley Bowling Club gig was not until 8.30pm on Thursday night, we had a full day to organise ourselves and explore some areas of the festival. First on the mornings agenda was the purchase of a busking permit.

We handed out Bowling Club gig flyers, checked out a few street performers and merchandise stalls before attending a rockabilly gig by the Flattrakkers at one of the major leagues clubs. They were wired through a massive sound system and were brilliant. Watch out for the Flattrakkers at the upcoming FTG Rockabilly Meltdown. We were amazed how many acquaintances we met up with at this club. People from Wintersun’s Coolangatta & Mildura, Chromefest, Kurri Kurri etc. A perfect environment to promote and exchange ideas.

The distribution of pamphlets paid off as the Oxley BC gig was well attended. Friday morning was an early start. The gear needed to be unloaded and car & trailer out of the blocked-off street before 9am. As you can see in the street busking clip below … some great foot tappin’ and butt-shakin’ live rockabilly music can attract some weird and wonderful people like 75 year-old tap dancin' Billy …
    (to be continued)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jlj4djp-MXw
    Live & let Live, Love & let Love, Rock & let Roll, plus related clichés.

Is That "mr. Bojangles" Making An Appearance At 1.03 ?
    "I shot a man in Reno..Just to watch him Die"

The Friday street busk turned out to be a roaring success in terms of CD sales and promos for the pre-arranged Bowling Club gigs. Slap Bassist Mark from Sydney rockabilly outfit … No Brakes is a very competent player considering the short time he’s been slappin’ the big bull fiddle (2 Years). For a Maltese Falcon, Mark makes a great Italian Stallion and was an excellent fill-in choice for the Atomics. There was time on Friday night to check out the street performers again plus the Lee Kernagan free concert at Bi-Centennial Park.

Saturday morning was another early street set-up, then a wait until the street parade finished before the Atomics fired up again at 10am for Margy & Foxy to sell more ship-loads of CD’s. The Flattrakkers dropped by with some muso support and it was great to see that rockabilly music was being accepted so warmly at this Festival. Personally … it was a thrill for me to see these predominately country music lovin’ people who were movin’ and shakin’ to the sounds of a Melbourne based rockabilly band.

Because of CD sales, Saturday’s plan was to play the street most of the day, have tea, do the freshen up thing, and then slowly set up for the night gig. That plan took a dog-leg to the left when the boys were asked to do a fill-in 3 setter at the Albert Hotel which is considered one of the cream roots-music venues at the Tamworth Festival. Ex bassist of the Salt Flat Trio, Jay McIvor was instrumental in securing this gig for the lads and was publicly acknowledged and thanked for the favour. The Albert Hotel bar manager liked what he saw and assured Cliff that they will call him regarding Tamworth 2011.
    (to be continued)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOMGTNhhn7Q
    Last edited by Jazza; 27-01-2010 at 02:27 PM.

The Albert Hotel gig was a 4 to 7pm slot with the Oxley bowling club gig starting at 8.30. The prior band had a drummer from Melbourne that the Atomics’ Kevin Spiers knew. This drummer allowed Artie to use his kit and with no P.A. to set up, it made the transitions less hectic. It allowed us to part set up Arties drums and the PA at the Bowling Club and get back to the Albert to do some more filming.
    (to be continued)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VruCTah2Qx8

There was a family present at the Saturday night gig that Kevin and Cliff caught up with during the breaks. Their kids have formed a rockabilly outfit that the Atomics played with at Wintersun. They went under the name of the Nobody’s then. They were enthusiastic enough to play a few numbers and the clip below shows some real potential. Good stuff to see.

Saturday saw a 16 hour day with half of that in Peel Street or should I say Heat Street. It was fortunate that Mr fill-in bassist Mark was also a singer and sang for half a set. Cliff’s voice was croaky and Kevin’s was gone. The positive contacts made on the street and at the Albert Hotel plus CD sales came at a price.
    (to be continued)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikfJ7_mtkgs

Brian Fox from Newcastle and Chromefest fame was another of our contingent who had organised a gig through a contact he knew … but …fatigue through lack of sleep plus voice loss issues were deciding factors in declining the invitation to appear at the Battle of the Bands on Sunday.

The Atomics also had to knock back a spot at the Longyard Hotel that was organised through Jay McIvor on the Sunday. The Longyard is another popular venue for roots-music bands. Two gigs lost but a few important booking-agent contacts established.

This report on Tamworth 2010 may differ from the one I wrote last year where I generalised. It may also sound mainly confined around one only non-country band but this is how I experienced Tamworth 2010 with limited movement. I did happen to capture one of my fave bands from last year. Below is a clip of the Perch Creek Family Jug Band at the Albert Hotel (front bar).
    (to be continued)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yNwSYemGbg

There was certainly a positive attitude toward the Tamworth Country Music Festival amongst our contingent as we hit the road on Sunday night. The Atomic Hi-Tones were a big hit with the people. No way were these Mexicans run outta Dodge City, no siree Bob. Just like the Flattrakkers, the Atomic Hi-Tones were looked on favourably and their rockabilly music was accepted as an energetic alternative or more-so … extension to the norm.

Travelling interstate to a major country music festival with a rockabilly band whose music differs from what is generally heard is an experience in itself. Also, there were some old lessons that were brought to light during the trip for me. The cliché “You reap what you sow” really hit home. I was also inspired by being around positive people who made the most of their situation. Tamworth is no Wintersun in terms of first-time acts who are looking for a break. Even though a band or solo artist may initially try Tamworth with no gigs and go in with total speculation, they can always use their trump card which is council approval to busk. This is a stepping stone.

For any Rock & Roll band contemplating a shot at Tamworth, I suggest you try it because there is a different and huge audience you can tap into. Be sure to pack a positive attitude and moderate expectations. I also suggest that if you are going in green … then expect very little remuneration but be prepared for some offers. There’s a saying around Tamworth that Peel Street is where dreams come true, well … may be so but if your first-time experience is not as prosperous as the Atomic Hi-Tones’, there’s always the following year.
    My last bit of advice … “Preparation with positive promotion produces and provides plenty of prospects”.
    I made that one up. Good luck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbuoIXGgeO8

Great posts Jazza you have kept me and I suppose everybody in suspense waiting for the next issue of the Tamworth Festival, love the Vids. We’ve just got to go next year, it looks like a great festival to go to.
    Aspire to inspire - - - before you Expire !

Getting no sleep must agree with you Jazz.
    If 3/4s of vicrock and at least 10 Melbourne bands dont head north next Jan after that capturing of the event, I'll walk there backwards (taking the Wagga route (IN JOKE)).

All that Jazz has presented is but a tince, so you can get an idea of the magnitude of the event. It is sooooooooooooooooo big.
    Jay McIvor (ex Salt Flat Trio) was very instrumental as Jazz indicated, in getting an introduction for Cliff and the guys to one of the major venues. Jay was there (down from Cairns) with his lovely wife and 3 gorgeous little daughters.

Accommodation is varied up there but book early. There is a tent city and many people rent out rooms in their own homes, which adds to the hotel, hotels, caravan parks.

Some added information - we got told by a lady we met in Sydney last time the band was there, that The Narooma Great Southern Blues and Rockabilly Festival is going to become the Batemans Bay Great Southern Blues and Rockabilly Festival. How accurate that is, time will tell.

Tamworth, Narooma/Batemans Bay, Byron's Bay are all events you would enjoy if you enjoy Wintersun. All different, but many people right into it.

Make sure your car is air conditioned.

Thanx for the comment gjo267. The Tamworth Festival is very much worth the trip and I will echo Figjam's suggestion to book your accommodation early. Also, for a bit more info & clips on Tamworth ... check out my write up & vids from last year entitled Tamworth 2009 on this site. As Figam has stated, I've only touched on 1% of what this humongas festival has to offer and there is something at the Tamworth Country Music Festival for everyone.
    Here is another busking clip from Tamworth 2010. This kid was cute and worth a few bucks for his effort.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIDra6rXVxc
    Last edited by Jazza; 30-01-2010 at 05:52 AM.

So sorry to have missed Tamworth this year. I took the 3 kids last year and set up in Tent City. Had a blast and met people from all over. On day 3 had to make a positive decision and cross the river to the music. There are two stages in the camping area, so you don't have to move if you don't want to! We spent a couple of nights at the Oxley BC, and then saw the The Detonators at another hotel too.

Definitely going again next year.