01-03-2024 01:32 PM
0 Replies
The Uptown Catz @ DJ...
Last post by Joseph Breitenfeld
29-02-2024 06:55 PM
0 Replies

Closed Thread

Smile 1,000th Forum Post on Vicrock

Time flies when you are having fun on Vicrock! Can’t believe I have written this as my 1,000th forum post.

I started dancing mainly to 1940’s “Big Band” music like Benny Goodman & Count Basie. But it is Vicrock taking me on a journey to celebrate rock & roll music, dance and lifestyle. It’s a journey of exciting discoveries – of music, bands, dancing and meeting new friends. Traveling backwards, as if in a time tunnel, I have discovered the world of 1950’s rock & roll & rockabilly music, with musical roots stretching back more than 50 years. Retro music it may be but its appeal to me hasn’t diminished with the passing of time.

What a joy dancing to so many good bands over the years and writing about those gigs on Vicrock. Too many to name here but I include Shadoogie, (Crash) & the Fender Benders, Jump & Jive, Atomic Hi Tones, Straight 8s and Firebird. I love interstate bands too like Retro Rockets, Blue Denims, Rusty Pinto & the Continentals.

But Vicrock is more than just rock & roll. It’s also about country rock music and popular bands like Black Hill Ramblers & Prairie Oysters. My musical journey is uncovering new delights almost daily and I have scintillating encounters with “blues”, “roots”, “jump blues” and “neo swing” music and bands ranging from Detonators, Louis King & the Liars Klub, Benny & the Flyby Niters, Dirty Boogie Band and even an international act like the Royal Crown Revue.

But what is music without people and their passion? I have read with interest the contributions from many members and my thanks go to Tezza, Figjam, Shane, Ando, Utopia, Rockin Bones, Roknray, Gjo267, Ginge, DevineMsM, Jazza, Bassthumper, Hotrodgirl, Joceb, Longonebaby & JiverJ.

Early “foundation” members like RobE, Steve, GAG, Frank, Lyndon, Cat, Essex, Tggsb & Whem remain with Vicrock. But there are others who are now no longer active, and I missed the contributions from Aanda, Danny, Allen, Jay, Petticoats, Bruce & Malibu. But who can forget “controversial” members & alter egos like Billie, Millie, Mike, Vertego, Wally, Bree, Zeek, Squid, Claudeballs, Bolto & Bobkats who at one time or another hogged the limelight with their cheeky & provocative views & opinions.

Many highlights for me over the years and I include the RCH & Tsunami Charity & Appeal events. The magic of these events is to witness the coming together not only hundreds of rockers contributing to worthy causes but also the power to draw participation of many 1950’s rock & roll, country rock, blues and rockabilly bands to perform under one roof. The first “rockabilly meltdown” event at the Gully was also special for me and I could still feel the vibe & excitement it generated. The end of smoking in venues, Essex’s idea of a rock & roll calendar, what's a rocker and burlesque dancing all generated some interesting discussions. I also witnessed the blossoming of many a romance during the last few years. Happy rockers make for a happy music & dance scene, and wouldn’t it be wonderful to see our first rocker baby born?

For my next 1000th forum post, I look forward to writing more about our music & dance scene with added vigor & passion. Our scene faces many external forces that compete for our time, money and attention. My wish is to see our live music & dance scene coming together more often in the coming months & years ahead - for “together we conquer, divided we fall”. It would be a dream coming true to see our much loved music & dance scene continuing to flourish for the next 100 years.

Re: 1,000th Forum Post on Vicrock

Congratulations Jitts, a milestone has been reached; for Vicrock some sort of a record I assume.

I have always perused your posts with baited expectation of special humorous prose, some with satirical note, your posts have always been extremely interesting, you seem to have a very active mind, some of the stuff you come up with is extraordinary.
    Keep up the good work and well done!

Ps Would be interested in the Flash mob, may be able to do something if I am over in your neck of the woods at that time. I did see a bit of this type of thing on you tube not so long ago.
    Aspire to inspire - - - before you Expire !

Re: 1,000th Forum Post on Vicrock

Wow!!!!!!! 1,000 post in under 5 years - you have been busy! Not just energetic on the dance floor but also with a keyboard! Thanks for all that you have written in those 1,000 posts. It's always been well thought out and interesting to read, and has made it worthwhile logging on to read what's happening. I'm sure your next 1,000 posts will be just as good. Keep it up.

Cheers
    Jocelyn