01-03-2024 01:32 PM
0 Replies
The Uptown Catz @ DJ...
Last post by Joseph Breitenfeld
29-02-2024 06:55 PM
0 Replies

Closed Thread

Smile Praising Partner Dancing & Its Music

Most of us are sickened by reports each weekend of violence, projectile vomiting and glassing on the streets of Melbourne fuelled by drugs & consuming too much alcohol. We blame it on licensing laws, parents & upbringing, impact of violence on TV & videos etc but Fiona Scott-Norman wrote in the “Age” newspaper today to put forward a different spin on the subject. She laments the loss of partner dancing since the 1960’s and wonders about the impact of certain loud techno music on young people that large nite clubs pump out like an “Exxon Valdez oil spill”.

Like a Foxtel “National Geographic” documentary, young people head into the city every weekend like a “river of frisky spawning salmon nosing their way upstream to socialize with other frisky people with an eye to spawning”. Music is an integral part of the dating & mating ritual. Since the dawn of mankind, music (including rock & roll) has a pivotal role in entertainment & relaxation, to worship God, to learn, to seduce etc. Fiona argues that certain techno dance music today has the exact opposite effect - it’s loud & repetitive and gives you nothing to talk about. It may make you dance like a maniac till 6am the next morning but then feeling terrible when effects of the “chemicals” start to wear out.

Fiona also wrote about the loss of partner dancing for young people since the 1960’s. For centuries, partner dancing allowed young adults to get to know each other socially through non sexual, fun, social ritualized touching. Nite clubs with their loud techno music today are chock full of young people who can’t talk to each other, can’t touch each other like in partner dancing and have zero opportunity for intimacy. The only tools left in their seduction kit for intimacy unfortunately are alcohol, drugs and shouting.

In reality, I am sure our society & young people are a lot more complex than what has been written about. There were reported instances of violence in the early rock & roll days, so it’s probably unfair to blame it all on certain loud techno music. But I do believe partner dancing and rock & roll music, for example, may not be the cure all but have a place in providing safe and relaxing entertainment for those who partake of it.

Re: Praising Partner Dancing & Its Music

Our generation is to blame....

We have molly coddled this generation of kids. That is a documented fact that Generation Y is the most hovered over generation so far.

We.... (generally speaking)

1. Drove them to school when we had to walk or catch the bus'
    2. Sued everyone under the sun if our kid fell of a monkey bar
    3. Allowed them to sit on their asses in front of TV with ipods etc
    4. Took away apprenticeships and full time jobs in favor of casual work
    5. Acted like friends instead of parents and let them get away with heaps
    6. Blamed schools and society when their kids acted like little ****es
    7. Stopped boys being boys at school by not allowing them to dust up
    8. Closed down tech schools and disenfranchised kids who hated VCE
    9. Allowed kids not to take responsibility for their own actions
    10. Allowed kids to disrespect teachers, police and even parents at times

These kids who have been babied for so long then turn 18 and we then send them off telling them theyre all grown up now and theyre allowed to drink and drive cars more suped up than anything we ever drove.

Then we open all night drinking barns for these young kids to go to. When we were younger, venues closed at 3am at the latest and most of us had jobs to go to so we watched what we drank and how much. We'd get the sack if we slept in hungover.

So when you have immaturity, bugger all life experience, no responsibility, all night booze, super fast performance cars. you have a recipe for disaster and no type of dancing is going to solve that problem...

Now I'm talking in general terms here but our generation caused this mess.. The only way for us to fix it is raise the drinking age back to 21 and close venues at 3am again

Thumper
    Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans - J. W. Lennon

Thumbs up Re: Praising Partner Dancing & Its Music

Whoa there! Tony! I think you've been possessed by my dad (God rest his soul...). But I agree with you on this one. Until recently I was working in welfare, and the effects of family breakdown, substance abuse, ignorance, racial prejudice and poverty could be seen in the roaming packs of kids (often under-age) hanging out in places they shouldn't be at ungodly hours.

I think also that - generally speaking - it can be a "generational" thing....in that young people don't often think it "cool" to do what their parents did.
    I remember venturing out onto the dancefloor at Moorabbin Town Hall in 19-? after finishing my school years.(sound like a granny now, don't I...hehe!) but many of my friends thought it "daggy" of me to be going to an "old-time" dance (although the rock n' rollers were in the smaller hall joined on to the big one, and I remember a rocker boy giving me my first lesson in how to jive).
    In the end...I went the way of my peers and headed off to discos, nightclubs and or pubs to see live bands. And the only time people "partner danced" at such places was if they'd just been to see "Saturday Night Fever" and fancied themselves as masters of "The Hustle" (Oh John! (Travolta) Where were you?)
    I can only speak for myself when I say that "partner dancing" went out of my life for many years...but that didn't mean I became a drinking banshee headbanging to the "Sex Pistols" either (not that they were that bad...punk music has it's similarities to rockabilly in terms of it being a bit "alternative" and attracts avant garde styles of dress and hotrod cars.
    I think what Bassthumper says is very sensible...authorities need to realise that some boundaries have to be put back in place to prevent the social mayhem we are often reading about in the papers....otherwise we may as well just take away the speed limits and alcohol limits on the roads as well.
    If there is more guidance and mentors for our young people, maybe they might eventually see pass-times like dancing as cool again

Ms M
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain.