01-03-2024 01:32 PM
0 Replies
The Uptown Catz @ DJ...
Last post by Joseph Breitenfeld
29-02-2024 06:55 PM
0 Replies

Closed Thread

Daggy "Dad" Dancing

New research suggests evolution is to blame for daggy "dad" dancing.

It's that time of year again when a festive drink or two loosens the inhibitions of even the most mild-mannered of middle-aged men and they decide to take to the dance floor for a bout of daggy "dad" dancing. Whether it's your boss, grandfather, uncle, brother, friend or even your own dad, we've all witnessed the display that's like a train wreck — you know it's bad, but you just can't look away.

Scientists from the University of Hertfordshire in the UK have released the findings of a study which may provide serial dad dancers with the perfect excuse, with research suggesting it may be the result of evolution, the UK's Daily Telegraph reported. The research team has suggested that the embarrassing dance moves may be a subconscious way ageing males turn off the opposite sex, leaving the playing field open for younger, more fertile contenders. "The message their dancing sends out is 'stay away, I'm not fertile'," Dr Peter Lovatt, a psychologist involved in the study titled Dance Confidence, Age and Gender, told the Daily Telegraph.

I don’t think I have seen too many examples of daggy dad dancing in our R&R gigs but the moral of the story may be that for you blokes who are “fertile” & seriously looking for soul mates on the dance floor then investing in a few more dance classes may well get you more bangs for your buck?

Re: Daggy "Dad" Dancing

Well stone the crows.... If that research is true it means us older blokes are giving the gals the signal to turn to younger blokes who spend their time nowadays drinking Red Bull, pissing up at night and spending the night in a divvie van or at Saint Vincents casualty....

No wonder why the ladies can't find a decent bloke... Its up to the older members of the brotherhood to show the ladies that we can still treat em well..

Thumper
    Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans - J. W. Lennon

I think most of the girls at rock n roll aren't looking for "fertile" men, we're just looking for a good dance, and we're way past making babies - and boy would reproducing slow down your dancing! Interesting research topic so thanks for sharing that Jitterbug
    Jocelyn

Smile Re: Daggy "Dad" Dancing

I think Joceb’s right about R&R dance gigs generally. In the rockabilly scene, however, there tend to be a higher percentage of the younger crowd present. At the other end of the scale, in the swing dance and neo swing live music scene, I would say the crowd is predominantly in the 18 – 35 age bracket based on my past attendances at Swing Patrol dances or Big Bad Voodoo Daddies’ concerts etc. In fact, I still can’t quite decide whether it was exhilarating or disconcerting to be surrounded by a sea of young faces including punks in such gatherings.

Further update to the new research on “daggy dad dancing”. It seems that while the dancing confidence of men remains constant in their middle years, it shoots up again when testosterone levels fall. It reports that men of retirement age enjoy dancing more than ever and pull off simple dance moves with elegance, the research found. Wonder if there’s any correlation between this and the popularity of some of our R& R dance gigs?

Dr Lovatt is now attempting to discover the reasons some people refuse to dance. Unfortunately, these are not usually middle aged men.

Re the Daggy side of things. It is interesting to see so many women embracing the 50's in style in both the clothing and hairstyles. Men also wear the vintage clothes but the hair. Why do so many continue with the MULLET. . The 50's clothes and the 80's hairstyle just dont look good. Maybe its an aging thing.