0 Replies
The Uptown Catz @ DJ...
Last post by Joseph Breitenfeld
29-02-2024 06:55 PM
0 Replies

Closed Thread

Talking Dear Jitterbug ........

Dear Jitterbug,

I ‘m a middle age male who has taken a keen interest in the 1950’s rock & roll music and dance scene. I have also started rock & roll dance classes and have been to a few dance gigs in town but is finding it difficult getting many dances at the moment. I envy guys like Whem, RobE, Steve, Jamesdeanbro and Tezza who dance so well and are never short of dance partners. Could you help?

Yours sincerely,
    John

Dear John,

Sounds like you are suffering from what relationship experts would call a “desire deficiency” syndrome. But don’t worry - most dancers & rockers have once been inflicted with the same problem. Some are quicker off the mark whilst others take a bit longer to overcome it. Rest assure if you try a few of my simple rules, you just might have no trouble wearing out your brand new pair of dance shoes in quick time…………

Rule No. 1 - have a shower when you go out dancing. Invest in that expensive deodorant that you have put off buying since the last Christmas sale. Dressing up looking like a rocker might help but I feel it’s more useful bringing a change of shirt if you are likely to get sweaty from dancing. For a woman, food may be the way to a man’s heart but for a guy, smelling good is a sure way to getting more dances.

Rule No. 2 - don’t be a jerk spending the whole night just bonding with a group of guys talking footy & sharing dirty jokes. Mingle around, smile & introduce yourself or better still get your friends to introduce others to you. Cultivating friendships first no doubt will secure you more dance partners.

Rule No. 3 – downing a dozen stubbies in an hour may seem a macho thing to do with your mates but it won’t do you much good on the dance floor. Be sensible with your drinks and the ladies will be delighted with your exquisite footwork & balance when you dance.

Rule No. 4 - almost without exception, there‘ll be more females than males at dance gigs. Therefore, half your battle is already won before you even make your first move. But don’t just wait for the ladies to come asking for a dance. Make the first move yourself but try not to put the ladies off by being pushy or rude. Be courteous always. The trick is not to ask the most “popular” ladies for a dance as they already have a legion of men on their dance cards waiting their turn. If you look around, you‘ll find many more ladies there patiently waiting to be asked for a dance. You might get a few knock backs early on, but in time you too will become a “dancing Romeo” with all the ladies.

Rule No. 5 – make sure you are familiar with dance etiquettes. If not sure, consult with the more experienced dancers. Your dance partner wants to enjoy her dance and also to feel “protected” on the dance floor. Believe me, it can sometimes feel like “jungle warfare” on the dance floor. But you don’t want to start a punch up on the dance floor either. A good & friendly dancer makes a popular dancer.

The rock & roll scene is all about having fun so try not to take it too seriously. Good luck, and see you on the dance floor next.

Yours sincerely,
    Jitterbug

Re: Dear Jitterbug ........

Jitts, you are a legend... Sounds like a `Dear John` letter to me. Hey Romeo, where were you a few weeks back when the Burlesque was on at the Nash ????

Smile Re: Dear Jitterbug ........

Who you calling a "Romeo" now, JiverJ? I 've been called many names in the past like "dancing sheepdog" or "dancing gigolo" etc but never before with one made famous by Hollywood studio and Shakespear.

Believe me, I wanted so much to be at the burlesque extravaganza a couple of weeks back. If only I had not been committed by something else a bit closer at heart ..........you still owe me a few dances, JiverJ.

BTW, the post has has been replicated on the "Perthrocks" web site with pictures thrown in as well. If it helps someone to enjoy his dancing a bit more, then I think the post has served its purpose.