0 Replies
Aisha Khan (UK) On Tour
Last post by Jitterbug
20-03-2024 08:53 AM
0 Replies

Closed Thread

Thread: gunna get shot

gunna get shot

Over the years I have noticed when I compliment a band, DJ, venue or similar then all is good - on the odd occassion when I have stated something wasnt quite right I have been shot at from all directions. Well I am going to get shot at again but here goes.
    I love Rock N Roll, I love the music, I love the bands and consider I am spoilt by living in Melbourne where the Rock n roll/rockabilly is so good.
    In the last couple of years I have noticed a big increase in the number of line dances. Why are venue operators & dj's having so much line danceing. I recently went to one venue where between band breaks they played 35 minutes solid of line dances. During other breaks they played a few minutes of lines dances. I dont have anything against line dances and even enjoy the odd one or two myself but venues are playing line dance after line dance, after line dance, not rock n roll. Way too much of it. I pay to go to a rock n roll dance, not a line dance. Line dancing is not rock n roll. My twenty cents worth - fire away...

Re: gunna get shot

I can hear the guns getting loaded now,so all I can do is offer to stand beside you and fight this thing together. I too pay good money to dance rock n roll and get line dancing in between the band breaks. We are forced to either get up and dance a line dance or yarn and go home. We were taught to dance rock n roll and to warm up they would teach a new line dance. I hated that time as I was there to learn rock n roll. We all know the saying that line dancing is for those that dont have a partner to dance with. In my wisdom I complained,fair point was the response but if you look at the steps in the rock n roll routine we are teaching,the same steps are in the line dance also. This was to help the beginners pick up the steps faster than they normally would. I now know a few line dances but choose not to do them.There is a place for line dancing at the dances but I do have to agree, one bracket in between breaks is enough. The DJs out there are continually hammered to play line dance music and really it,s up to the clubs to say no and tell the bands and DJs not to play any other than the one bracket.I see a dance advertised on Vic Rock so I go believing it to be a rock n roll dance.The same dance advertised as a line dance I,d rather stay at home.Then saying all that we must be on our own as there is alot of line dancing going on at these rock n roll dances. It,s a shame so much line dancing is out there at rock n roll dances because the DJs have some great rock tunes they could be playing instead.I know plenty of dances use the line dance bracket to rest ,cool down and would like maybe one line dance in each break then rock n roll music.I know most of us would possibly use this line dancing break to get out and mingle with people,have a chat etc before the rock n roll starts again. My 20 cents worth is it ruins what would have been a good night when they take it as far as you have suggested and play the entire break in line dancing. Good post tggsb
    That,ll be the day the music die,s

Hey Shane, I know where your coming from. Even Iam guilty of playin " RnR waltz, Straycat Strut, Wanderer Ect" to please in band breaks (nearly every friggin night). When I dont I’m always pestered to play them. I tune out and the dance floor packs out. I figure I try and treat the true die hard music lovers with a 100% live performance. The majority of regular punters are there just to dance. I was recently at a gig where the DJ played A Little River Band / Farnham song and they all line danced to it.

Sometimes on stage I feel like I’m part of a four piece metronome.

But if the Melbourne scene didn’t have all the dancers that regularly support the venues, we would have a very small group of people in the scene. Meaning far less venues and only a hand full of live bands.

Bill

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

BING tic tic tic, Bing tic tic tic, Bing tic tic tic ... Sound familiar Billy Roflmao

Oh and Shane, BANNNNNG !!! Hehe

Exclamation Re: gunna get shot

Nice topic; worth a try at a sensible reply.

It was probably Ovid who gave us the Latin tag "Degustibus non est disputandum" meaning there is no sense in arguing about matters of taste. That might be OK for posh dead Roman blokes but Jeez, where the fun? It is always good to argue about what you're into, but don't get too hung about what is said.

Rock'n'Roll dancers were into formation (line) dances from the '50s. The Stroll (between parallel lines of dancers), Madison Time, etc. Also listen to the lyrics of lots of the classic songs. How about " ... you'll be fine if you get in line ... " in the Popeye Waddle by Don Covay 1962?

In my simple view of R'n'R there are very broadly two types of dance venues in Melbourne.
    - Black & White Shoe venues; like Little M's, Dandy Workers, Northside. All of these have an echo of the great days at Pitrone's and I would want the tradition carried on.
    - Rockabilly venues; like The Gully, Micawber, The 'Nash. Great little places with awkward dance floors and terrific Roots Rock music played by world class bands which you can enjoy for just the price of a few drinks.

At Rockabilly gigs I expect to see girls Strolling. This is a "traditional" international R'n'R formation/line dance. (I also like to see guys bopping, but that is something else.)

At Black & White Shoe gigs I expect to dance Rock'n'Roll formation dances. Like Stray Cat, Pennsylvania, Lindy Lark, Jive Bomber, Elvis Legs, Sylvester Strut, In The Mood, Falling of a Log, etc

See some of these on You Tube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6uaUd89zJE https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhJF...eature=channel

I also expect to dance in a progressive Cha Cha and do the Rock'n'Roll Waltz.

(I like Nutbush too and was part of a huge floor of dancers who really got into it at Ashley's Cup Eve Rockabilly show. So maybe there are trends rather than "rules".)

What I do not enjoy are the bloody cowboy line dances that are squeezing out the good old R'n'R formation dances.

"But people like them!" Yeah, but people like to spit too and I don't want that on the dance floor either.

So DJs and venue promoters how about mostly?

- No R'n'R formation dances at Rockabilly gigs in the small venues.

- Continuing with a formation dance break of three or so songs (one of them a bloody cowboy dance if it is absolutely necessary) at big hall venues regardless of the theme and definitely at Black & White Show shows.

Rob Ewart
    Victorian Rock'n'Roll Dance Assoc

www.VRRDA.org.au

It's your Association, get involved. Good ideas are always welcome.
    Make sure your R'n'R club or dance school is getting best value.

Good post RobE, I ain't gunna shot you either Tggsb, mater 'o' fact ,I'll back you up all the way. I particularly dislike intensely (hate) those people who do those partner line type dances & go circling the floor in groups,while the good dance music is on. I rate them as bl**** nuisance pests they think they own the floor, seven times out of ten they can't dance anyway.
    I'm with you Roknray why do the venues allow bands to play that line dance music. Some of these pesky people should start up their own little line dancing venue and leave us rockers alone. We generally pay money to Rock not to pussy foot. Must admit though some music is good, for Straycat, elvis legs,etc.
    Aspire to inspire - - - before you Expire !

This would make a good debate as I dislike line dancing at a R'n'R dances too,
    I do the stroll with the girls I reckon thats pretty kool ,
    I don't mind the couple dance as mostly I see them at a country band gigs,
    They don't mind the R'n'R's also as most of them r'n'r!
    Although I have been at dances where the line dances go
    on & on & on & on & ooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
    & mate I'm just about packed up ready to hit the road home (& I do!).
    I do not do line dancing much at all, but if it is a country music kind of place or gig then I expect to see it all night long, I go to see the band & enjoy the music, I don't go there to watch the dancing or to dance much at that.
    I don't see it as a great problem one or two line dances between the breaks.
    And yes siiirrreee I have seen the endless line dances that go on for way to long & I just don't go back to that venue very often, But! Hey! I'm just one who thinks this way! There are heap that love it & I don't mind one bit as long as the venues are there for the gr8 local bands we have here in town.. Every one has different like to music & dance just enjoy.
    "Just for the HELL of it"

I agree with most of the comments and yes it is a tricky subject. Many may not agree with me but I personally believe that Line dancing is Ok in moderation, but half hour is far too long, especially for people who are there solely to dance rock and roll which is a partner dance, or perhaps don`t know the line dances. This is becoming a major problem at dances in country areas. Most people are just there to have fun and don`t look at the big picture and forget that it was dances like the Twist, the Watusi etc in the 60`s that put an end to partner dancing as the rockers knew it.

Country Bootscooting was pretty big in the 80`s and 90`s but has gradually declined in the last 5 years, and a lot of these dancers have now turned to rock and roll dancing but still love the line dancing. 15 years ago rock and roll lessons consisted of no more than a couple of line dances, this has increased steadily over the last 10 years with teachers looking for new line dancers to come up with, as it seems to be what the students want.

The rockabilly stroll doesn`t seem to be a problem on the dance floor as people have the choice to either stroll or rock and roll to any rock and roll song. I don`t know if there is an answer but I know I want to help keep 50`s rock and roll music and dance alive for future generations to enjoy- so `Don`t Let the Music Die`.
    Last edited by Jiver J; 18-11-2009 at 01:31 AM. Reason: missed word

Talking Re: gunna get shot

I'll take a bullet for all the newbies out there, me included. The best thing about the R'n'R scene is that nobody looks twice at a beginner. The most important thing is that the beginners are there and they are having a go, but that doesn't seem to be what this thread is saying. So, basically some of you folks want a R'n'R venue that runs to their own personal formula and has rules against stuff that seems to be working for a lot of people right now. That's how things get clicky and people start looking sideways at other people because they aren't obeying the rules. Good way to kill off our wonderful pastime I reckon. Same as the ballroom scene... all the old folk just want everything to stay the same so all the newcomers and young folk are bored senseless and leave never to return. If it takes a period of mindless line dancing to grow up a new generation of Rock and Rollers then I am all for it. The line dancing will take care of itself eventually.

Interesting discussion and one that you will never get all to agree on. I personally don't mind a few line dances and most you can do rnr to if you don't want to join the line dance pack. Half an hour might be a bit much though. The number of people who get up to do the line dances is a fair indication of how popular they are, especially for the girls who might not have had enough rnr dances to wear them out, so the guys should be happy to sit and have a rest for a couple of songs. Watching the line dances is also a way of checking out the ladies and their style, and deciding on who you might ask for the next dance. I think line dances will continue to be popular and we should all be able to sit and enjoy the rest and enjoy watching for a few songs. You usually get a grin out of someone going the wrong way at some stage, or you can use it as a good chance for a chat or drink break. Trying to pick up a new line dance by following it is also a challenge that many also enjoy. A few annoying line dances aren't worth ruining your night and making you go home as everyone is there to dance and we should all tolerate everyone else on the dance floor regardless of their style, or dance preference. Mind you everyone is also entitled to an opinion and I hope all the anti line dancers feel better having talked about the issue. So next time they are on, try watching and enjoy the rest, don't get cheesed off about it - lifes too short for that.

Jocelyn

Endeavour Hills, Victoria, Australia, Australia

"Crickey" Shane ... looks like you opened up a can of worms here. No shooting from me mate but I'll prod the worms a bit and say a small amount of line dance music on a night is always fun for some people. DJ Antony has played a bracket or two at the Bright Rod Run over the years and it sure does entertain the kids, teenagers and Mums. Below is a bit of Antony playing the Bus Stop and YMCA at this years run.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7KOrDkZccM
    Live & let Live, Love & let Love, Rock & let Roll, plus related clichés.

Endeavour Hills, Victoria, Australia, Australia

If you look closely at the clip below … you could pick a few VicRock members steppin’ it out to the Stroll … including Jiver J.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSnOJ_PlfXA
    Live & let Live, Love & let Love, Rock & let Roll, plus related clichés.

This topic has already been talked about a little while ago, and there are a few rockabilly line dances that we all done in the days of Springy Rock, Blonde Margy, Cat, Jackie, Rhonda and a few others will remember.

It's a modern world and the newcomers to the rock n roll scene learn these at their lessons, and who cares if they do them in the breaks, they love-em and i think they're alot of fun, plus you don't need a partner.
    I say leave them alone and let them enjoy it, after all it's all about having fun.

The only one we don't do any more is the slosh, you can have a look at that one on you tube, although they don't it quite like we use to.
    Anyway here's a couple of sites for y'all to have a look at, just for fun

http://home.att.net/~boomers.fifties...0_history.html

http://www.history-of-rock.com/danci...he_fifties.htm

and an extra one, be sure to click on some of the links
    http://home.att.net/~boomers.fifties...0_history.html
    La de da de de, la de da de da!!!

Red face Re: gunna get shot

Oh that`s not fair Jazza, evidence of me line dancing !!. Yes it`s true, I have been guilty of it and have been known to enjoy it too. I know them all including some that arn`t even done in Melbourne, the Madison, Burning Love Routine, ABC Boogie, Bartendar Boogie, The Boogie Wheel, the list goes on. They are fun , are brain food and I believe they do have a place in the rock and roll scene, if that`s what people want and enjoy. But let`s not go overboard and forget what 50`s rock and roll is all about and that`s firstly the music and bands, and secondly rock and roll dancing. That`s what I love about the rockabilly scene, the music and bands always comes first, and any line dancing is done in moderation.

Thanks for the great nostalgic sites Hotrodgirl. I enjoyed looking at them .
    Last edited by Jiver J; 20-11-2009 at 11:48 AM. Reason: forgot thankyou.