01-03-2024 01:32 PM
0 Replies
The Uptown Catz @ DJ...
Last post by Joseph Breitenfeld
29-02-2024 06:55 PM
0 Replies

Closed Thread

New Roof For Gully???

It May Be An Often Used Cliche' But, The Roof Was Raised At The Gully Yesterday Afternoon, And Remained So For The Remainder Of The Night. Seriously Though How Can It Get Any Better Than This. From The Opening Number From The Flatfoot Shakers The Energy Was Roof Raising (sic) And Continued For The Next Six Hours Plus. Yes, Six+ (6) Hours. How Can You Comment On The Bands, The Flatfoot Shakers, The Atomic Hi-tones And The Blackhill Ramblers When You Are Still So Excited Form Being Part Of Such A Huge Musical And Dance And Social Night. Boy What A Gig To Remember. As For The Roof, Well, Engineers Will Need To Assess The Damage. Thanks To All The People That Attended, Lots Of New Faces, For The Blast That It Was.

rockergirl Guest

Thumbs up Re: New Roof For Gully???

If you weren't there yesterday then you certainly missed out on an awesome day of music, for whichever band is your favourite you would have to agree that each one was a crowd pleaser. You just had to look around and see the happy faces, dancers enjoying themselves and the spectators tapping their feet. Thanks to Figjam and Cliff for organizing the line up and to all who partipated, be it the bands or dances for a great day of entertainment

Thumbs up Re: New Roof For Gully???

Gag and rocker Great comments re, Gully. I can only add that because of the huge crowd , my prez,s office was overflowing with guests.I was getting a bit pissed of when I noticed most of my paperwork went missing. So much so, that im sorry to say. I have decided to suspend the meet and greet at the urinals, which was such a big hit last year.

Endeavour Hills, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Re: New Roof For Gully???

There was rockin at the Gully for the word had passed around.
    Dunno bout the roof at the FTGH, but the inaugural gig of 2008 at the ‘G’ will go down as one of those all time greats. As Gag described, all hell broke loose when Keiron McDonald and his Flatfoot Shakers got the first wave of punters shakin’ their booty’s through 2 superb sets. As always, Dave Cantrell’s guitar / sing skills was a stand out for me.
    I realise this may sound bias … but the entertainment roll that the Atomic Hi-Tones were on during the Australia Day weekend was of such a high standard & energy, I suspect they may all be ‘Bop-Drug’ tested. Yes folks, the MRDEA (Melbourne Rockabilly Drug Enforcement Agency) may call them in for a random drug test.
    By the time they played the Gully on Sunday, they had pleased the masses at the Victorian Hot Rod Show. Apart from the inventive guitar licks of Kevin Spiers and strong style of Cliff Jolly’s voice, the standing-room-only crowd were toosh-shunting to a different aggression in the AHT’s sound. Their sound just seems so …. tight & together of late.
    I put it down to the engine room duties of drummer Artie Shugg who couples with Mr rhythm himself … big Ray Westcott who officially became fully radio active after the Gully gig. Like the Flatfoot Shakers, the Atomics had the punters jumpin’ all over the place.
    Shane Conners with his Blackhill Ramblers never fail when it comes to entertaining first timers or regular followers of this band. I think it’s a combination of a popular song repertoire coupled with Shane’s style of delivering these classic songs to his audience. The stand-in of former drummer Rod & help from 18 year old Philip on slap bass did not deter from a hootin’, hollerin’ n’ fun time sound.
    Thanx to Cliff & Maryane Jolly … the whole day was run so smooth and so fun-filled. I was proud to be involved in it. Thank you to everyone who supports this gig. There’s more fun days & surprises to come when you rock the 'G' in future.
    Jazza.
    Live & let Live, Love & let Love, Rock & let Roll, plus related clichés.

Standing Room Only

I had a top day too. Much appreciation all round always, but especially to Georgia the FTG manager who's idea it was to make the first Sunday for 2008 run later with more bands seeing the next day was a public holiday.
    A win/win for everyone.

There was a bit of fun with name labels. I forgot wristbands but found some blank address labels in my bag plus the hotel had a Heinekin rubber stamp I could use. The textas came out and some funny names started appearing on chests.

3- Feb The Blackhill Ramblers are back again next week by coincidence and popular demand.

10 Feb - The Detonators
    17 Feb - The Flatfoot Shakers.
    24 Feb - Flyin Saucers

Endeavour Hills, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Re: New Roof For Gully???

Click on pix to enlarge.
    Live & let Live, Love & let Love, Rock & let Roll, plus related clichés.

Talking Re: New Roof For Gully???

Yep, Rnrphantom and I were at the Gully on our "Date Night" no kids and on the BMW motorbike. It was not only our first dance for 2008 but our first since Easter last year. We'd taken a break after retiring from the ARRAS committee, but after dancing the night away we realised we'd missed it and so have made it our mission to test out some of the other venues we haven't been to yet, like the Nash and Micawber tavern etc etc.
    It was nice to see so many familiar faces again.

Great job everyone, yummy dinner too

Kkitten

Re: Standing Room Only

yes, great day, indeed!
    so much music, what a fantastic way to start Church again for the year.

Quote Originally Posted by FIGJAM View Post
    .....plus the hotel had a Heinekin rubber stamp I could use.
    yeah, i thought i'd broken out in some terrible condition when i looked at my back and arms the next day.....
    someone was stamping me without my knowledge. I feel so violated!