Top night out ..The...
Last post by GJR's
01-04-2024 01:08 AM
0 Replies

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Sad news from Sunbury

Quote Originally Posted by MRRPaul View Post
    OK, I sent mine and I'll post the reply, if I get one.

Hey, KKitten, don't be amazed... it's my end of town too. ...and if I had dollar for every time i heard a wife say something like: "Oh I wish my husband would dance with me like that" I have quite a few dollars. Maybe if they completely kill R'n'R in Sunbury you and Rob might like to come North and do a bit of ballroom for a change... we often break for Rock'n'roll and a bit of line dancing at half time
    That's not a silly idea Paul, because we once signed up for dance lessons and we got the tango alright, but one of the dances we were learning we kept breaking into rock n roll and he kept spinning me when he wasn't supposed to and we'd be in hysterics so we stopped going, because some of them were so stuffy and serious. I like linedancing and had private lessons for a while but it upset my hip a fair bit and Rob thought he was too cool for linedancing LOL.
    What nights are you dance lessons on?

Wink Re: Sad news from Sunbury or MAYBE NOT!

The ball has started rolling...

Barry from the Leader called me to say it's time to do another article about The Festival and Rock n Roll day, he's looking for Baby ruth and MRRPaul to get a quote from for the article and is going to use babyruth's email for the newspaper's editors column.

MRRPaul and babyruth would you give Barry a call or email him on the previous email address I posted please? Thank-you so much for your help!

Smile Re: Sad news from Sunbury

Hi, I am working night shift at the moment so I was fast asleep with the phones off when Barry Kennedy rang. Somehow he tracked down my partner (he's good) and spoke to her. She hasn't read this post so she apologizes in advance if she has destroyed the hobby as we know it
    I rang Barry back as soon as I woke up and I hope I have helped the cause. There are a lot of issues here that really should see more light on these pages such as venue costs, availability etc. There are some smart people (Wintersun, Barham) that see the dancing community for what it really is... out for a fun time, willing to spend money, unlikely to get insanely drunk and definitely not about to trash a town or a venue.

Thumbs up Re: Sad news from Sunbury

Hi MMRPaul.

No worries, but thanks for getting back to Barry, he's keen to get this going and maybe he should take deticive lessons if he's that good at tracking someone.

Got some more ideas for Venues I just need to find out how to approach them with our ideas.

Don't foget to tune into 99.3- "Rock Therapy" tomorrow night 7.00- 9.00pmWe'll be featuring Artists like: Roy Orbison, Johnny Horton, Johnny Burnette, Huge Aussie content, Warren Smith, Sophia Wolff,Josie Kreuzser,Ronnie Self and Ricky Nelson. Plus more...

Wink Re: Sad news from Sunbury

Hey Rockswingdanceland people. I have been following this Thread with great interest. Rob's idea is very good.I have shot off some emails.These organizer people should be made accountable, after all it is the communities money they are playing around with.
    Now I had a bit of a squizzy at the web for the festival, and it seems that a M/s Marie Vamvakinou Federal Minister of the Australian Parliment is a Diamond member of the committee. Now her Email is marie.vamvakinou.mp@aph.gov.au
    Don't think she will want to be caught up in all this, especially adverse publicity, so she too should receive some representations via Email . It could help to save our music with a little Federal push. https://vicrock.com.au/community/ima...s/rolleyes.gif

As a previous Committee Member and President of the Sunbury Festival, I’m appalled that the New President has come out with her remarks on (Daggy)
    Rock’n ‘Roll.
    My question is why would she in her first year change a format that has been working for five years and is very successful.
    We brought Rock’n’Roll into the Festival and made it a two day event with Sunday to be the Rock’n’Roll and Show’n’Shine. Rob and Kim were the master minds in this venture, starting of with one band (McFly’s) and a few Hot Rods, Since the first year the Sunday has grown each year, and it become possible to start bring some of the finest Rock’n’Roll and Rockabilly Bands to the festival also the Show’n’Shine just keep getting better even the punters stated coming in hundreds (NOT LEAVING).

The Sunbury Festival Rock’n’Roll Day was starting to be a Annual Event on the Rock’n’Roll Calender, last year was my last involvement at the Festival I personally thought that it was one of the biggest I seen this with Punters from all over Victoria, even from Ararat which had the Jailhouse Rock Festival on at the same time, punters from Albury and even a few Rock’n’Roll Venue Operators were there.

If you would like to express complaint email Ann Potter who is a Hume Councillor in Sunbury and a Committee Member of The Sunbury Festival email annp@hume.vic.gov.au

I’ve also spoken to Rob and Kim, Rob told me what he had arranged for the Next Year Festival, if the Festival continue to go down this path, there will be a lot of disappointed punters.

Kempy from the Mighty Murray
    Kempy Entertainment
    Rockabilly Rob (Kempy)
    Radio EMFM - 104.7FM
    0425 800 337

Wink Re: Sad news from Sunbury

Kempy- Thank-you.

Would you email that whole post to the leader to either or both of these addresses:

kennedyb@leadernewspapers.com.au

Editorial
    Editor: George Ierodiaconou
    Phone: 9744 9333
    Email: sunbury@leadernewspapers.com.au

They wanted quotes to put in the next article , maybe they'd use yours!

Say Hi to WWW for us!!

Hi Kimmy and Fellow Rockers It great to be on Vicrock again since my shift to the Mighty Murray, with this disgraceful action of the Sunbury Autumn Festival to drop Sunday Rock'n'Roll Day. I've already sent my reactions to the Leader Press and will be talking to them on Monday, also spoken to Jack Medcraft a ex Concillor for Hume and ex member of the Festival who is on the case, also spoken to Jack Ogilive a current Concillor for Sunbury with Hume Council, he was amazed with the festival desicion to go this way, after the success we have had over the last five years.

Also support Rob & Kim with there Rock Therapy Friday Nights on 3NRG - 99.3FM

Kempy
    Radio EMFM - 104.7fm
    0425 800 337
    Last edited by kempy; 03-02-2008 at 08:34 PM.

Good Going Kkitten.....
    "Just for the HELL of it"

Seems to me that there are a lot of people who have not read what was actually said. Rock and roll is daggy and the bands are old. Where are the young rock and roll bands? Shadoogie is one of Melbournes most successful rock and roll bands. I would love to know the average age of the band. I would also suggest that they were slightly more energetic when they played in their twenties than now. We do have an image problem with young people. There are very few teenagers coming to dances and remember rock and roll was a teenage dance. Elvis aimed all his early songs at 14 year old girls. I think this is perhaps an opportunity for the rock and roll community to face some general community opinions and do something about it rather than say they dont exist.

Exclamation Re: Sad news from Sunbury

Hey Allen
    Rock & roll may be "Daggy" and some bands may have oldish looking members, this is a matter of opinion. There are plenty of good Bands out there with young looking members,and might I say very successful "Operator Please ","Girl VS Ghost","Jurassic Crusade", "Wasted Millions"," Shihad" , "Blue Bird" & "Strange Brew" just to name a few. We basically, probably don't mind what the music is, long as it is dance-able, there is plenty of opportunity for young & old, to have an enjoyable time with some good music & good dancing. Elvis probably isn't in the equation, I have been dancing from the 60s era, we didn't care much what the band was, or how old the musicians looked,as long the music was good and dance-able, Now if Ms Fi needs young looking musicians, they are out there, all she needs to do is have a look, she will find a multitude of very good bands with young musicians.
    I do draw the line though with some of the drunken violence that happens at some of the venue's now, where these type bands play.On the positive side alcohol consumption does loosen the purse strings considerably.

My whole objection to the demise of the Rock'n'Roll day is that it was done without consultation of the committee by some uninformed people who were looking after their own interests, with no vision to the future, or knowledge of the RnR scene. The festival is a two day event and on the Saturday, there is a seperate youth stage set up with music to cater for the younger people featuring local youth bands and also general bands playing throughout the day and night on the main stage for the general community.
    The Rock'n'Roll day was set up as a themed, alcohol free family day incorporating a Show'n'Shine. It was to be something different from the everyday community festivals that all play a mixture of general music.
    Over the last 5 years, the Rock'n'Roll day had continued to grow and attracted people from all over the state. This had the potential to grow into a main event on the Rock'n'Roll calendar.

Posted in the Sunbury Telagraph Tuesday 5th February 2008

"Just for the HELL of it"