0 Replies
The Uptown Catz @ DJ...
Last post by Joseph Breitenfeld
29-02-2024 06:55 PM
0 Replies

Closed Thread

Thread: Please Explain

Please Explain

I have just received my email from Vicrock stating the 4 bands on for January 27th at Georges. The Ferntree Gully Hotel also has 3 bands on for January
    27th. These two venues are close to each other and this is not the first time it has happened. Why do they insist on 'competing' with each other buy putting on a multiple band line up on the same day? I have been involved (years ago) with puttin on events and this sort of thing benefits no-one. There are 3 days in this long weekend, why not co-ordinate so that everyone benefits?

Am I the only one who thinks this way!

Re: Please Explain

I agree with you Redback, But Georges had the 4 band line up advertised in November 2007 long before the gully thought of putting 3 bands on.
    Apart from that The Gully caters to the rockabilly music while Georges do state that sundays are the Blues Klub just a slight difference in music style

Endeavour Hills, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Smile Re: Please Explain

Hey Redback … some points to consider.
    As your post is an interesting one, you deserve (at least) some answers, thoughts, suggestions to ease you in your dilemma. Maybe an explanation may not be necessary??
    In a different situation, your “doubling up’ on the same day” point may be valid, but as Lisanne states … The types of bands & music styles do differ. Generally on a Sunday, Georges = BLUES … ‘Rockin the Gully’ = Rockabilly. Also, the venue times do not overlap.
    Are you sure you have not mistaken the FTG Hotel for the Micawber … This Tavern runs the same time as Georges. Both these venues cater for dancers but also have different styles of music on a Sunday night.
    Personally, I think … not only the music styles, but the three venues (FTGH, Georges & Micawber) and the way they are run, are as different as chalk & cheese. As different as the promoters & helpers that put the gigs together.
    On the point of you suggesting it does not benefit anyone, well … I know a couple who live near Lismore in northern NSW. These lovers of dance are so envious of this sort of problem. So much so that they are moving down here for the variety & choices of music and venues. I suggest you don’t think of it as competition Redback, think of it as lotsa choices. That’s a huge benefit for the punters. There’s plenty to go around.
    I am a small cog in promoting the ever popular “Rockin’ the Gully” on Sundays. Personally, I have no need to compete. I give three fifths of no-thought of what venue advertises whatever on a particular date. Or claims that people can read the minds of FTGH staff (slight humor there John). But I do know that all venues must compete in some way because that’s their livelihood. If the bar till don’t sound that ring, the gig on that particular day/night falls over .. It’s not rocket science.
    Bands work in with venues & vise versa re: dates and times and sometimes there is an unawareness of what other venues are planning. Certain styles of bands, music, themes work during certain times of year.
    Anyway Redback … I’m off my soapbox now. By the way … If you need a heavier fix of Blues music, I strongly suggest another venue that has what I consider the best value for money blues on a weekly Saturday night. Just check out the standard of acts on the flyer … AND it’s free entry.
    I hope my explanation is sufficient for you RB. At least eases your mind. I may not agree with you, but validate your concern. Good post.
    Jazzman.
    Live & let Live, Love & let Love, Rock & let Roll, plus related clichés.

Thanks to you both Lisane and Jazza.

I think the most important difference for me is yes, it is two styles of music. Going to see 7 bands on a Sunday arvo/evening is not really what I would want. However, as you say, there are many places for people to go and you are very fortunate on your side of town.

Thanks again, I appreciate the time you took to reply and maybe I was wrong about them 'competing'.

Hi Redback,
    Some additional information for you.
    Advertising that the Gully was starting back on the 27th Jan 08, was also commenced back in November.

We had intended having the usual one band, usual time, but the hotel manger suggested a bigger night because of the long weekend situation.
    Just one of those things, that there is also a choice of probably 10,000 other places to go to on the same night.

It happens to us a lot, where something we have advertised and planned for some time (and well before anyone else with similar entertainment has gone public), ends up with competition on the day or night.

Thats just how it is. Free enterprise they call it.
    With 4,000,000 people in Melbourne, there are sure to be many looking for something to do.
    Last edited by FIGJAM; 23-01-2008 at 11:36 PM.