0 Replies
The Uptown Catz @ DJ...
Last post by Joseph Breitenfeld
29-02-2024 06:55 PM
0 Replies

Closed Thread
    Essex Guest

Rockabilly Meltdown Jolly Style....

Just wanted to add that I had a fabulous day on Sunday. It was so well organised and everyone was blown away by the venue, the atmosphere and the music.

Well done to two of the nicest people around. I also really appreciate all the hard work they do and know that their hearts are always in the right place and they do what they do so well because they love the music and the people.

I speak to many others who think a lot of Cliff and Maryann and their efforts and contribution to keep the entertainment coming.

Thanks for it all

Hey and just want to add - can't wait for the next Meltdown!

Smile Re: Rockabilly Meltdown Jolly Style....

Hey Essex - next "Meldown"? LOL

I too consider the Jollys as doers and achievers. They have started venues, organised numerous gigs, introduced new bands, provided gig opportunities for various bands and continue to have ongoing passions and ideas to promote R&R and Rockabilly in Melbourne. We punters and the R&R/Rockabilly world have benefited as a result.

Thanks Jollys for the huge gig last Sunday at the Gully. Like Essex, I too would like to know when we are having another Meltdown?

Essex Guest

Re: Rockabilly Meltdown Jolly Style....

thanks Jitters - I have fixed it now blah blah blah - 50 characters....

Thumbs up Re: Rockabilly Meltdown Jolly Style....

Hey.This is my third atempt to post about the fantastic weekend just gone. I wrote a very witty revue about sunday arvo ,only to hit send and drop off the net not once but twice. .Better late than never. What I think I said was ....what a fantastic day we had .The highlight of the year for me. Then I went on to say ,Thank you Cliff ,Maryanne Jazza and all the organizers for putting on a event that will be talked about fondly for years and years Then I said .. blaaa ..blaa..bla Then I said .. 9 cans of V.B for the day at $5 a shot...

I certainly agree with all of the above sentiments, but, hey not so fast with the 'can't wait for the next one' quote. I am still recovering and enjoying the memories. What a great day and night. Thank you everyone (people I know and people I don't know) for making it such a fantastic event. Nothing like this so far that I have experienced in Australia. Beats the hell out of any gig at Wintersun.
    And Oh Essex, it was the very first time that I have ever seen you even look like you raised a sweat. usually always so neatly composed. Ha, says it all about the day.
    Question, where the hell did Hank, as of Jalopy Demons end up?. Uhmmm.

Thumbs up Re: Rockabilly Meltdown Jolly Style....

Well said Essex,,,,,,, you've said it all,,, not much more to say except my own personal
    "THANK YOU"

Just a message from some Rockabilly lovers in Geelong. What a great day. Thank you so much to Cliff, Maryanne, Jazza and all who helped organise, etc, etc. Give yourselves a big pat on the back. Can't wait for the next one, although if word gets around like I know it is, a bigger venue might be needed - to fit all the extra hotrods, etc that will want to participate in the Show and Shine and also the extra stalls that may want to be included and of course all the extra Rockabilly fans who will definitely want to come along. Thanks again to all of you for a great way to end our weekend.
    Lea & Noel

Endeavour Hills, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Wink Re: Rockabilly Meltdown Jolly Style....

Dreams become passion … passion with dreams becomes ideas … ideas with passion become discussion … discussion & passion becomes adrenalin … adrenalin becomes work (months before the ‘Meltdown’). Mix all this in a big bowl, pour out in a tray and you get dreams, passion, discussion & adrenalin.
    Bake for a while till the day of the Meltdown. Delegate these baked ingredients and transform into 11 hours of more hectic work on the day. The reason you get through the day is because of a cuppla bites outta the passion-baked cake.
    The end result … a taste of success. The reward … to mention a few … Witnessing happy punters, including interstaters, stall holders, venue manager & staff, happy musos, dancers, the laughter, the fun and the whole day & night that croozed so smoothly. At the end of the night … bed … and more dreams ... the cycle continues.
    “Whenx the next one” you may ask in your posts? And a very valid question I might add. Well … how long is a piece of string? There’s an answer to this question you know. So whenx the next Meltdown? Watch this space in December. How long is a piece of string you may still ask? … well … twice - half the length. LOL.
    Jazzman.
    PS. re: The Cliff & Maryann accolades.
    I’m glad that other rock n’ rollers acknowledge the contribution that the Jolly’s have made in the 6 years they’ve been in the Melbourne rock & roll scene. For every 25 percent of gigs they have acquired for themselves, means 75 percent of work for other bands… go figure. Why then … do some still need to condemn??? The math may work, but accusations do not … still figuring. Some response would be of help … at least intriguing.
    Live & let Live, Love & let Love, Rock & let Roll, plus related clichés.

I do not profess to know too much about the "history" of the rock n roll scene in Melbourne but for my short time around I see the Jollys hard work in getting venues up and running - for example - the Monash - where not only Cliffs band plays but a large number of other bands get to strut their stuff and then some fool comes out and is critical - my own thoughts are then when others are prepared to put in the time, effort and money, get venues up and running and provide venues for a number of bands then they can condem if they still feel the need.
    I couldnt make the Gully last Sunday but have spoken to a number of people who went and they tell me it was fantastic - I am glad for the Jollys, Jazza and others who put in the hard work that it was such a success - well done to you all and keep up the hard work. Mere punters like myself appreciate all your hard work.

As a wallflower and a watcher, I appreciate the 'doers' who put on gigs of this calibre. I cannot begin to imagine the hard work and time it would take to organise and pull off a gig of this size. Congratulations to all those involved in Sunday's Rockabilly Meltdown.

Essex Guest

Hannara I am amazed and disappointed that you would put that information onto a public forum! One can only assume the people (you refrained from actually mentioning) didn’t send you an email outlining all their personal details ‘out of the blue’. There would have been some sort of dialogue, interaction, discussion beforehand. Or maybe they just sat there one day and thought ‘who can we send all our personal and financial information to?’ – let’s pick someone we don’t know.

You mention being ‘professional’. If you consider yourself to be professional in your conduct, surely you would not be discussing such things to everyone on VicRock… Even if an email was sent – I would have thought “professionalism” would mean you would not use the information in such a manner.

This thread is now way too personal and it is probably time it finished.

Fully Agree With Everything You Have Posted Essex. Sad To Say Though I Have To Laugh At The Naivety, Lacking Social Understanding, And Lecturing (implied) By Many Of The Posters On Topics They Begin With, Or Imply, As 'i Am Not Taking Sides", Or "an Outsiders Opinion. Now That Is Funny Really.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Maryann and Cliff..... you are both wonderful genuine caring people that have been doing this for the love of the music and not for your own egos. Congrats on your achievement on Sunday. Outstanding effort. I haven't stopped talking about it to anyone who will listen. When I walked in the door at the FTGH, I was blown away by the atmosphere. It's a credit to you guys and all who helped in the organisation of this great event.

Also, I would just like to say that I will NOT be supporting organisers that are underhanded and need to steal venues and ideas from others, rather than make the effort, take the risk and open a venue on their own accord and come up with their own ideas and marketing. I'm sorry..... but those of you (you know who you are) should be ashamed of yourselves. Very disappointing.