01-03-2024 01:32 PM
0 Replies
The Uptown Catz @ DJ...
Last post by Joseph Breitenfeld
29-02-2024 06:55 PM
0 Replies

Closed Thread

News Desk submissions – once every 7 days

For obvious reasons promotion of a particular gig, dance or event on the front news page is only permitted once every 7 days.

Members have been submitting promotions for their events more often, the most common reason being they weren’t aware that someone else had already done so recently.

Members need to make sure that they check the News Page to see if a promotion for their event hasn’t already been submitted in the last 7 days.

To avoid the frustration of producing a news item with graphics, only to find it wont be posted because someone else has already submitted a few lines of text on the same subject, members need to communicate with other parties concerned with the event to establish who will be submitting the news item.

Please note also that news items appear on the front page in the order in which they are submitted not when they are approved. I have no control over this. This means that if I hold off approval until the required period of time has elapsed, the news item will appear well down the list on the front page. I’m sorry but if your news is submitted by mistake, the only way to insure it gets listed near the top of the page is to resubmit it again on the correct day.

In future I wont be informing members that I couldn’t approve their submission, they will know why. If there is no obvious reason then its because I’m just not home to do it yet.
    ~ Mel ~

Re: Important changes to VicRock

Hi Mel. Just wanted to raise minor point, not related to all the good work you are currently doing.
    You bumped my notice yesterday re Coburg Town hall dance bc cant be advertised twice in one week. But I see retro rockets have a couple of ads in 'latest topics'. What is the logic there? Just trying to clarify. Cheers

Re: News Desk submissions – once every 7 days

Xlfalcon, I moved your post to this thread already started about this subject.

The seven-day rule was brought in to stop people flooding the Front Page with promotions for the same event and only applies to posts made in the News Desk forum.

The list of latest topic on the left pulls information from all the other forums in which there are no restrictions.

You can read more about the 7 day rule in the post above…
    ~ Mel ~

That lucky seven rule is about as clear to me as Chinese Algebra! There are currently 3 ads for retro rockets on the front page. (BTW I will go and see RRs this w/end)

The posts in the news items for the Retro Rockets are for two separate gigs XLfalcon.

The other Retro Rockets item is a forum post, not a news item post.

Noticable that this rule doesn't seem to apply to the gig at Greensborough tonight...
    A Good Dance is worth the time it takes to get there.
    "Life may not be the party we hoped for... but while we are here we might as well dance!"
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

This will happen from time to time Clive as the moderators and myself are not on the site 24/7.
    ~ Mel ~

Hi Mel

Just a suggestion... But why don't we remove gig announcements off the news desk and have a "Whats On This Week" section.

Bands now wait till the very last minute to post because posting too early means it gets drowned out by a stack of news items that follow it and they only get one chance to post per week.

The "Whats On This Week" page could be linked to the Calendar but if possible visible on the front page to make it easy to navigate. Bands, clubs, organisations etc advertise the events theyre involved with during that given week and thats it. Any reference to future gigs will be wiped by the moderators for fairness.

That way the news desk we're familiar with can have items news outside of a given week about upcoming concerts requiring people to book ahead, competitions, artist news etc.allowing the gigs to remain visible in a separate section longer.

For all I know it may be technically impossible but I thought I'd throw my two cents worth

Tony
    Last edited by bassthumper; 14-06-2009 at 05:13 PM. Reason: extra info
    Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans - J. W. Lennon

Hi Tony

Briefly, I understand from your post you are suggesting a 'what's on this week' listing be added to the front page for bands and their gigs and the existing 'news items' be used for all other announcements.

Its something I have been looking at for some time and tried to implement unsuccessfully last year but I couldn’t get the software to work the way I wanted it to. I am looking at upgrading the site software in the not too distant future.

The plan is that bands and event organisers only need to list their gigs in the gig/events calendar to be seen on the front page. It also means that bands that now use the front page and don’t use the events calendar will start to do so making it a more comprehensive guide.
    ~ Mel ~