01-03-2024 01:32 PM
0 Replies
The Uptown Catz @ DJ...
Last post by Joseph Breitenfeld
29-02-2024 06:55 PM
0 Replies

Closed Thread

New Code of Conduct

In the Age, this morning, was a front page report of Jimmy Wales (founder of Wikipedia) & Tim O’ Reilly coming together to draft the release of “The Code of Conduct” for online blogs and forums. It seems they are sick and tired of the “potty mouth” bloggers and also they are concerned by the online bullying and general degeneration of civility on the internet. Obviously for their trouble, they are now being called “Blog cops”, “the new Gestapo” etc

Their “Code of Conduct” in many ways are similar to our VicRock Forum Rules. For your information, the Code is listed below:

1. We will not post unacceptable content

2. We wonÂ’t say anything online that we wouldnÂ’t say in person

3. When we encounter conflicts and misrepresentation, we make every effort to talk to the person(s) involved before we published

4. When we believe someone is unfairly attacking someone, we act.

5. No anonymous comments

6. We prefer not to respond to nasty comments about us, as long as they arenÂ’t abusive or libellous

Also just for your information, if you are not aware, the Malaysian Government through its State owned newspapers have recently brought legal action against a couple of very popular local Malaysian social-political bloggers claiming they have defamed and misrepresented the Government. This is pure INSANITY in using the whole government machinery to gag and intimidate a couple of its law abiding citizens. Socially responsible bloggers here in Australia and worldwide – Please stand up for your rights, and never ever let such perverse practices by Governments to creep into our democratic society.

Socially Responsible Bloggers Rule!!
    B) B) B)

Re:New Code of Conduct

I agree with you JB to a point...

This website for example has had its moments but in comparison to other forums and weblogs, this place is very civilised indeed...

The internet for some people is a place which they believe gives them licence to be total arseholes...

The general rule of thumb should be

THOU SHALT NOT POST ANYTHING WITH WOULD NORMALLY RESULT IN ONE RECEIVING A SMACK IN THE MOUTH IF IT WAS SAID IN PERSON....

But people hide behind their little aliases and throw their little grenades thinking theyve made a point... Bollocks... Noone can take you seriously if you dont back up a point with fact and your own identity.

I think a code of conduct is a good thing and it will take time to set one up thats close to satisfactory. But people scream blue murder about the internet.. Try writing a letter to the editor in a newspaper to make a point.. They have the same set of rules man on noone argues with that.

As for governments?? Dont point the finger at Malaysia JB... The US and Australia are just as bad.. a little more subtle... but just as bad.

Thumper
    Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans - J. W. Lennon

I agree with 95 % of the general comment from both Jitterbig and Bassthumper but I cant agree with you Bassthumper about comparing the American or Australian governments with Malaysia. Whilst our government is bloody hopeless in so many aspects you can still be openly critical of it and say basically what you like, you cannot in places such as Malaysia, Iran, Zimbabwe and so on. I know there is a lot wrong in this country but I still believe we have are a great nation where generally you can speak your mind, even be it on the internet.

bassthumper wrote:
    As for governments?? Dont point the finger at Malaysia JB... The US and Australia are just as bad.. a little more subtle... but just as bad.

Thumper[/quote]

Could you give us a quoted example?

raven

tggsb wrote:
    I know there is a lot wrong in this country but I still believe we have are a great nation where generally you can speak your mind, even be it on the internet.
    That is true for the US as well. Freedom of Speech, in conjunction with the intellect and wit necessary to wield it properly, are the foremost tools available to political columnists or cartoonists, who today are attacking even that sacred cow, the US Supreme Court :laugh:

You are right, Tggsb. No doubt whatsoever that Western democracies like Australia, UK and the USA practiced a brand of “freedom of speech” that is more palatable and acceptable to many individuals.

But Thumper is right in referring to subtle practices and the equally contemptuous conspiracy of certain governmentÂ’s tendency towards press and modern media manipulations including deliberate omission of facts, the colouring and/or selective release of information to influence public opinions, gagging of public servants to speak openly all in the name of national security and interest. Think race segregation, apartheid, NixonÂ’s Watergate, the CIA secret war and bombings in Cambodia, BushÂ’s Weapons of Mass Destructions or HowardÂ’s Children Overboard affair, AWB Wheat scandal or even the general demonizing of all things Islam today just to name a few. Are these the examples you are looking for, Raven?

There will always be idiots amongst us who will abuse freedom, speak evil or do damage but thank God for “free” press in Australia even if one has to keep an eye closely on the global ambitions of the Murdochs or the Packers. And the existence of great institutions like the ABC, Council for Civil Liberties, Royal Commissions and the great many men and women who dare speak their minds without fear or favour.
    B) B) B)

Jitterbug wrote:
    You are right, Tggsb. No doubt whatsoever that Western democracies like Australia, UK and the USA practiced a brand of “freedom of speech” that is more palatable and acceptable to many individuals.

But Thumper is right in referring to subtle practices and the equally contemptuous conspiracy of certain governmentÂ’s tendency towards press and modern media manipulations including deliberate omission of facts, the colouring and/or selective release of information to influence public opinions, gagging of public servants to speak openly all in the name of national security and interest. Think race segregation, apartheid, NixonÂ’s Watergate, the CIA secret war and bombings in Cambodia, BushÂ’s Weapons of Mass Destructions or HowardÂ’s Children Overboard affair, AWB Wheat scandal or even the general demonizing of all things Islam today just to name a few. Are these the examples you are looking for, Raven?
    I was looking for AN example of when the US government ever brought legal action against a couple of very popular US social-political bloggers claiming they have defamed and misrepresented the Government, as was stated above for Malaysia. Doing so is illegal according to the first amendment of the US consitution and the American Civil Liberties Union would be on their backs in a second.

All those scandals you mentioned are examples of government actions, not of public bloggers comments, and all were eventually exposed. You know about them today due to the public's LEGAL right to question and criticize and comment on unpopular government policies openly and to the work of investigative newspaper reporters or both.

There will always be idiots amongst us who will abuse freedom, speak evil or do damage but thank God for “free” press in Australia even if one has to keep an eye closely on the global ambitions of the Murdochs or the Packers. And the existence of great institutions like the ABC, Council for Civil Liberties, Royal Commissions and the great many men and women who dare speak their minds without fear or favour.
    This is exactly what I said about the US government, which has no "subtle" way that I know about of bringing LEGAL action against such abusers. And the American Civil Liberties Union is the watchdog there. The deliberate omission of facts and the colouring and/or selective release of information to influence public opinions is not bringing legal action. Nor does gagging public servants to speak openly all in the name of national security and interest, which means not divulging sensitive information to the press. It may be an infringment of freedom of speech, but sometimes too much freedom is a dangerous thing.

Ravenrocks wrote:

"I was looking for AN example of when the US government ever brought legal action against a couple of very popular US social-political bloggers claiming they have defamed and misrepresented the Government, as was stated above for Malaysia. Doing so is illegal according to the first amendment of the US consitution and the American Civil Liberties Union would be on their backs in a second".

Raven – you are right in pointing out that the examples I have given are mainly a result of governmental actions or the lack of it, and not of bloggers’ comments. Before I comment further, it may be of interest to some that there are now an estimated 53 million blogs on the web and an additional 150,000 new blogs being created every day or nearly 2 blogs per second. There are 1.6 million daily postings or 66,600 per hour and of that 39% are blogs in the English language. At its best, blogs and internet forums represent the ultimate in free speech – a global coffee house where ideas and views are debated and exchanged freely

But itÂ’s not all a bed of roses so it seems. Astonishing, and VicRock forum members might be alarmed to know, that in the past 2 years more than 50 lawsuits stemming from postings on blogs and website message boards have been filed in the USA. I do not have possession of the figure in Australia but some forum members might be able to help us here. The law suits obviously have wide ranging impact on web related postings and how libel laws apply in such situations. If in the past bloggers didnÂ’t think they could be sued for libel, they now need to think long and hard again. The problem is that on the internet, people take advantage of the anonymity to say things in public they would never say to anyone face to face. And even small disputes could lead to huge embarrassment with a possible world wide audience. Traditionally in libel cases, what the courts then have to decide is what damage the offending article did to that personÂ’s reputation in his or her community.

Back to Raven’s comment – I am no legal expert or a lawyer, but I understand that in the 2006 year the US Government took Google to court demanding it hand over all searches made in a particular week. It’s not so much the act by the US Government but rather the implications such action has on future privacy issues. A more specific example relating to bloggers - Lance Dutson of Media Bloggers Association was served with a law suit filed in the US District Court in Maine alleging copyright infringements and defamation. Seemingly, he was sued for having the audacity to criticise his State………and then, there is the case of the Kentucky State Government’s ban on blocking its employees access to a political blog whilst permitting the use of traditional news sites – clearly a move which contravenes the First Amendment of the US Constitution? Not too many examples I agree but a legal precedence may have been set.

B) B)

Don't know about anybody else....but...after all that... my brain hurts! Pheww!!
    I know I'm blonde.....BUT!!!
    Your intellect is utterly bamboozling J'bug!
    :dry: :unsure: B)
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain.

Despite us all rejoicing about being young and free John Howard's Anti Terrorist legislation provides for:

Short term detention without evidence and without a charge being laid. The detainee may be interrogated by ASIO and disclosing that an individual has been detained is a crime.

Almost unlimited restrictions on named individuals. Options also include requiring them to wear a tracking device and to submit to “re-education”. These "control orders" may be granted for a period of one year before review.

Restrictions on the right of any citizen to express certain opinions: including criticism, or "urging disaffection", of the sovereign, the constitution, the Government and the law. The onus of proof is on the defendant, over riding the Australian legal “presumption of innocence”.

It is a crime, punishable by life imprisonment, to "recklessly provide funds to a potential terrorist". "Funds" include money and also assets. It is not necessary that the culprit knows the receiver is a terrorist; only that they are reckless about the possibility. It is not even necessary that the receiver is a terrorist, only that the first person is reckless about the possibility that they might be.

Police can request any information from any source about a person and it can be an offence to disclose that such information has been obtained.

Police may shoot to kill people wanted under detention orders.

Now, I am not going to risk expressing "certain opinions" but I am going to re-read the fiction works of Kafka.

:unsure: :unsure:
    Rob Ewart
    Victorian Rock'n'Roll Dance Assoc

www.VRRDA.org.au

It's your Association, get involved. Good ideas are always welcome.
    Make sure your R'n'R club or dance school is getting best value.

Sorry people but I thought this was a Rock N Roll site....not a place for venting political overtones. Is this where Vicrock is being led by it's moderators???
    A Good Dance is worth the time it takes to get there.
    "Life may not be the party we hoped for... but while we are here we might as well dance!"
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Gee your silly Cliver, Can't talk RnR on here we get into arguments and stuff if we do that Sheeesh...
    So bring on the anti government cynicism, fly the Eureka flag and kill all the non believers, but don't talk RnR...
    Ps: one of them Moderators you speak about was in signals, that's a job description used by military spooks, shh, commie's under the bed mate.... :unsure:

Jitterbug wrote:
    Back to Raven’s comment – I am no legal expert or a lawyer, but I understand that in the 2006 year the US Government took Google to court demanding it hand over all searches made in a particular week. It’s not so much the act by the US Government but rather the implications such action has on future privacy issues. A more specific example relating to bloggers - Lance Dutson of Media Bloggers Association was served with a law suit filed in the US District Court in Maine alleging copyright infringements and defamation. Seemingly, he was sued for having the audacity to criticise his State………[/Quote]

Again, not an example of the government taking legal action. First, Dutson criticized the State' tourism office, not the State government. Second, Kremer Paino Advertising was the one who tried to silence him through the Federal courts. The agency sued Dutson for allegedly making false statements and posting on his website photos pulled from Maine's Department of Economic and Community Development website, which violates both copyright and libel laws, if true. The Agency subsequently withdrew the lawsuit on the heels of a withering media campaign orchestrated by the Media Bloggers Association. This was a great victory for the First Amendment and bloggers rights, which is why I said that I don't know of any way that the US government could try to silence bloggers by taking legal action. There is no such legal action, unless the crtitcism can be proved libelous.

and then, there is the case of the Kentucky State Government’s ban on blocking its employees access to a political blog whilst permitting the use of traditional news sites – clearly a move which contravenes the First Amendment of the US Constitution? Not too many examples I agree but a legal precedence may have been set.
    [/quote]

The Kentucky case is not a straightfoward case of infringement because the workers they can still read political blogs at home. Only the courts can decide that one.

raven

Hey, you guys. This stuffs to deep for me . How about we go back to having a go at each other.

OK icon this is over my head too. were do we start LOL

Thank you all for your input and in particular, RavenÂ’s. I think we can all agree that internet blogging and forums such as VicRock are innovative communication tools that contribute towards free speech and the sharing and promoting of ideas capable of reaching audience on a global basis. We should harness its potential to do good to individuals and in the community but at the same time be ready to defend it against abuses in any form. Hence the reference to forum rules and the proposed code of conduct.That is the primary purpose of my thread.

Whilst clearly it is important for us to understand the basic principles governing the effective operation of blogging and forums, nevertheless both Cliver and Frank have a point – we should all start talking more about R&R. But I am not so sure about what Icon is suggesting though.

The ballÂ’s now in your court, guys Â…Â…Â….

B) B)

Sense at last!!
    A Good Dance is worth the time it takes to get there.
    "Life may not be the party we hoped for... but while we are here we might as well dance!"
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

So you approved of the posting about the death of Kurt Vonnegut?

I don't remember anyone asking what this noted author had to do with R'n'R.

It is OK to think. It is OK to be concerned.

You are encouraged to post on this Forum.

The Forum is not just about R'n'R.

It is not obligatory to get involved in every thread.

But, you will not be permitted to post personal attacks and bitchiness. Abandon any idea that you can pick your old scabs on this Forum.

I will be happy to explain this further and in person.

This weekend I can probably be found at Little M's (wearing a cat tail for Fri 13th - Black Cat Theme Night), the 'Nash (or maybe Micawber) on Sat and the Middle on Sun.

:dry:
    Rob Ewart
    Victorian Rock'n'Roll Dance Assoc

www.VRRDA.org.au

It's your Association, get involved. Good ideas are always welcome.
    Make sure your R'n'R club or dance school is getting best value.