Top night out ..The...
Last post by GJR's
01-04-2024 01:08 AM
0 Replies

Closed Thread

Thread: RobE said

RobE said

He said:
    Lyndon, rather than take us off-thread, even though it will take us into one of my favorite discussions, please look back in the Forum (last year probably) to my earlier postings that demonstrated why Country is one of the many manifestations of Rock'n'Roll.

And I thought you did not care about the taxonomy of music genres.
    I said that comparing the two is like comparing Meat balls with Spaghetti, just because they go well together.

I say that there is no way that Country is a manifestation of Rock and Roll and the only thing that only you RobE, would find in common, would be the Taxonomy.

I look forward to the debate and winning it......
    :P

Re:RobE said

Lyndon, I'm with you on this. Anyone who knows a bit about music history knows Country came before Rock'n'Roll. Country, in all forms, originated from American folk and early music during the pioneer days.
    You can't handle the truth!

Lyndon,When Bill Munroe did BLUE MOON OF KENTUCKY.He wrote it as well.It was a Bluebrass song.When Elvis did the same song,they called it Rockabilly and rock,n,roll.Because Elvis did it.Some say Tamata ,some say Tomato,some say tomada....some say...gimme one of those red things.Does it realy matter mate...C,Ya ...Shane

shane wrote:
    Lyndon,When Bill Munroe did BLUE MOON OF KENTUCKY.He wrote it as well.It was a Bluebrass song.When Elvis did the same song,they called it Rockabilly and rock,n,roll.Because Elvis did it.Some say Tamata ,some say Tomato,some say tomada....some say...gimme one of those red things.Does it realy matter mate...C,Ya ...Shane
    Bluegrass has been around since the early 20th Century, long before R&R was ever dreamed of. And some American country songs date back to pioneer times. Rockabilly was invented one night in Memphis in 1954 when Elvis Presley, Scotty Moore and Bill Black were recording at Sun Records. Rockabilly was hybrid of blues and country that preceded and gave birth to rock and roll. That is the only connection between country and rock and roll that I know of.

Dunno about the inveted in 54 Raven.Charlie Feathers was putting out some good stuff too around that time.I reckon it,s all connected.In some ways you sought of can,t have one without the other.what do ya think raven?

shane wrote:
    Dunno about the inveted in 54 Raven.Charlie Feathers was putting out some good stuff too around that time.I reckon it,s all connected.In some ways you sought of can,t have one without the other.what do ya think raven?
    Oh yeah, which came first, the chicken or the egg? LOL It is certainly true that you probably wouldn't have rockabilly music without country but I don't know about rock and roll, which is allegedly based on Black rhythm and blues music. Perhaps one country music-rock and roll connection could be that in 1955, Bill Haley copied the first four bars of Hank Williams' 1947 hit Move It On Over in "Rock around the Clock", with a rocking groove.

I agree that the 1954 date is questionable because the whole scene back then was very murky indeed. Back in the late 40s Hank Williams was a major figure and influence of honky-tonk and his style can be found in the “billy” part of Rockabilly. Yet, despite its 1940s country-western-honky-tonk roots, the term "Rockabilly" was coined purely as a marketing ploy only post-Elvis, around 1956 in certain music publications.

Confused? Me too LOL

It's just one big pot of ingredients mixed together -if it's got a beat you can dance to it.

Jackie Brenstons 'Rocket 88' has been voted as the first ever Rock N Roll song (open to conjecture) but I bet a lot of todays dancers would call that Rockabilly. Me - I dont care as I agree with Stevo, its all one big mix, and if its got a beat I will try to dance to it...

By the way the chicken came before the egg..........

I would have thought the rooster would have had to come first.
    :P

You guys might not care so long as the music has a rhythm to dance to. Waltz music has a rhythm that you waltz to, tango music has a rhythm that you tango to.

Country music has a rhythm that you Rock'n'Roll to.

Bluegrass is associated with Country in a broad sense but Bluegrass is clearly its own complete genre.

Lyndon B Marvin, Cat or anyone else, please name me a Country song as played by a nominated artist of your choice that demonstrates your position that Country is not part of Rock.
    Rob Ewart
    Victorian Rock'n'Roll Dance Assoc

www.VRRDA.org.au

It's your Association, get involved. Good ideas are always welcome.
    Make sure your R'n'R club or dance school is getting best value.

Hi Shane,

If it doesnÂ’t matter, why have you made two posts on the subject?

I also wasnÂ’t referring to who came first, what came second, or who is on third. I merely stated that although all music has something in common and develops as a result of a particular artistÂ’s or cultureÂ’s influence, Country Music is not the same as Rock and Roll.

RobEÂ….I will be back with an example for you later, but in the mean time, letÂ’s not get hooked on the fact that a lot of major artists such as Elvis and Bill Haley recorded Country songs with a Country feel as well as Rock and Roll versionsÂ…Â…Because the point is, that they did and you could clearly distinguish the difference.

Oh, Shane, I am not knocking Country Music as my Country Music roots probably go back further than yours....I just want to make a point with RobE, who prefers to debate the matter on the forum rather than with me personally.......All music is there to be enjoyed, but it is also all different.

I'm sure boffins in universities are working on this problem at the moment as it is one of the most complicated problems facing us at the moment.

Hey, this is serious sh-t Steveo,

Further to what I said on the Fed Square thread, even the University boffins you refer too wouldnÂ’t be able to figure out how to bring the dog back to life, get the wife back and have her buy a new pickup all in the one Rock and Roll song mate.

And if they did, that definitely would be serious sh-t.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Lyndon Ya fool you don't need University graduates to work out that if you play the thing backwards, the wife comes back the dog comes home, and Guitarists would be turned to dust.. So from now on I'm playing them arse about :P

Oh and by the way i saw an article in Modern Drummer last week, regarding guitarists, It said that Guitarists as the least liked species in the jungle..True story. :laugh: :x :laugh: :x