I believe if you got several bands into Fed Square on the one day over say a four hour period - have a lot of advertising around promoting venues, rock n roll clubs, dance schools and the bands then this would help promote rock n roll and ensure its continuance in and around Melbourne. Frank said in another posting that a lot of bands and venues all pull big numbers and that Rock n Roll is probably the healthiest scene in southern Australia and I agree with him.
Allens original posting said to put on a show in Fed Square - I agree with him that it could work, you dont have to go booking out a whole heap of other places and trying to put on a "festival". You do not have to try and compete with other festivals already in place. Use Fed Square to promote the already strong Rock N Roll scene of Melbourne.
Ever been to a wedding, birthday party or simlar and no one dances until Rock N Roll is played and then everyone dances and I dont mean just those who can actually Rock N Roll. I say use this "magic" that the beat of Rock N Roll has to draw the scene to the attention of those who dont know about it.
Imagine Fed Square on a summer Friday night with Rock N Roll thumping out - tell me that wouldnt be good promotion.