Last post by Joseph Breitenfeld
29-02-2024 06:55 PM
0 Replies

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fed square

Allen Guest

Fed square

Just looking at the news, I see there was a Jazz festival in Melbourne @ Federation Square, we should do one with Rock N Roll, I reckon it would be a big hit.People just love to dance to all kinds of music, especially Rock n Roll. With all those bums on seats and all the r n r dancers we have, it would be a great succusses.I think I will make a call, to Mr So.

Re:Fed square

Allen I think you should leave the phone call to jitterbug. I believe he,s a relative and speaks the same language. Lets Rock.

Do you think John So can say "RocknRoll" B)
    Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans - J. W. Lennon

Consider the history of failures.

You can run a festival without contacting the Lord Mayor.

Here's an idea for you to consider....
    use the Arts Centre and in the various venues have a specific decade of rock music and big it all together for a major concert at the Sidney Myer Music Bowl. This means that you could have 50s in the Fairfax, 60s in the Playhouse, 70s in the State theatre, 80s in the Hamer hall and they could all happen simultaneously. Then on a Sunday afternoon bring them together at the bowl. This way you have a two day event

How deep are your pockets?

Good call Ian - you're reading my mind, it doesn't all have to be money out of our pockets, as the Arts Centre does do a fair bit of promoting too if it is a good business case and especially if local talent & community is involved. A day-long extravaganza at the Music Bowl with R&R, Rockabilly, cars/ rods/ dancing sounds good -an maybe an international feature act to end the day. Worth a look at me thinks.

The promotion of this sort by the arts centre is very very unlikely. Give Milos a call to check it out. 9281 8000

Ian -Clearly the Arts Centre wouldn't promote and bankroll the whole thing, but potential promotors(not me -I just had an idea) should contact The Arts Centre Programming Dept and see if the organisation are interested in being involved. Don't hassle poor old Milos directly - I'm dropping out of the thread now for ethical reasons and can't speak on behalf of The Arts Centre...lets hope the idea can keep circulating

Con & Thumper are right - Mayor So and I will definitely struggle pronouncing any word starting with "r" like "lock & loll" ......... but that didn't stop Melbourne winning the right to host the Commonwealth Games! Just maybe Mayor So & John Walker hold the key to connections in town? If I am wanting to start something big in Melbourne, I certainly wouldn't want to put them offside, so to speak.

On another issue - don't forget to call Austrade for some funding if any promoter is thinking big enough to promote beyond our shores - and I am not talking about Tasmania either.

B) B) B)

Allen Guest

Ian wrote:
    The promotion of this sort by the arts centre is very very unlikely. Give Milos a call to check it out. 9281 8000
    Thanks Ian, I rang that number, and put on to someone else, who in turn put me on to another person, I am not there yet, but keep trying.At this moment I am waiting for a call from Fed Squ. Will keep you posted, all. We have one thing in our favour, and that is we have the numbers.
    :laugh:

I am with Ian on this one, even if he does think that Shadoogie would ever need to replicate the Allstars.

The numbers are not there and Ian would probably be the person to know this, given that most of the events that he has conducted over the last 3 decades have attracted in excess of 1000 plus, people.

Even the Houndog weekend back a few years, despite the universal co operation, advertising, sponsorship and dedication of the 7 organizers, still lost in excess of $20,000.00 each. That's a loss of more than $140,000.00 mainly due to a lack of support, or it being too expensive for the average Rock and Roller.

Are any of the proposers of this thread prepared to risk even a fraction of that, or expect the taxpayers to subsidize it?

If there are, perhaps you need to get on board with Allen and go for it...............My advice though would be to make sure you put your money where your mouth is, because the level of sponsorship, commerce or government support you will attract will only be relative to what you are going to pledge yourselves.

Allen Guest

Well, the phone call came through, a lot said, even the amount of $16,000, for fed Square, Do not wish to work with little old me,(one man) they would look at it with an organisation behind us, and we would have to put a proposal to them, We would need The Victorian Rockabilly Association, and the Vic Rock site, and anyone else we could get. e.g. Radio station, The dance schools could go along and help,
    I do believe it can be done, it will be done, and it should be done, lets face it, whats better than Rock N Roll?
    We are talking about 1 day of Rock n Roll say Sat, 10am to 5 pm.
    Lets stop the Neg, and concentrate on the Pos. You know the saying If its broke, fix it,
    1000, people turned up, only. If they put Rn R in the city they would pack the place out, people love the music,we are not talking about a big production show here, we talking Speedsters, Shadoogie, Fender benders, and others,
    If it dies, it dies, but lets try.
    Lyndon, we are not talking about what people lost, the whole event would not be that much.It may be 2008 we get the first one out, or it could be 2015, but lets walk in the right direction. we are not looking at the State theatre, or Hipadrom. we talking about Fed Squ.
    :huh:

Allen,

I am not meaning to appear negative, but the old “lets do it” catch phrase doesn’t do it any more for me.

It is easy to come up with ideas and proposals and sound positive in the processÂ…Politicians are good at thatÂ…Â….They will be quick to say what should be done, or to shout out loud about what we all need, or would like, but never come up with any suggestions on how, or who will actually do it.

Like I said before, just lending verbal support to things doesnÂ’t get it done, nor does it cost anything.

Rather than looking upon my postings as being negative, look at them as a motivational call to get behind what you are promoting and financially support itÂ….then it will happen as you say.

I think this idea has alot of merit. What we need though is an organisation that represents the scene and in a unified manner.

We have alot of small groups doing their thing week in week out, holding dances, promoting venues etc and that in itself is awesome.
    Unfortunately we dont have an umbrella organisation that could walk into an office and put forward the idea on behalf of the whole scene.

But once again, I feel a bit sceptical about the powers that be who had out the grants. Having dealt with these people in my days at the ABC, if its not classical or jazz its hard for them not to be condescending. You should see the looks on their face when you mention... country music! hmy:

If we had a Rockabilly Cheese and Wine Festival that might work.. LOL

As for my comments re John So... Hey Jitterbug I was only having a light hearted dig. The Lord Mayor is a good public figure and my comment was more a rhetorical play on words based on Melbourne's cultural snobbery at times.
    Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans - J. W. Lennon

Good on you Allen. You have started the ball rolling on what could be the start of Melbournes very own wintersun. How hard could it be to find $16000 over say, the next year. I mean its done for the good friday appeal. Why not for the rockers. I nominate RobE with the VRRDA to spearhead and form a feasibility commitee . We could meet at his new unit .... Surely The Grants people would be impressed if we approached them under The VRRDA title And also told them we have a large following.

Allen Guest

If we had a Rockabilly Cheese and Wine Festival that might work.. LOL
    This is a good idea, next.

Surely The Grants people would be
    impressed if we approached them under The VRRDA title.
    Next.......

All above are good ideas, Lets contact Rob.....and do some talking.....mybe little more talking.....

:laugh: I have been at The Federation Square when they have had a few things going on, e.g. African music, and others and I can tell you Rock n Roll would walk all over the others, if not I will bear my backside in Bourke St.
    We can obtain sponsors on an event like this, it should not be to hard.

hmy:

Hey, Allen. Heres another thought . Why not try and work in with the jazz festival... All they have to do is extend it by one day and make it the Jazz./ Rock festival .... Easy.??

I get the feeling we had almost this same theme under another thread just recently.

My position remains that we should support the existing R'n'R festivals, such as the ones that Ray listed earlier - Geelong, Ararat, Barham, etc.

Whittlesea Country Music Festival, Victoria's Tamworth, is growing brilliantly. It is a buzz to dance to live bands in the main street as part of the free Saturday street party. You know I am steadfast in my claim that Country music is one aspect of Rock.

These festivals are there. You can do your bit by attending and by buying a drink and a snack, and maybe by staying in the town over night. How easy is that?
    Rob Ewart
    Victorian Rock'n'Roll Dance Assoc

www.VRRDA.org.au

It's your Association, get involved. Good ideas are always welcome.
    Make sure your R'n'R club or dance school is getting best value.

RobEÂ….I agree with your recommendation to support our various existing Festivals and as I have said before, if we do this, one of them is bound to sprint out of the pack and emerge as a major event.

But I do not agree with your claim that Country Music is an aspect of Rock.

It is a bit like saying that spaghetti is the same as meat balls even though they go well together.

I donÂ’t think Rock and Roll is about losing your wife, your dog and your pickup truck at all.

During my 40 or so years of playing guitar with almost half of them in Country Bands, I can assure you, Country ainÂ’t Rock and Roll.

Is so!

:lol:

Lyndon, rather than take us off-thread, eventhough it will takes us into one of my favourite discussions, please look back in the Forum (last year probably) to my earlier postings that demonstrated why Country is one of the many manifestations of Rock'n'Roll.

And I thought you did not care about the taxonomy of music genres.

:P
    Rob Ewart
    Victorian Rock'n'Roll Dance Assoc

www.VRRDA.org.au

It's your Association, get involved. Good ideas are always welcome.
    Make sure your R'n'R club or dance school is getting best value.

Allen Guest

Well, I suppose thats it.

:y32b4: