03-04-2024 06:30 PM
0 Replies
Top night out ..The...
Last post by GJR's
01-04-2024 01:08 AM
0 Replies

Closed Thread

Is This Fun Or What?

I have watched quite a few old “B grade” R&R movies such as “Rock Around the Clock” and “Don’t Knock the Rock” etc. I think you might notice that the dancers there do a few things differently from our dance gigs today. I am not talking about some of the blokes dancing in suits or some of their more stylistic dance moves. I am referring more specifically to their dance style that incorporated both 6 and 8 beats including the trade mark Lindy Hop’s “Swing Out” and “Circle”. Well, R&R dance was still developing then in the 1950’s (and still evolving today, I think) so naturally it incorporated some the earlier Lindy Hop’s signature dance moves.

The other thing you might notice is their tendency to occasionally break into a circle, clapping and cheering as one couple after another takes their turn to “show and shine” with a few spectacular dance moves. It just seems so much fun what they were doing together as a group, whilst at the same time allowing dance couples to “strut their stuff” in front of their adoring fans. By the way, I have seen a certain Melbourne Swing dance school does this regularly in their social dances.

I know fancy dance moves are prevalent in competitions but why is it or why can’t we also do those fun things in our R&R dance gigs? I love the Lindy’s “Swing Out” and “Circle” and those moves add style to R&R dancing, which is no different to the occasional 8 beat Charleston moves we frequently see in our dancing. By the way, I have seen our champion R&R dance couple, Jon & Alisha, doing these in their dance occasionally. Also “breaking into a circle and to strut your stuff in it” is so much fun!
    B) B) B)

Allen Guest

Re:Is This Fun Or What?

I know fancy dance moves are prevalent in competitions but why is it or why canÂ’t we also do those fun things in our R&R dance gigs? ( Said Jitterbug.)

You cant do those fancy moves @ Gigs, because it is a danger to others on the floor, Insurance costs would be going through the roof. Great to look at I do agree.
    :huh:

Most venues don't allow "lifts" and dance floors are too small and too packed to do much fancy stuff.
    You can't handle the truth!

Competent dancers can deliver a whole bunch of moves in a small area without being a danger to anyone else. (Mugs are a bloody nuisance no matter how space there is.)

And, you will see that the Bug is suggesting that the mob of dancers fall back to open the space so that only one couple performs at a time.

This was a feature of Sunday nights at Dandy Workers for some time. Doing a demo dance like this came to be known as a Zoot Suit because the DJ would play Zoot Suit Riot.

As a person who loves the more technical aspects of dancing I would like to see featured dancers but I am not sure how this could be accomplished.

Maybe we could kick off a renaisance in stylish dancing by having Jitterbug perform the "You Should Be Dancing" solo routine from Saturday Night Fever.
    Rob Ewart
    Victorian Rock'n'Roll Dance Assoc

www.VRRDA.org.au

It's your Association, get involved. Good ideas are always welcome.
    Make sure your R'n'R club or dance school is getting best value.

The pub and club venues are too small and alot of the punters are there for the music. try asking the larger dances, ie Little Marias, if they can drop off a couple of line dances so that you can do your circle