01-04-2024 01:08 AM
0 Replies

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Re:Melbourne Festival

Nup Jitterbug, with all due respect it's all been said before

Breaker Breaker big ole Frank buddy. Hook em up brother and roll on that big black train toot toot.

Dave

Yer good onya Thomas.. By the way tell the fat contoler I said hi hahahaaaaaa :laugh:

The trouble with Melbourne is that a festival like this would be very difficult to get off the ground because by and large, rocknroll, rockabilly and even country music is looked down upon by those who give out grants. Yet someone standing on a corner pretending to be a tree gets a cheque.

Melbourne and even Ballarat and Bendigo have become red wine drinking, skinny latte sipping, yuppie environments that eats small serves on large plates in places called Ristorantes... Hardly the setting for a rocknroll/roots festival. Jazzheads do well here as to classical ensembles. Melbourne, through its arty image also has become pretentious and has lost its image and Australias rock capital.

People move into the inner suburbs and bitch about the noise from pubs in their street. They want the city lights and serenity of Gembrook. Then you travel to Ballarat or Bendigo and thats starting to look like bloody Malvern with its cafes. You cant even get a decent countermeal at the Grand anymore.

Personally I'd say forget Melbourne. Coolangatta works because its a tourist town and if we were to have one on the Labour Day weekend, places like Echuca would kick arse.
    Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans - J. W. Lennon

Essex Guest

Tamworth is an example of a very successful Australian Festival that grew
    from small beginnings. It isn't by the coast and you would not expect it to
    attract a lot of attention. However it is well known overseas and attracts
    many visitors from other countries. I have spoken to people from Nashville
    (home of country music) and they have said Tamworth is their favourite
    festival.

Victoria has the Mildura Country Music Festival, which is really popular,
    but nothing like Tamworth.

So what do the successful festivals have in common?

* The big ones seem to be awards oriented. People love awards and it is a
    talking point, good for publicity etc. Good for sponsors too.

* Tamworth also has the 'longest Linedance comp', which makes good coverage
    and is often televised.

* Most importantly (I think) it also has the Country Music School, which
    brings in a heap of new talent. Mostly they write their own tunes and they
    tell a story with it. Many of them are young and it brings in new
    audiences. I am not an expert on the Rock and Roll scene really but my
    observation is that it is a bit 'old and stayed". Same old tunes, different
    singers. Not a lot to make it newsworthy.

* Wintersun and Tamworth both have a wide range of music styles. Blues,
    Country, Rockabilly, Swing and Rock n Roll. As well as rods and classic and
    custom cars, Wintersun also caters for the Bikey/biker set and tattoo
    enthusiasts. There is no doubt that Wintersun is a lot of fun and growing
    each year.

* It's also a fact that the tourism aspect is a draw card for Wintersun.
    You can do many things before and after Wintersun to make it a holiday. I
    went to Ararat last year and while I had a good time, there was not a lot to
    do if you weren't involved in the Rock n Roll and certainly not much
    afterwards.

I am just adding to the debate here, I would love a Victorian based large
    festival.

What is wrong with a committee? I am sure Tamworth and Wintersun have one.

There are a bunch of great Rock'n'Roll festivals taking place in touristy towns around Victoria. Any one of these could be the Vic version of "Wintersun".

What it needs is for people who love the R'n'R thing but have never been to any of these festivals or to Wintersun to extract the digit and get out there.

This includes me. I still have not made it to Wintersun or any of the Victorian festivals. No special reason. Just have not done it. Inertia I guess.

So here is a challenge - figure what would get Rob the Slob off his arse and into the country and you will have a winner.

Rob Ewart
    Victorian Rock'n'Roll Dance Assoc

www.VRRDA.org.au

It's your Association, get involved. Good ideas are always welcome.
    Make sure your R'n'R club or dance school is getting best value.

have been to a few of these local country events but they are mostly short and just dont have enough to do apart from the event. i agree with essex in that you need more to do. been to wintersun a couple of years ago and loved it. tamworth-not my thing.

Rob the slob... Sheilas mate SHEILAS.. lol
    Oh and essex I probably didnt explain my self when I said committees, I meant one made up of local r n roll people
    whithout guidance from a higher source, hows that? :unsure:

Bree, one would suggest that this was all your idea, and has been in the back of your mind for a couple of years now, tell us all what you want to achieve?. I also put it to you that you have been to Wintersun more than a couple of years dear...

You guys make me laugh sometimes....

Sunbury Rock Festival.......

There is your festival. All Ages, all styles, all AUSSIE

Dave

www.bobkats.info

frank dear, i dont understand what you are trying to say.

Allen Guest

Sunbury Rock Festival.

Yerrrrrrrrrrrr, What about the Sunbury Festival. Who started this thread, Trying to up set us all.

Bring back Sunbury!!

Sunbury Festival On This Weekend

OH bahaha...bahaha!

You can dance anywhere...Even if only in your heart!

IFUEVER ........You think Kempy's kidding???...I suggest you ring the Shire of Bulle...or is it Hume & check it out....this event is a regular attraction for Sunbury comunity each year
    A Good Dance is worth the time it takes to get there.
    "Life may not be the party we hoped for... but while we are here we might as well dance!"
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Over the last twenty five years there have been two major rock based music festivals fail in Melbourne.

There was the Melbourne Music Festival which was started by the Cain Government and later the Melbourne International Rock & Blues Festival started by the Bracks Government. Both festivals had very serious money contributed by the Victorian government.

The latter had the expertise of Michael Chugg and Glen Weatley to bring it together with acts such as Ray Charles and Bob Dylan. Both festivals failed.

There are people of influence who have a very strong interest in rock music. Some are members of parliament, philanthropists, senior bureaucrats, etc.

Given this history it would be very difficult, if not impossible, to get government support for a major music festival in Melbourne.

However, if anyone wishes to proceed the concept again with the government they need to put together an extremely well presented information package with a detailed budget and clearly set out benefits.

It is probably worth knowing that a group of interested people with considerable influence have been trying to get an Australia Rock-n-Roll Hall of Fame established.

Now ten years latter and with a very detailed business plan funded by the Bracks Government, the City of Melbourne and The Pratt Foundation is has proven the project is marginally viable and of no interest to commercial sponsors or investors

The Melbourne International Rock & Blues Festival I think was never going to work and seemed a bit of a token effort at having a festival in Melbourne by chucking a couple of big name acts in Jeff's shed. They should have promoted it as a concert series in another venue and not called it a festival. I think at that time that event had a fair bit of competition around Melb and Vic for punter's money from memory. It definately seems festivals work a bit better out of the CBD of a city and most successful festivals have grown from small beginnings to the point where they become established and then bigger name acts can be brought in as bums on seats are pretty much guaranteed.. support your local suburban and regional festivals.

I think the point being missed here, is that The City of Melbourne, surrounds, outer Regions and various country towns, is already a vibrant and ongoing Rock and Roll Festival.

Unlike the other States, Melbourne has an abundance of Rock and Roll happening every Friday, Saturday and Sunday and at next to nothing to gain entry. We also have far more Rock and Roll festivals and Rod runs than all the other states put together, which is absolutely fantastic.

What more do we want ?

You forget the Port Fary and Queenscliff festivals.
    Not just Melbourne, but Victoria already has stax of 'festivals' and 'weekenders'.

www.portfaryfolkfestival.com
    www.qmf.com.au
    You can't handle the truth!