0 Replies
Top night out ..The...
Last post by GJR's
01-04-2024 01:08 AM
0 Replies

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Melbourne Festival

Heres a thought..If QLD has Wintersun Why cant Melbourne promoters come together a and organize an annual Melbourne R/R festival....You Could Do it over the Labour day long weekend. How perfect would that be .. You have the long weekend with the streets blocked off. You have the Moomba parade you can follow with your dance schools and club floats . Even Rob could do his dance comps in the city. . It woud be great show case and boost for R/R... Just A thought..

Re:Melbourne Festival

HEY JITTERBUG. Sorry to have to wake you up!. You have got to be dreaming. I mean really dreaming. It's not even possible to have one classic major event (with all the attendant PR and public momentum) for a fantastic charity. You do not seriously believe that everyone will work together for a festival do you. I am sure you read the posts. You were trying to be funny. Ha Ha.

SORRY ICON, SORRY JITTERBUG. I meant ICON.

I expect icon means a big ticket festival run by a large scale production company who have experience in major event management, rather than enthusiast-run events for charitable causes..I think there's scope for a big rockabilly/ rock & roll/ roots festival, but promotors need to know there's enough ticket interest before signing up big name acts. Setzer & band would come to Oz, but promotors have shown no interest so far -these bands don't work for peanuts.

Allen Guest

Heres a thought..If QLD has Wintersun Why cant Melbourne promoters come together a and organize an annual Melbourne R/R festival....You Could Do it over the Labour day long weekend. How perfect would that be .. You have the long weekend with the streets blocked off. You have the Moomba parade you can follow with your dance schools and club floats . Even Rob could do his. (yes)
    //////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

You know Icon, I share, and I see your dream, Its a great idea, Never say never, just do it.
    The 50s.... You would need a sponsor, we could all add a few $..............................................

And I think I know the people that would be interested, maybe or maybe not.

If all get behind this it will be fantastic. :dry:

Allen . I know your kidding me. But imagine the payoff. If Wintersun has been running for twenty years, they must get the money from some where. Surely we could take a leaf out of their book and find the finance. How about approaching The Vic tourist board for any available grants . And what about sponsers.etc.etc. They say Moomba is dying out . So why not try and piggyback onto to this event . The costs would be halved. Its all there.I nominate Jitterbug to talk to the lord mayor of Melbourne.

Allen Guest

Allen . I know your kidding me. (said Icom)

I am not kidding.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Here's a thought and don't think I'm being silly or bias or any other codswollop that you can think of, but you guys need to speak to someone like Ian, why you ask?...
    Well he has the experience and sits on more charitable boards than you can poke a stick at including Peter Mac, ask Ian what it would take, and i can guarantee you will get the right answers..
    Just a thought

What about Rocky & Jo's Return to Rock, Melbourne Festival. I know it wasn't done by them alone. maybe it wasn't as big as Wintersun. Did they really get support from the general rock and roll community. I hear The Saturday night was successfull enough, but the Sunday was a let down. I don't think they have given up the idea of trying again. I can't speak for them, I think they just had too much on their plate for last year and some of their support was withdrawn. I'd like to see them have another go, with a lot more support from others serious about having a festival in Melbourne. Lou

Yes ,I remember that Lynelou. But I think Steveo hit it on the head . Big ticket , Large scale production .Carbon copy of Wintersun . Good advice Frank . Maybe Bracksy or the special events minister can hijack Wintersun for us like they got the grand prix off Adelaide. Just a thought.

Oh and by the way forget Wintersun it's already been done...
    Think Melbourne, think Melbourne blues festival, think St kilda festival, think Williamstown, think Pt Melb, think Melb Jazz festival ...Think Original !!

Allen Guest

Frank wrote:
    Here's a thought and don't think I'm being silly or bias or any other codswollop that you can think of, but you guys need to speak to someone like Ian, why you ask?...
    Well he has the experience and sits on more charitable boards than you can poke a stick at including Peter Mac, ask Ian what it would take, and i can guarantee you will get the right answers..
    Just a thought

you will get the right answers..
    Just a thought

Contact them. Lets do it. :huh:

Frank. Why re.invent the wheel ?. Better to follow a proven formula that has stood the test of time. Sure, Change the venue (if need be) to A beach side location where council will work in with you .But to change the wintersun recipe would invite another Rocky and Joe type non support event. ..Just a thought ...Anyway, Ive run out of them. Im going to watch Wid hogs .

I think every one is forgetting how and why Wintersun first started.

It grew over the last 20 years into what it is today from nothing more than a picnic.

We already have some Festivals happening such as JohnÂ’s Hotrod Picnic at Pakenham, or the Geelong Festival and each year they get bigger and better.

These are the types of events that have the potential to grow into a Victorian Tourist Attraction and can if we support them, who knows where they will end up.

LetÂ’s also remember that Wintersun is in Coolangatta, not Brisbane and itÂ’s original conception expanded to attract tourists to the region in an otherwise quiet period.

So how about some constructive discussion about how to get behind one, or more of our existing annual events and see where it takes us?

Lyndon think outside the box mate, honestly, and why do a wintersun??, Con I'm not trying to re-invent the wheel,
    originality is what stands out !! and the way this is going ,i can feel a committee coming on, seems to me that you are not willing to venture out of your little minds.
    Have a look at whats going on outside r'n'roll and you will have your answers, call me what you like but I've been in business long enough to know what makes one unique and noticed.....Out

Allen Guest

You have the long weekend with the streets blocked off. You have the Moomba parade you can follow with your dance schools and club floats . Even Rob could do his dance comps in the city. . It would be great show case and boost for R/R... Just A thought.. (Said. icon.)

I was thinking on the lines of the above, A Float all about R.R. Then we could move on to the Geelong and Pakenham gigs later, re the promoting of them.

Can I just ad.....this is Melbourne we are talking about.

Believe it or not, our last weekend to Lakes Entrance was fantastic, 136 people had a ball dancing and enjoying what we did. Sorry must stick to the issue. I mentioned to the female partner of the big catamaran Thunderbird, that Lakes Entrance was great and would be a great area for a rock and roll festival. She agreed and went on to tell me of a couple of larger facilities that Lakes Entrance have like the secondary college stadium (basketball ?) and somewhere else. She suggested I contact the local Rotary or council. I have left it as is. I don't have the time or funds to do it alone and wonder if I would get the support if I where to continue along these lines. Lakes Entrance is a picturesque place a lot to see and do. a fair ammount of motels for accommodation. Who would want to come on board and help. Lou

Icon - might be just a thought like you said, but I am quite excited by the idea. Might turn out a fizzle but without ideas and visions where would humankind be today? I don't have the answers nor the knowledge and experience in getting this off the ground but I am sure it is worth a try. Perhaps not an overnight success but over time who knows.

Icon jokingly mentioned about talking to the Lord Mayor - not a silly idea, I think. You need more than the R&R community to make it a success whether it means including Council support, Government grants, commercial sponsorship, media exposure etc

Melbourne has the International Jazz Festival, and has just concluded the Melbourne Swing Festival. I like to dream that one day we too can have a Melbourne International R&R Festival ..... or perhaps a composite Melbourne International Blues, R&R & Rockabilly Festival?

B) B) B)

OK I surrender.... obviously this forum is stuck in rut and cannot seem to move from point A to point B, not one of you is willing to explore new ideas, the way this post is looking is, (get this) my ideas better than yours.
    We can't support one another let alone run a festival
    Who really does have the time the money and the resources to do what your asking?
    but I will agree with one thing .. This is Melbourne and yes we do it better when we try, we deserve to be different and we have the biggest following of R'N'Roll in Aus, its a shame we can't lead the way..
    That's the last word on that subject, from lil ol me...

Hey Frank - don't leave us just yet. We need you back! You have given us an inkling of what you are trying to say. Care to elaborate further for our benefit?

Just one more thing I like to add to my previous post. I am thinking that passion for R&R would be great but perhaps we need more than that to make it succeed. We need an entrepreneur or at least an enterprising person or group of persons dedicating themselves full time to make it work. And be prepared to take financial and personal risks. The drive for $$ and profits is a good motivator and barometer for success. Most big events today are managed by professional event promoters and organisers and supported by teams of PR publicists and market researchers etc. Question - is there a big enough market out there to support Wintersun and the "Melbourne R&R festival"? Fair question? I certainly hope so myself.

B) B) B)