0 Replies
The Uptown Catz @ DJ...
Last post by Joseph Breitenfeld
29-02-2024 06:55 PM
0 Replies

Closed Thread

Thread: Lucky Melbourne

Lucky Melbourne

We rockers are lucky indeed in Melbourne! Just reinforces the sentiments been expressed many times before on Vicrock that Melbourne rockers are a privileged lot, and just maybe a bit spoilt, with the fabulous R&R scene here – the numerous venues and gigs every weekend, and with top class R&R, Blues, Country Rock and Rockabilly bands. And that’s not even mentioning the swingy outfits that normally play in the city gigs.

Having just spent a couple of weeks in another city, I came away feeling great to be living in a very vibrant city like Melbourne where R&R is very much alive and kicking. We need to continue supporting our great live music scene here. As a local rocker said to me when I was there, it seems R&R used to be big over there but somehow along the way, clubs, pubs and hotels stopped supporting R&R. I am sure there were various reasons contributing towards its demise but nevertheless itÂ’s still a big loss for R&R.

Checking that City’s Gig Guides in the 2 weeks I was there, it was obvious there was little or no R&R and Rockabilly bands advertised there. Lots of “young people” Rock bands, DJ’s, Duos, Jazz and a sprinkling of Blues bands. Don’t get me wrong, I am sure those bands and musicians have good following and provide very good entertainment. But I was looking for a transplanting of the “Melbourne scene” over there. And for that I was quite disappointed. And Yes, I did check out a couple of the “young people” rock bands that played in the hotel I was staying. There were good in what they do. I also danced to a couple of blues bands and a duo …….. don’t know whether I should admit to this but what the hell …… they were playing in the city’s premier “pick up” joint. Only realized that after I noticed the patrons seem more interested in one another than the music on offer …….. However, my biggest disappointment was dancing to non live music in that city’s premier R&R Club night. It seems they only have live music once a month! Thank God, my pride was partially restored when I was able to see and dance to one local R&R band, Jump & Jive, at their local British Working Men’s Club.

So let’s support the Melbourne R&R scene. It’s our pride and joy - very precious and very vibrant but we could also just as well lose it if we become complacent? Thank God I live in Melbourne – arguably, the R&R and Rockabilly capital of Australia!

B) B) B)

Re:Lucky Melbourne

good post jitters we are lucky here in melbourne. so many placesand so many bands. being from sydney myself i know why i choose to live here. still searching for zeek but what the hell, icon will do :blink: and there is not a site like this anywhere we are bloody lucky on all fronts.

Amen Jitterbug... We've played to around 400 people in Mathoura and this weekend in Lockington and on both ocassions we were told that they dont get very much at all in terms of live entertainment let alone bands from Melbourne. They have to travel to either Bendigo, Echuca or Deniliquin to do that.

So when I hear the sniping and the politics, it prompts me to challenge the protagonists to drive three hours north and see just how spoilt we are in Melbourne.

Thumper
    Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans - J. W. Lennon

Breeeeee. Its Your old mate Icon. where you been? You missed out on some real good music at the Gully sunday arvo. The Atomics were awsome. Again it was sardine city with dancers spilling out into the street. Jitterbug told me it was a two shirt event...He had to change his sweaty shirt twice . Zeek says hi and will catch you over easter at the usual motel. Jeeze Off Topic again ... Lucky Melbourne

ICON :blink: :blink: i have missed you. tell me where you are going next and i will be there,promise. that motel is a busy place.you wont believe who i saw there last time! but we love this city and the people in it. such great music,just to keep up on topic. do you have my number? call me, dont be afraid you can call me, maybe its late but just call me. call me and Ill be around

Agree Jitterbug.

Rose and I have just spent a week in Byron Bay, where there were numerous venues open each night with bands and DJ's playing heavy funk music. For the most part the music was not very danceable, which for me is saying something as I will usually find a dance rhythm in most music.

Noted that The Detonators had been at the Byron Bay Beach Hotel a few weeks before our visit, and that there was a 'rock and roll' night at nearby Mullumbimby the previous week.

We are lucky to have so many great bands, DJ's and venues available to us each week in Melbourne.
    Dance like nobody's watching. Love like you've never been hurt