0 Replies
The Uptown Catz @ DJ...
Last post by Joseph Breitenfeld
29-02-2024 06:55 PM
0 Replies

Random Member Photos

Closed Thread

Redlands Rockabilly Revival 2016

The weather forecast in Brisbane for last Sunday was gloomy all week with heavy rain predicted and even possible thunderstorms. As I drove to the venue which was located to the south of Brisbane, it was showers all the way. It stayed that way till just before I arrived and then the rain stopped and didn't return the whole day. It turned out to be a good day to attend the hotrods and rockabilly festival after all but it was a warm and humid day in the suburb of Cleveland where Redlands Rockabilly Revival was held at the showground.

It really was a great day for 1950's rockabilly music & culture lovers. I believe the Redlands City Council was the major sponsor for this event and should be commended for the initiative in supporting public events showcasing hotrods & classic cars display, rockabilly music and dancing. Lori Lee was the promoter and as most people in the rockabilly world would know she is like rockabilly royalty in Queensland and also the promoter of Greazefest Brisbane and more recently, Greazefest Melbourne.

There was a good crowd in attendance and the concert arena was packed out all day with 5 bands playing continuously throughout the day which was headlined by the American band from Texas, the Bellfuries who were mesmerising in their performance and I am so glad I got to see them play live. The band also toured Melbourne and Perth before coming up to Brisbane. Local Australian Rockabilly favourite, Rusty Pinto's Shotdown From Sugartown, were also there along with three local Brisbane bands including Twang which toured Melbourne late last year. Twang has always been a local favourite and is slowly picking up a band of loyal followers from Melbourne as well. A local Brisbane band which I haven't seen before was Lovejoy Surf playing "Surf & Shadows" tunes which were just perfect for dancing. The ERT Trio is another rockabilly band I haven't seen before but I do like their youth, energy and vibe they gave on stage. There was also a Miss Pin Up competition on the day which traditionally drew a large crowd cheering on their favourite Pin Up girl.

Talking to Lori Lee afterwards, it seems there is every chance that the event will continue to be staged next year and hopefully for many more years to come. The bands & music were great, the dancers came and I am sure more classic cars and hotrods will be on display in future years were it not for the inclement weather forecasted last weekend. Keep rockin' City of Redlands!

Last edited by Jitterbug; 15-03-2016 at 08:04 AM. Reason: add videos