01-03-2024 01:32 PM
0 Replies
The Uptown Catz @ DJ...
Last post by Joseph Breitenfeld
29-02-2024 06:55 PM
0 Replies

Closed Thread

RIP Little Maria

It is with great sadness that I write to inform you Little Maria has passed away today surrounded by her beloved family. As many of you might know, Little Maria has been fighting an illness in the last several months but she has kept up her spirit despite the pain she must have endured. She was visited and comforted by many of her close friends in the last several weeks and I was one of those who had the privilege of doing so. She even cooked me pancakes for supper when she should be resting. How could I not love her so much.

Little Maria might be little in height but she was a giant in our rock 'n' roll scene. She was recently inducted into the Victorian Rock & Roll Dance Association Hall of Fame. She was a very well known personality in Melbourne, country Victoria and interstate especially in Queensland where she was a regular visitor to Wintersun Rock & Roll Festival for many years. She was well loved by everyone in our 1950's style rock 'n' roll scene.

No one who has ever attended one of her "Little Maria" dances would forget or fail to notice the extra touch and effort she put into her dances. The decorations in the hall, the table settings, the many, fun themes night and her very colourful and flamboyant costumes. The opportunities she had given many rock & roll bands to play at her dances. And Little Maria always without fail greeted each and everyone by name and with a big, happy smile and cuddle. She was the dance host extraordinaire. Through her dances, many romances and relationships have blossomed and flourished and even resulted in a few marriages. And many, including myself, learned to dance rock & roll socially at her dances as a beginner which Little Maria welcomed everyone as one big, happy dance family irrespective of your dance ability & style, colour, age or even religion. All her dances which ran for 13 years were filled with fun, laughter, music and lots of dancing.

We salute you, Little Maria, for your huge & enduring contribution to our 1950's style rock & roll live music and dance scene. You have departed from us now but will never be forgotten. Those happy memories from your dances shall be with us forever. The thousands of photos and videos you have personally taken at your dances shall remain a living recorded history of your dances and the fun times that we all had. Thank you very much Little Maria.

The Lord be with you. Rest In Peace, Little Maria.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	11036910_10203415294461755_5364004138071715384_o.jpg‎
Views:	706
Size:	133.7 KB
ID:	10652   Click image for larger version

Name:	557708_10200460696038641_1512195852_n.jpg‎
Views:	654
Size:	127.6 KB
ID:	10653   Click image for larger version

Name:	10582795_10201772550514183_2418978355226862142_o.jpg‎
Views:	650
Size:	142.0 KB
ID:	10654  

Re: RIP Little Maria

My sincerest condolences to the family. May you find strength in each other to get through these trying times. May you rest in eternal peace Dear Little Maria.

Little Maria will be terribly missed by everyone in the Rock & Roll scene. She may have been small in stature but she had a heart the size of Texas and a smile to match. We always had a ball doing Little Maria "themed" gigs (Halloween, Grand Finals, Valentines Day, Polka Dots, Gone With The Wind and Schoolies just to name a few). She was so damned enthusiastic .... and it was contagious. No one will ever wear a kooky wig or Minnie Mouse outfit as well as she did! She was funny, eccentric and definitely unique ... and that's why we loved her. We'll always cherish the wonderful memories she has left us with. Our thoughts and prayers are with her family during this difficult time. Sincere condolences, Honey B & The Stingers xx

I was very sad this morning reading about Little Maria's death. What a wonderful inspirational lady she was, 1 of a kind. I am glad that I went to her last dance. I loved dancing and chatting with her. She always made you welcome and remembered your name. She will be rocking in heaven with my Mike.RIP darling lady. Love Jill and Terry and Wendy from Peninsula Rock.

In true form Paul the one that knows all in our dance scene, a very fitting tribute to a girl who was in all our hearts and minds RIP Little Maria your inspiring love of the R&R dance scene will live forever.
    Aspire to inspire - - - before you Expire !

Those who bloom in the hearts of others never fade away...rest in peace Maria.
    ~ Mel ~

Beautifully said tribute Jitterbug. Little Maria will be missed by many, but her memory will continue to bring a smile to everyone's faces when they remember those wigs, outrageous outfits and dances she ran for 13 years. I'm sure she's in heaven, wearing a bright pink wig and making everyone get up and dance. Gone but never forgotten.

Lovely tribute Jitterbug. Though to me Little Marias' dances were on the "other side of town" the few times I did get there they were indeed special nights. My friends and I that travelled over there always appreciated the warm welcome. She will be greatly missed by many. R.I.P

May all the Minnie mouse's out there in this world, say a pray for the best of them all, It has made me feel sad to say goodbye and rest in peace to a little lady and a little angel who graced the rock and roll scene in Australia, Her smile will be truly missed around the scene, I have so many fond memories of that little mouse, I have numerous photos of Maria dressed as many people RIP YOU Little Minnie Mouse of Rock and Roll