01-03-2024 01:32 PM
0 Replies
The Uptown Catz @ DJ...
Last post by Joseph Breitenfeld
29-02-2024 06:55 PM
0 Replies

Closed Thread

The Fender Benders at Flipside Rock & Roll

I first saw James (lead guitar and vocal) when he was then playing for one of Melbourne's most vibrant and popular bands, Crash & the Fender Benders. James has since "re-badged" the band into the Fender Benders and taken on Terry on bass (ex Shadoogie) and also Peter Moore on drums replacing Fred who played with the band for many years.

Surely, the band is now Melbourne's hardest working band playing up to 4 gigs a week. Some arguably would say it is also Melbourne's most popular rock & roll band judging by the comments I have heard from so many who regularly follow the band to various venues. Irrespective of the many opinions about one's favourite band, for me, the band seems a little "different" from the others in that it projects good sound and high level of energy on stage. Add to that, one could also sense even a degree of "edginess" in vocal and tunes selections which to me adds excitement and delight when attending the band's gigs. I enjoy listening to the band and you can certainly dance to all its music which cover tunes from rock & roll, rockabilly and country rock and including some self-penned originals.

I attended the band's gig at Flipside Rock & Roll last Friday, and you can read Joceb's report in the forum which accurately sums up the band's performance and atmosphere at the Hungarian Community Centre that night. Flipside Rock & Roll is slowly but surely becoming one of Melbourne's very popular rockin' dance venues. It's Christmas dance is on 12th December to be held in the main room at the Hungarian Community Centre in Wantirna. Jonathan & Zoe's "8 Week Wonder" dance troupe will be giving a dance demo that night along with dancing to all your favourite dance clips on Milton's big screen. A night not to be missed so be quick to book your table(s).

Last edited by Jitterbug; 26-11-2014 at 04:55 PM. Reason: add video

Re: The Fender Benders at Flipside Rock & Roll

Thanks to Paul & Jocelyn two great Flipside supporters, for the nice write up.
    All the bands have been excellent to work with and to our loyal band of dancers that have attended the dance I thank you.
    Without the support of James, Cliff, Shane,Linda Smyth, Lynne & Lou,Jon & Zoe, Pete & Jeanette,Courtney & Pete, the dance would not happen.
    A very special thanks to Vicki & Trev. for their fantastic loyalty & assistance and to Sharyn, Wendy, Lorin & Dan who have supported Sue on the door and to John the caretaker at the Hungarian Club for his co operation and friendship,
    and last but not least a huge man hug Big Al & Brett for their longtime friendship and belief in Flipside.
    If I have omitted anyone I apologise, look forward to seeing you on Friday 28th November when the ever popular "Speedsters" is the feature band.

Great review Jitterbug, and so very true. The Fender Benders are the hardest working band around for a very good reason. Your reviews of bands and dances are always well worth reading so keep them coming. I think you should also put them in the Rock n Roll News for all those who don't get online so they can too can read about the bands and venues.

Thanks also to Milton and Sue who took on the huge challenge of running a regular rock and roll dance after the closure of Little Maria's. It was a big job to take on for a couple who had never run a dance before, and what a great job they have done. They have put on a well run dance with great bands and brilliant video clips, and have provided all the dancers with a new regular Friday night dance. A lot of hard work goes on behind the scenes before the dance and on the day, as well as the financial risk involved, so on behalf of the rock and roll community, thank you very much for providing all the rockers with a great regular dance.

Great reviews Joeceb Miton & Jitts we had the Fenders B up our way last two nights 12th & 13th Dec, Every time we front up to these guys it's a whole new learning curve, all their new music and the new more up beat stuff is wild, we love it, it's probably why they are so popular and seem to have more gigs per year, I figure they would be difficult to hire on just any old weekend in 2015, because they'd already be booked, learn't last night that they are traveling to Canberra for a gig, now that will be an eyeopener and more than likely a door opener for them, some of the other bands should take a leaf from their book and get into some new music with a good sprinkling of originals, running the same old tracks every gig gets pretty boring, and when you dance those boring tracks it's the same old same old, with the fenders it's mostly all new and the structure of your dance is new to suit this new music it's an exciting experience to develop a different structure to your R&R or rockabilly to suit some new rearranged songs or brand new originals, it's always great to turn up to these guys, because the mystery you are about to see and hear is always fantastic, they do it all for you! and you'll never know what you're going to get!
    Aspire to inspire - - - before you Expire !

You will have to make the trip to Melbourne to see the Fender Benders perform at our First Birthday Dance on Friday Jan. 16th. In addition Flipside will be showing on the giant video screen a tribute to Elvis Presley to celebrate 80th anniversary of his birth.
    Or you can join us on Facebook "Flipside Rock and Roll Dance"