0 Replies
Top night out ..The...
Last post by GJR's
01-04-2024 01:08 AM
0 Replies

Closed Thread

Visiting Melbourne: Seeking Dance Opportunity

Hi all

My wife and I are visiting Melbourne and would like to get a chance to dance to a 50's/60's band while there. I wonder if anyone could tell us of any venues, dates and times.

The nights we have free are 4th - 7th September. We're staying near the intersection of William and Latrobe Streets. It would be great if there's something relatively close. Lastly, we'd prefer it's not a pub scene but somewhere where circle dresses, etc won't look out of place.

Thanks for any help you can give,
    Mark.

Re: Visiting Melbourne: Seeking Dance Opportunity

Suggest you keep an eye out on gigs advertised here on Vicrock - both on the front page as well as in the Gig Guide. I think the most likely venues for you could be Coburg Bowling Club, Furlan Club in Northcote and maybe the Alleycatz dance in Sunshine. All these venues are not too far away from the city but will require a taxi ride. Don't think there's a dance you can go to in the city since you are not keen on the "pub" scene. Good luck!

Thankyou. Having said no "pub" scenes. Some are OK but I've heard of some that deteriorate as the evening wears on. If there's a genuine 50's/60's band playing in that setting, we may always have a look in and see how it goes.

Lots of pubs in the city with live music but more likely playing blues, rock etc. Try the Gasolina at South Wharf or the Transport Bar in the city on a Saturday night. Might be lucky to get a band on the night playing some danceable music but I wouldn't suggest wearing R&R petticoat dresses there. Your best bet is to go to one of those venues I suggested earlier but do ring in advance to confirm gigs on etc

Hi Mark

Your best bet for a dance on Fri 5th Sept would be at Adrian's dance at West Coburg Bowls Club, Linley St West Coburg. Not sure who the band is that will be playing until the Sept rock and roll news comes out. Live band and DJ from 8 - 12 playing 50's & 60's music, lots of petticoats and plenty of dance floor space, entry $15. You could catch a train from the city to Coburg train station and then a taxi to the venue and if you ask around I'm sure someone would give you a lift back to the station. Bookings or details 0402402913.

Most of the rock and roll dances in Melbourne are out in the suburbs where there are bigger venues. Have a look at the gig guide on this site for more choices.

Swing Patrol has swing dance classes and social dancing at the Exford Hotel in the city. Check out their web site for dates and times.

Enjoy your visit.

Great. Thanks for the help. I'll have a chat to my wife when she gets in and see what we can do.