01-03-2024 01:32 PM
0 Replies
The Uptown Catz @ DJ...
Last post by Joseph Breitenfeld
29-02-2024 06:55 PM
0 Replies

Closed Thread

VRRDA's 2014 Rock & Roll Dance Championships

Victoria's premier dance event of the year for 2014 was hosted by the VRRDA last month at the Furlan Club in Northcote for the first time. The event was held in Epping for a number of years and I still have fond memories of the dance competitions there. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to attend this year as I was away that weekend but it was another great night of dancing and competitions from all the reports I have heard. So well done to the VRRDA, dance judges, competitors and the many rockers who have supported it for years. And of course, to Itchy Fingers and their vibrant brand of R&R music for social dancing and in the premier dance events.

From the videos I have seen, the level of competitions was quite high with many more competitors in the premier events - the Victorian Adult State Title and the Senior State Title. Unfortunately, I understand that again there was no events for Juniors which was rather disappointing. This is one area that needs to be looked in terms of encouraging Juniors to take up R&R dancing and taking part in competitions. Doesn't need repeating that Juniors are our future for R&R dancing.

Congratulations to Zoe and Jonathan in defending the Adult State Title, and also to Rhonda and Grant in the Senior State Title. Well done also to Courtney and Peter in coming second in the Adult State Title as first timer competitors in the event.

Keep up the good work, VRRDA. Long live R&R dancing in Melbourne and in Australia! Below are a couple of videos loaded by Tom & Irene Amos who are also judges in the dance competitions.

Re: VRRDA's 2014 Rock & Roll Dance Championships

Good on you Jitt's, thought it was about time somebody put a little note in about our beloved dance, I actually attended this comp, but didn't feel compelled to do a review, first time I've been to the Furlan Club, this venue didn't excite me at all, the atmosphere I rated as nil and as for our dance associates, they are becoming more rude as time goes by. I definitely didn't have a good time. I did toss up between 2 dances that night, although I went for the comp option as I had free tickets, silly me!
    Itchy was good, although I suppose the scene was set for them to play R&R, it was a R&R comp after all, I must say that in my experience when they play rockabilly they do look a lot more relaxed and happy.
    I've put a couple of clips to add to yours Jitts, the one with the two guys is Johnny Phung and John saroff both from Albury, Johnny was the Vic R&R champion in 1993 Johnny actually went on to teach Arron Keenan a 3 time Vic state R&R title winner from 1994-96 and now is leader of a band called No Brakes. I could dribble on for Hrs but this is enough here's the vids.

Aspire to inspire - - - before you Expire !