I missed the opening night of this new live rock & roll music and dance venue at the Ferntree Gully Bowling Club last month. Talking to various rockers and seeing their comments and pictures on Facebook, it appears this new venue is quite popular and is as good as, if not better than, the Sunday evening dance at Mitcham RSL which has since closed. Punters even seem to have accepted the $5 entry fee which is still very cheap for a good night of entertainment and dancing.

It was a long drive for me from the Mornington Peninsula but it was very much worth the effort. The new venue which is just off Burwood Highway, is just a stone throw from the "Gully" Church of Rock which sadly also closed late last year. It was a full house last night with the Rockin' Daddys with special guest, Kevin, from the Dirty Boogie Band providing vocal support and playing his harmonica. The venue has a big room with sitting tables and chairs for patrons. It has a fairly good size dance floor, a bistro and bar plus you can drop a few spare coins into the pokies machines too. Parking is no trouble so, all in all, potentially a great venue to hold a regular live music and dance gig.

I am not sure whether it was intentional or whether it depends on the band playing on the night but there was no music for line up dancing at the venue last night. But then most Sunday night gigs do not have line up dancing except at the RSLs where music is usually provided by DJs. Lots of dancers do enjoy line up dancing especially amongst those without a partner, so maybe this is one area that can be looked at as a future improvement or an addition to Sunday dancing at the Bowling club.

Several bowling clubs presently seem to have taken over the baton from pubs and hotels in staging live music and dance events. This is a very welcome and helps keep 1950's style rock 'n' roll alive in Melbourne. I understand the Jollys are the promoters for this new venue or at least have a big hand in its opening so well done to the Jollys for their commitment and contribution to 1950's style rock 'n' roll. Keep live music and keep dancing - it's so much fun!