01-03-2024 01:32 PM
0 Replies
The Uptown Catz @ DJ...
Last post by Joseph Breitenfeld
29-02-2024 06:55 PM
0 Replies

Closed Thread

Lt Maria's Final Rock & Roll Dance at the Whitehorse Club

Hard to believe but it has been over thirteen years since Lt Maria first hosted her rock 'n' roll dance at the Whitehorse Club in Burwood. I can still vividly remember my very nervous and first time venturing into the Whitehorse Club on a Friday night after having completed a few rock & roll dance lessons. That was back in 2002 year. As a newbie to the 1950's style rock & roll dancing and obviously without the confidence to dance in public for the first time, I stood outside the venue peering through the glass window. To be my absolute shock & horror, I was completely overawed by the fantastic dancing I was seeing, and feeling like I was a total misfit in the wrong league to even consider trying to dance amongst those fantastic rock & roll dancers. Was I truly glad to be rescued by some of my fellow dance class students who just dragged me inside the hall and as the saying goes - the rest is history!

Coming back to last night, the dance was booked out for a few weeks back and the hall packed with close to 600 dancers. It must have been one of the biggest gathering of rock & roll dancers anywhere in Melbourne (or even Australia) for a very long time. Understandably, the hall was over laden with a tinge of sadness but not surprisingly, all have also come to party for the final time with Lt Maria at the Whitehorse Club. Who knows what other ventures Lt Maria may have in store for us in the future but for now, it's the end of an era for live bands and rock & roll dancing there. For me though, I rather see it as another finished chapter in the annals of 1950's style rock 'n' roll music and dancing in Melbourne. More than just wonderful memories, it's never the end for our beloved music and dance scene in Melbourne. As surely as the sun will rise each new day, I'm sure there will be many more venues coming our way in the months and years ahead as long as we all play our part in supporting the scene.

Lt Maria has three great bands for the night - Black Hill Ramblers, the Fenders Benders and Jump & Jive and supported by DJ Anthony were on hand to provide the sort of music we love to hear and dance to. Yes - the dance floor was very crowded all night long but no one was going to stop the rockers having a night of partying and celebration for Lt Maria's great achievement in promoting and supporting 1950's style rock & roll music and dancing. She truly deserves to have been inducted into VRRDA's Rock & Roll Hall of Fame.

Finally, thank you to Lt Maria, the Whitehorse Club, all the great 1950's style rock 'n' roll bands, the many DJs and of course all you rockers who have supported the dance all these years. Lots of wonderful memories, many friendships formed and even rock 'n' roll marriages sealed through dancing there. Will never forget all the dance demos and performances, the line up dancing - progressive cha cha, rock & roll waltz etc and who can forget the fierce debate over the introduction of "Red Hot Salsa" as a line up dance back a few years ago. Life was very interesting with Lt Maria's dances to say the least .....

Last edited by Jitterbug; 02-01-2014 at 09:03 AM.

Thumbs up Re: Lt Maria's Final Rock & Roll Dance at the Whitehorse Club

hello

I attend your dance a little while back as my uncle was playing and loved it is it true that this NYE dance is sold out is there no hope of getting a little a=table in there for 6 people ??? Pretty please

Cheers

Elisa

Re: Lt Maria's Final Rock & Roll Dance at the Whitehorse Club

Hey Elisa - I don't believe Lt Maria is doing a NYE's dance this year. However, there are several other NYE's events advertised and listed on this website. I 'm sure you 'll be able to get tickets by contacting those organisers direct.

Re: Lt Maria's Final Rock & Roll Dance at the Whitehorse Club

Great write up as usual Jitterbug. So sorry I missed the final dance and so sad to see the end of the venue after spending 9 years there at Maria's dances and about 6 years of Adrian's classes on a wed night as well, it had become part of my dancing life. But one door closes and another door opens, and we now have a brand new dance called "Flipside" at the Hungarian Club run by a lovely couple Milton and Sue who have stuck their necks out and given us all a new home to continue on the wonderful tradition that Maria has created. The first dance on the 10th Jan is now booked out (with a waiting list) so its great to see all the rockers have put their support behind Milton and Sue to make sure this new dance is a success.