01-03-2024 01:32 PM
0 Replies
The Uptown Catz @ DJ...
Last post by Joseph Breitenfeld
29-02-2024 06:55 PM
0 Replies

Closed Thread

Gully - Church of Rock's Last Gig

Sad day indeed to learn today the Gully Church of Rock (Ferntree Gully Hotel) will be holding its final gig on Sunday, 29th September. I believe live rockabilly Sunday at the Gully has been going on for about eight years. It's popularity has attracted patrons from far and wide and the place has introduced numerous rockabilly bands over the years. So many wonderful memories, and I have made so many friends at the Gully. Special mention to Cliff & Maryann Jolly and Jazza in promoting live rockabilly at the Gully and spending countless hours organising bands and gigs. Job well done guys!

The last gig will feature the Atomic Hi Tones and Itchy Fingers. So come and party away before the Gully closes its doors to live rockabilly gigs for the last time.

Re: Gully - Church of Rock's Last Gig

Oh gees Jitts, certainly will be a sad time for many people, I only ever frequented the place once, It was a number of years ago, this was the time of the very last gig for the "Flatfoot shakers" before Kieron took off overseas. This news of yours brought back a memory.
    Aspire to inspire - - - before you Expire !

Re: Gully - Church of Rock's Last Gig

What a ride.
    Thankyou to all who participated in nearly a decade of awesome Sunday entertainment.

and I cant not mention Cliff & Jazz because I know what a huge commitment on their part it has been, being there week after week. Unless Cliff had a gig somewhere else he never missed going to the FTG to run the PA and have equipment on hand for emergencies while Jazz prepared and played all the in between music. That adds up to many hours of "all for the love of it" work.

Added to that was the intrusion on all our lives and time with phone calls, booking bands, writing promos, designing flyers, submitting ads, collating music etc.

Its no secret the Rockabilly Sundays were actually started by Shane, then organized for a couple of months by Chris & Jazz.
    6 months later, Cliff asked Sharlene (Then Manager) if she'd give him a shot at doing something on a Sunday. 8 years later, many different managers, lots of gigs for bands and many great days. Who would have thought it would last this long with the inclusion of the Monash and all the Meltdowns along the way.

Many friendships, romances, weddings and breakups have stemmed from the socializing on Sundays at the Gully.

Sadly also some deaths including just this week Glen Watson who I really liked and will miss.
    Plans are in place for a wake for Glen next week so check Vicrock and Facebook.
    It would be a great tribute to Glen to see many faces there. Glen was a big fan of music and the local bands and came to many gigs. I believe the Green Table in Dandenong is where the wake will be.

The FTG for me - A lot of red wine, I'm deafer than I was, I haven't been to a Sunday Market for years and I have missed not having a weekend. Having said that I've had great times and really loved the grunginess of the place which for me unfortunately changed when the ceiling and walls got painted white and all the decorative elements and collectibles were turfed out a year ago. It just never felt the same. Likewise with all the smokers herded up one end. Also the removal of all the partitions has opened it up but made it less homey for a hoarder like me. More room to dance which many prefer, but just not how I like it.
    I think I am just too old fashioned, my girls have houses all painted white and I feel like I'm at the doctors. Bring back clutter, grunge and black and definitely no down lights.

The party continues still with a few more weeks of awesome Rockabilly style entertainment and you never know what management have in store for next year. The stage has been refitted so live entertainment is still on the agenda I believe. It is a fantastic venue even without the clutter, so I have no doubt the subbies will still be put to use.

For now, our kids want a Sunday Roast.

XXMJ

PS

Saturday Nights - The York on Lilydale Hotel's winter rockabilly season is still in full swing on Saturday nights with double banders through September. A fantastic venue. Roomy but cosy with a huge beer garden through glass doors, big dance floor. Book for food because the bistro books out. Lots of well lit parking and all the amenities on site of a modern resort/hotel complex including accommodation if you get lucky..

Also Saturday Nights - In the city at the Dockland's South Warf is Gasolina. Really easy to get to. Parking is really cheap with some deal there. Food fantastic. Great theme in the décor.

Sundays - Daveys Bar in Frankston is not running Sunday entertainment but over the road, the PIER Hotel is, with Rockabilly Bands heading the pack for the Summer Entertainment Season.

Also Sundays - the Westernport Hotel at San Remo (opp the Fish'n'Chip shop near the bridge) has Sunday night bands with plans for a Summer program with other nights. The roads have been upgraded with the freeway making access to San Remo a cinch.
    Last edited by FIGJAM; 11-09-2013 at 09:54 PM.