Last post by Joseph Breitenfeld
29-02-2024 06:55 PM
0 Replies

Closed Thread

Time for another flash mob dance.

Flash Mob Dance
    Doncaster Shopping Town
    Sat 10th Nov 2.30pm

Would you like to be part of a flash mob dance at Doncaster Shopping Town, 619 Doncaster Rd, Doncaster on Sat. 10th Nov for a bit of fun and to promote rocknroll dancing and VICROCK?

A mob dance occurs in public places when 1 person starts to dance and people who seem to be passing by randomly join in until there is a huge mob of people dancing. When the music stops they all walk off and continue on their way so to the spectators it looks like a completely spontaneous public dance. We have not asked for permission to do this from centre management, so we may get asked to move on after a while, but then that adds to the fun of it all, doing something thats a bit naughty .

A group of about 50 put on a mob dance in the city in March 2010 and had a great time. This youtube link is for one of the dances we did in Bourke Street Mall.

The plan is to dance to 1 or 2 songs at the following places and times:

Outside Myer at the base of the escalators on the ground level at 2.30pm. Lovely shinny smooth tiled floor to dance on (I can email a map for location).

Outside the Apple store on Level 1 near the entrance to Big W. About 2.45pm

Join the mob for a drink, a chat, and another dance afterwards at the Shopping Town Hotel, 19 Williamsons Rd Doncaster, (across the road from the shopping centre) from 3-5pm. The functions manager is expecting us and they are happy for us to have a dance on a tiled area near the Skyline Bistro if we provide our own music. Drinks, coffee, snacks etc available

Parking: The shopping centre has ticketed parking which is free for the first 3 hours. As it’s a very busy place to park allow plenty of time to find a spot, or park at the hotel across the road which has plenty of space. Allow 5-10 minutes to walk across the road and find Myers.

Please let me know if you would like to join in so I know if we have enough to make a “mob”. Then make sure you have a dance partner and be at Doncaster Shopping Town outside Myers before 2.30pm on the 10th of Nov, appear to be walking past and join in when the music starts. Remember to wander off when the music finishes towards the next designated spot as we want it to all look very spontaneous.

I will try to get some media coverage and will also be looking for volunteers to hand out flyers so come along even if you don’t want to dance. Any questions send me a message or reply to this post. Feel free to pass on the details to your friends.

Will also need something portable to play some music on without power. Any suggestions?

Cheers
    Jocelyn

Re: Time for another flash mob dance.

Think I 'll be it again but will bring my runners just in case. Either that, will be enjoying a free meal & bed for the night at the slammer courtesy of the Vic Govt and Police ....LOL

Hope a DJ, band or dance teacher can lend us a small PA system for the day. Without music loud enough, it will be hard to catch the attention of the crowd. Join in the fun - the more the merrier!

Sounds fab Joceb, it's always fun doing something a little bit naughty in public

You are rude, RockinSweetheart!
    Liberté, égalité, fraternité

*GASP* Moi??? Never!!

Thumbs up Re: Time for another flash mob dance.

count me in too!joceb,and we had a great time in the city coupla years ago,finishing off with dancin to the straight eights!at the young and jackson hotel opposite flinders train station.pity that venue has also shelved the sunday arvo bands...yeah jitts good idea to crank the music up,lets get some flyers goin,ive already run into some old faces and said its all on again,hopefully doncaster shoppin centre will be vibrant and the weather good..or back to the city in the near future..tezza.ps,rocknroll clubs or swing clubs like ministry may well be interested to participate too..

Yes March 2010 was a great day, enjoyed by about 50 dancers. The shopping town Hotel (opposite Doncaster Shoppingtown) has given us permission to dance from 3-5 in their bistro area which has smooth tiled floor but we have to bring our own music / player so I'm looking for a volunteer to be DJ for an hour or 2 after the mob dance. Will also get some flyers to hand out as the whole idea is to promote Vicrock and the RnR dance scene, so volunteers to hand out flyers and take photos also needed.

Have around 16 dancers so far so encourage your friends to come along - you'll get a buzz out of doing something a bit naughty and a round of applause from the stunned passers by too. And always good to meet some new faces and enjoy a drink, a chat and a dance afterwards at the pub.

Jocelyn

Quote Originally Posted by Tezza View Post
    count me in too!joceb,and we had a great time in the city coupla years ago,finishing off with dancin to the straight eights!at the young and jackson hotel opposite flinders train station.pity that venue has also shelved the sunday arvo bands...yeah jitts good idea to crank the music up,lets get some flyers goin,ive already run into some old faces and said its all on again,hopefully doncaster shoppin centre will be vibrant and the weather good..or back to the city in the near future..tezza.ps,rocknroll clubs or swing clubs like ministry may well be interested to participate too..

I'm in

fun & peter

I'm looking for dancers who live in the Manningham council to do a phone interview with the Manningham Leader about the mob dance. This is a great chance to plug vicrock and the Melbourne RnR scene but the paper wants to talk to Manningham residents, not me. If you can help please contact me.
    Thanks
    Jocelyn

Cool Re: Time for another flash mob dance.

Yep! sounds great. We'll be there.

Great Reddy rock. Let me know your name so I can say hi on the day.

Update on Mob Dance

Hi flash mob dancers. I now have nearly 40 dancers who are looking forward to a bit of fun on sat 10th Nov at Doncaster shopping town at 2.30pm. I have the music sorted (4 speakers, an amp and a battery with ipod set up in a suitcase on wheels) so turn up a bit before 2.30, say hello and then wander off to look in shops until the music starts, then join in and watch the stunned looks on the shoppers when a heap of people start to rock n roll. We will dance to the 6 min version of Matchbox and then when it finishes wander off to the area outside the Apple store for the next dance about 15-20 min later. Then we'll head over to the Shoppingtown hotel for a dance and a coffee (or something stronger) to celebrate not getting locked up for making a public nuisance of ourselves . Spread the word around your friends, drag your family along to watch and take photos, and most importantly have a bit of fun as well as publicize our great rock n roll dance scene.

Cheers
    Jocelyn

Great day to entertain the shoppers at Doncaster shoppingtown. Have 50 plus coming along so should make a big impact. Thanks to all who have volunteered to spread the love of rock n roll dancing to the wider community. Thanks also to volunteers who have offered to hand out flyers and take photos.

See you all there.

Cheers
    Jocelyn