0 Replies
The Uptown Catz @ DJ...
Last post by Joseph Breitenfeld
29-02-2024 06:55 PM
0 Replies

+ Reply to Thread

32 yr old female looking for a male Rockabilly Dance Partner in eastern sub

Hi there!

I am would love to learn Rockabilly dancing, but don't know where to start. I have previously done a little rock n' roll, however love the attitude of the rockabilly and would love to find a male dance partner who is willing to join me and perhaps know's of somewhere where we can learn?!

Cheers

Re: 32 yr old female looking for a male Rockabilly Dance Partner in eastern sub

HI-l am a rockabilly dancer ,it's not tought any more ,but l will dance with you

Hello, he in Argentina we have one of the best rockabilly dancer in the world!!! If you have a ticket travel, come here and you´ll learn!!

I let you a video!!!! His name is Miguel Brus, you´ll be frozen!

Enjoy it!!!!

Romina
    Last edited by RomyRock&Roll; 22-02-2012 at 12:38 PM.

HI-Thankyou for the invite ,and thankyou for the vidio ,but you "do not have the best rockabilly dancer" - very clean ,as exspected -very little showmanshisp (enough to please the croud ) -seen that style before ,is not as l know it the real rockabilly style ,as rockabilly /hillbilly/jitterbugger l would exspect more -nice ,but exspect more from full on 40's,50's rocker-WONDER-

Nice flashy dancing in these vids, but not rockabilly. Looks to me like old style jitterbug, but I'm not up on other styles so can't be certain.

Rockabilly is a style of music dating back to the 40s. A blend of hillbilly country and rock'n'roll. What people call 'rockabilly dancing' now is just rock'n'roll with a couple of different nuances and with tons of attitude.

There is no set footwork. Repeat.....there is no set footwork. It's about feeling the music and going with it, not being taught a sequence or 17 different turns.

It can't be taught. Watch those that dance and see that all are individuals and doing things differently but it stands out because it isn't exactly like programmed rock'n'roll, swing, jitterbug or lindy hop. And it stands out because the simplicity of it makes it looks so cool.

If you can dance basic rock'n'roll (and rockabilly was VERY basic with only a few turns) and you love the sound and feel of rockabilly music, then JUST DANCE. If you watch others and like their nuances, then pick 'em up, copy 'em and make 'em your own.

Rockabilly is about being and individual and loving the music. Not about learning what everyone else does or buying into any programming. That goes against the essence of what rockabilly music was all about.
    Good manners cost nothing.

The idea was to show you another style, maybe here in Argentina is not the same concept as you have about rockabilly. It's like the Tango, is not the same in Argentina than in Europe. Each country dances it your way, and the idea was to approach them something different.
    But I see that was misinterpreted ...

I really would like to see the "real rockabilly" that you talk about. Maybe I have not yet seen the true pace.

Thanks for your input and hope you find soon a professor of rockabilly.

Quote Originally Posted by RomyRock&Roll View Post
    The idea was to show you another style, maybe here in Argentina is not the same concept as you have about rockabilly. It's like the Tango, is not the same in Argentina than in Europe. Each country dances it your way, and the idea was to approach them something different.
    But I see that was misinterpreted ...

I really would like to see the "real rockabilly" that you talk about. Maybe I have not yet seen the true pace.

Thanks for your input and hope you find soon a professor of rockabilly.
    Hi Romy,

My answer was not directed at you. It's very interesting how dancing styles and names of dances and styles differ from one country to another. Everything grows and evolves so what we talk about today as Rockabilly (dancing) will probably be completely different in 20 years time.

I'm all for preserving the roots and origins of things...music, dance, anything really. So with that in mind, if you'd like to private message me with your email address I will try to find some examples of what we here in Melbourne recognise as originally dancing to rockabilly music.

I also have some DVDs of early rockabilly dances held here in Melbourne in the early 90s. It might contain something of interest to you.

I'd love to hear more about what you do there as well. We can continue this information share off the forum, if you'd like?

Quote Originally Posted by longgonebaby View Post
    Nice flashy dancing in these vids, but not rockabilly. Looks to me like old style jitterbug, but I'm not up on other styles so can't be certain.

Rockabilly is a style of music dating back to the 40s. A blend of hillbilly country and rock'n'roll. What people call 'rockabilly dancing' now is just rock'n'roll with a couple of different nuances and with tons of attitude.

There is no set footwork. Repeat.....there is no set footwork. It's about feeling the music and going with it, not being taught a sequence or 17 different turns.

It can't be taught. Watch those that dance and see that all are individuals and doing things differently but it stands out because it isn't exactly like programmed rock'n'roll, swing, jitterbug or lindy hop. And it stands out because the simplicity of it makes it looks so cool.

If you can dance basic rock'n'roll (and rockabilly was VERY basic with only a few turns) and you love the sound and feel of rockabilly music, then JUST DANCE. If you watch others and like their nuances, then pick 'em up, copy 'em and make 'em your own.

Rockabilly is about being and individual and loving the music. Not about learning what everyone else does or buying into any programming. That goes against the essence of what rockabilly music was all about.
    HI-Rockabilly can be taught ,l was taught it , l will show you the basic step OK but the rest comes from with in you . Now as rockabilly begin the basic rock steps -foot work ,noway --l now the orig- 40's /50's moves ok -WONDER

I'm very curious Wonder! What, where and when were these steps for Rockabilly that you were taught? 40s/50s era didn't have anything that was called 'rockabilly dancing'. The dancing was jive/swing/jitterbug style from those eras. Or 'pub rock' from Melbourne. Very cool, very suitable for rockabilly music.

Is that the style and steps you are referring to? Was it the dancing done at the time in pubs and clubs around Melbourne to live music?

HI-Pub rock is the current style (pub rock is due to dancing in tight spaces /little movement-crouded spaces -and for peaple who want to keep it modern OK is not suitable for original 40's 50's rocker (my opion ) .HOW curious are you ,like to see you on dance floor -are you UP FOR CHALLENGE -(if so at little maria's this friday) WONDER

Quote Originally Posted by longgonebaby View Post
    Hi Romy,

My answer was not directed at you. It's very interesting how dancing styles and names of dances and styles differ from one country to another. Everything grows and evolves so what we talk about today as Rockabilly (dancing) will probably be completely different in 20 years time.

I'm all for preserving the roots and origins of things...music, dance, anything really. So with that in mind, if you'd like to private message me with your email address I will try to find some examples of what we here in Melbourne recognise as originally dancing to rockabilly music.

I also have some DVDs of early rockabilly dances held here in Melbourne in the early 90s. It might contain something of interest to you.

I'd love to hear more about what you do there as well. We can continue this information share off the forum, if you'd like?

Oh, it´s a great idea!! My email adress is romy_cambalache@hotmail.com. See you soon!!!!!! Send me an email!

Thumbs up Re: 32 yr old female looking for a male Rockabilly Dance Partner in eastern sub

rockabilly music was origanally a combination of rock and roll and hillbilly music created in the early 50"s. Artists who were early rockabilly muso's were Carl Perkins who is considerd the king of rockabilly,Eddy Cochrane,Elvis,Jerry Lee Lewis,and Johnny Cash.It comes from south/eastern states of USA,Sun records is where these muso's recorded their rockabilly music,and a good example is the recording session of the "Million dollar quartet" at sun records which is now a broadway musical based on this recording session.

There is a difference between how you dance rockabilly,rock and roll and jitterbug/lindyhop or swing.

example rockabilly is danced in 4 time
    rock and roll is danced in 6 time
    swing is danced in 8 time

In Australia there is only a small % who dance traditional rockabilly confined to the purists. You will find that 6 time rock and roll is the dance that 80% of people in australia prefer.Its very common in most pubs and dance halls through out the country and if you can dance 6 time rock and roll you will be better positioned to get a lot of dances.

keep dancing from the boogie woogie king.