The Uptown Catz @ DJ...
Last post by Joseph Breitenfeld
29-02-2024 06:55 PM
0 Replies

Random Member Photos

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Flash Mob Dance

Flash Mob Dance

Some of you may recall we, rock & rollers, did several "flash mob" dances around Melbourne over a year ago, including staging it at the Federation Square, Bourke Street Mall and at the Southern Cross & Flinders Street railway stations. We did it because we thought it would be fun and also aimed at promoting rock & roll dancing to the general public. It would be nice to do it again if there's sufficient interest amongst rock & rollers out there. Benefiting from that experience, I am sure we could do it a bit better the second time around ........

Anyway, here's a video of a really good flash mob dance staged by swing dancers at the Denver International airport. Great advertising for the music and dance that we all enjoy so much!

Re: Flash Mob Dance

Thank you for sharing Jitt, it's great seeing what others are doing with their dancing

I did however find this clip a little difficult to watch as I felt that the dancers were not utilising the music to its full advantage, like they danced to every second beat or such which made it feel to me that the dancing was too slow for the chosen music.

I will be the first to admit that I like my dancing fast whatever style I'm doing and to those who know me this is no secret, but in my opinion I felt this choreography needed winding up or the music changed to match the slower movements.

Looked like fun, would love to be involved in something similar- but faster!

Talking Re: Flash Mob Dance

Hey!

Was that Charlie Sheen walking through, right at the start?

I like this idea (but not so much the people in the clip - talented, well presented & clever yes, but a bit too choreographed for a flash mob for my tastes).

For most of my adult life I did not know R'n'R dancing was still alive. I only found Just Rock by accident.

The more R'n'R dance clubs and dance schools can get out in public in shopping centres, school fetes, community festivals and even flash mobs the more chance we have of letting people know about the fun of all of this.

Demos do not have to be complicated. A few spins and loops to '50s style music plus a bit of show-biz razzle is enough to grab the attention of non-dancers.

And when you put on a demo, do take some flyers to hand out.
    Rob Ewart
    Victorian Rock'n'Roll Dance Assoc

www.VRRDA.org.au

It's your Association, get involved. Good ideas are always welcome.
    Make sure your R'n'R club or dance school is getting best value.

Great stuff Jitt's, I just love the dance, looks really cool, It seemed like a forgone conclusion with all those spectators looking off the balconies, and the camera people all set up ready to shoot.
    We'd probably get into the flash mob thing, if we were down your way, it'd probably be a whole lot of fun. Keep up the good work.
    Aspire to inspire - - - before you Expire !

Great clip, and there are many examples of flash mob dances around, including the one we did in March 2010. I think we put the link on vicrock at the time? Have had a few chats recently about doing another one soon, possibly at Doncaster shopping town as they have lovely smooth marble floors that would be great to dance on. If we did another I think we'd need to hand out flyers for vicrock, or have tshirts with www.vicrock.com.au on the back for a bit of promotion. Maybe something to plan for early next year if there is enough interest, but with free style rock n roll as it would be a big job geting a routine together like in this clip.

Smile Re: Flash Mob Dance

We had a great time at the last flash mob dance. Let's do it again for sure. But no choreography please.