0 Replies
The Uptown Catz @ DJ...
Last post by Joseph Breitenfeld
29-02-2024 06:55 PM
0 Replies

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Barham Rock & Roll Music Festival - August 2011

Glorious, sunny “spring” weather in a country setting by the Murray, and round the clock rock & roll music and dancing – that’s how I would sum up the 2011 Barham R&R Music Festival.

It was an easy drive from Melbourne travelling on the Calder Hwy before taking the road to Kerang, followed by a short drive across the NSW border to Barham. Unlike Wintersun and other rockabilly & hotrods festivals, and perhaps by choice, this festival is principally venue based, with all activities taking place indoor at CluBarham and also in the evening at the Barham Country & Golf Club. The festival is all about 1950’s style rock & roll music and dancing, and mainly attended by the “Baby Boomers” generation. In particular, I noticed R&R line up dancing and country partner dancing were also very popular throughout the weekend.

I arrived on Friday evening but the fun had already started the day before. “What’s Next” which is a local Shepparton 1950’s style R&R band played at CluBarham on the Friday night to a full capacity crowd including a big representation of rockers from the various country Victoria & NSW R&R clubs. There were many dancers from Melbourne too including a big contingent from Linda’s R&R dance class. I also spotted a few dancers from Tassie including Heather & Graham from the Hobart based R&R club. A shuttle bus service was operating all weekend between CluBarham and the Barham Gold & Country club and many took advantage of it to dance to the Rockin’ Daddys playing there on Friday and Saturday nights.

Throughout the day, there were solos, duos and trios playing non-stop R&R music and DJ Flash spinning his records during the breaks. On Saturday night, the Rockin’ Bodgies from Q’land, took to the stage. It was a huge gala night and there must have been close to 500 dancers there with many of them dressed up in their 1950’s style clothing & dance shoes. There’s no doubt about it – rock & roll fashion, music & dancing are much very alive in Australia today.

There was a “Breakfast at the Park” on Sunday morning followed by more dancing back at CluBarham and the Rockin’ Bodgies again on stage that night. I‘m pretty sure there will be many tired rockers turning up for work on Monday morning but after having a very enjoyable weekend at the Barham Rock & Roll Music Festival.

Finally, sample of videos taken over the weekend ………….

Last edited by Jitterbug; 29-08-2011 at 04:20 PM.

Cool Re: Barham Rock & Roll Music Festival - August 2011

G'day Jitterbug,
    Was great to catch up again after all these years.
    Barham was fantastic. Caught up with many friends from all around Au.
    Thank You for recording us dance that was awesome. ( Tracy and Bob)

Barham have another fantastic festival in Feb.
    So if you missed this one rock along to to the next one.

Hugz N Gigglz Razz

Re: Barham Rock & Roll Music Festival - August 2011

It certainly was a perfect weekend jitterbug. Beautiful weather, fabulous music and a great opportunity to catch up with old (and young) mates. We're certainly well catered for along the mighty Murray and wasn't she flowing? Been a long time since I saw that much water in her, but I digress...

We arrived at cluBarham early Friday afternoon and as soon as the dance lessons were over the music began. Clearly, it was going to be a long, hard three days! WHATS NEXT began the action at cluBarham while ROCKIN DADDYS were at the golf club. The cluBarham dance floor was packed and we, having never seen this other version of Atomic Hi-Tones, decided to grab a lift in the courtesy bus and got over to hear them.
    A bit more up tempo than our own Shepparton band WHATS NEXT, but when they played 'Long Blonde Hair' I knew what was lurking beneath, and it was simply itching to get out. This happened on Sunday night and we were treated to a nice evening of rockabilly as Atomic Hi-Tones well know how to do. Thanks for a great - if exhausting night guys.

As we spent all night at the golf club I can add no more than Paul has written although all reports next day were that it was a great night.

By Sunday (me being a war baby not a baby boomer) I slept until around 10.30am and we wandered into town just in time to see Baz and Linda pick up the prize for the 'prettiest car' with their '66 Thunderbird convertable. Daryl's orange '34 Plymouth was pretty cool as was the Cream and red chevy from Cobram owned by that big bloke from Cobram whose name eludes me right now. There were three or four other cars entered in the 'Show and Shine' including a blue FJ with a white racing stripe, another big red convertable and a yellow truck sorta like an F100. Sorry guys, but cars are not really my scene but I love looking at them and thinking about how much work and money y'all put into their upkeep. Ahh, and there was the black Customline with rego plate RKNRL. Way to Go!
    Personally, I think the teddy bears in the back won Baz and Linda the prize. They looked so cute.

The only downer during the festival was that cluBarham admin decided to join the ranks of those seeking commercial gain and although Linda offered to continue her free dance lessons the organisers went for the private lessons with the doors locked tighter than Fort Knox. Quite a number of people commented about it, but I guess we have to accept that the days of the volunteer are fast disappearing. This however, was only a very insignificant feature overall and everyone appreciated Linda's offer, and it was a great festival.

Can't wait until next year!!
    Last edited by cirrus; 31-08-2011 at 03:14 PM. Reason: Spelling error. alludes should be eludes :)
    Liberté, égalité, fraternité

Hey Cirrus - thanks for adding on comments about the cars and dance classes, and also abit more about the music. The black customline with the rego "RKNRL" is owned by a young couple from Melbourne, and they are fantastic dancers too. I think his name is "Mario" and his partner wore lovely, eye catching 1950's rockabilly dresses.

If I could add to the wish list, I feel the festival could well benefit from involving the local businesses more by staging a few selected events on the main street with live music and dancing during the day - just like Wintersun/Cooly Rocks On. But then again, the existing business model is well tested and works well to-date so why change a winning formula?

Also, a dance competition and 1950's style fashion parade may well add to the long list of attractions............

Cool Re: Barham Rock & Roll Music Festival - August 2011

Great ideas and suggestions guys.

I have passed them onto the Barham Club.

They always welcome comments and ideas.

Hugz N Gigglz Razz

There was a bloke singing in the main drag on Saturday morning Paul, and he attracted a few folk, but I didn't notice any dancers. A fifties style fashion show would be great. I wonder if I can find my old royal blue trousers with the twelve inch cuffs and white sports coat?

It could work well, but as you say, the existing model has been tested and they are happy with the result. On the other hand, they are willing to change a winning formula as was shown by changing the lesson format. Perhaps an enterprising business in town could take up Linda's offer and have two lesson venues?

I guess they know what's best and all I really care about is that the festival continues for the next three or so years. After that I seriously doubt it will bother me.

Hey Jitts & Cirrus
    It's my recollection from a few years ago and I am pretty sure it was "Rockin Daddies" the wheel has turned the full circle, the Barham festival was on, hundreds & hundreds of people attended,the town was bursting at the seams with rockers from everywhere even as far away as QLD, loads of chrome bumper Classics, soft tops down and chicks in the back rumbling up & down the main drag musical horns blaring, with the similar twin venue thing and the courtesy buses, all free at this time,the club picked up the tick, on the Sunday bands played on the street, outside some of the shops, and to mention "Rockin Daddies" I think they were at the bakery, on this particular occasion and played there most of the morning, Maryanne would know this fact, what about it Maryanne? also at the brecky in the park I think bands played there also. Things have changed quite a bit since the first few Rock by the river festivals at Barham. Reminiscing is a great mind tease when you've got old timers disease.
    Aspire to inspire - - - before you Expire !

Yep gjo, glad to hear that you remember that. It was way before my time, but I reckon the potential is there for more of the same. The Rockin Daddys at the bakery would be - as they say these days - awsome.

There were people from Queensland and Tasmania and bundles from Melbourne as Jitts commented and what a place for a festival. Two big dance venues licenced to sell booze and a courtesy bus provided between venues every thirty minutes. A town laden with parks for those inclined toward walks, the Murray River and Koondrook just over the river with some fabulous historic and local cultural features. And, both towns full of friendly locals. What else can one ask for?

If a town having a book festival as Clunes (from memory) does every year can have rockin' in the street to a band on a tray truck, the mind boggles when thinking about what Barham would be like during a rock 'n' roll festival.

Bring it on I say!

We couldn,t make it this year because my wife still has the sore back.In for an operation next Wednesday. We had been to everyone of this festival and have seen it slowly change which I think is the best way to change.We have seen bands in the streets in the past with just a couple of rods turn up to the festival that was on at the weekend Great venues /dance floors and lots of friendly people there to dance .Sadly the car side of it seems to be failing to grab the interest of their owners but then its a rock n roll dance festival. I remember the first Barham festival we went with friends. The 3 of us had pontiac,s. The next year there were a couple more cars and so on but after 8 years the car following really has not increased that much. Going by what I have been told the people numbers were a little down this year,(dunno why as this festival seems to attract the same folk every year)and you cannot go wrong with the Rockin Daddies and Flash. This festival will change and time will tell if the changes are going to work.The cost to get in for the 3 days is very reasonable for the fun you get in return. Great bands ,great scenery and great venues.The change mentioned to me for this weekend was the food at the services club was expensive where last year they supplies a help yourself buffet. Big wish is for it to stay the same and lets hope the greed demon stays away.
    That,ll be the day the music die,s

Thank you for all your comments regarding our most recent Rock By The River Festival we appreciate you voicing your thoughts and your positive feedback.

We would like to address some of the comments on this wesbite, firstly with Linda's dance lessons. We have privately thanked her for her wonderful input into our festival over the years and would like to take this opportunity to thank her for all her hard work. We have offered her a place as a paid instructor and would enjoy having her here in this capacity.

Having local businesses involved with our festivals would be fantastic. All Barham and Koondrook businesses have been given the opportunity to become involved in all of our festivals during the year and we would love to have them on board.

Thank you to all the people who participated in our Play In The Park, this breakfast was designed to bring the festival into the community and all proceeds go directly to the Barham Koondrook Lions Club therefore your support of the breakfast helps various local charities.

We will be hosting a fashion show at our Febraury festival in 2012. Gorgeous Gear have many ideas in the pipeline, Lynne and Mal are sure to put on a feast for the eyes with their many beautiful outfits.

Our Bistro did not have the salad bar last year, this was removed due to possible health issues. However we still offer low cost meals from a little as $12 at our Bistro and also meals available at our Coffee Shop. Plus Chinese meals available at the Barham Golf and Country Club.

I hope this answers your questions and comments.
    If you have any further comments please contact Lisa Morris or myself (Jade Williams) at the Barham Services Club Ph (03) 5453 2159 or email jade@clubarham.com.au

We look forward to seeing you all in February for another fantastic festival.
    Keep the positive feedback coming!

Lisa Morris and Jade Williams
    cluBarham Festival Coordinators

The first thing that comes to mind Jade is that as Linda volunteered to continue her classes on the same conditions as the previous eight years, why does cluBarham insist that she be a paid instructor? Surely there's a place for the more complicated, advanced private classes as well as catering for the less experienced dancer? Perhaps Linda could fill that gap. Most of us are not hot shot advanced dancers looking for clever routines that can only be done with a partner who has attended the same advanced dancing lessons.

Is cluBarham also suggesting paying workers in Opportunity shops, the mothers who volunteer at Preschool centres and perhaps your local CFA? Regional towns rely on volunteers as you should well know, in fact we depend on them.

Surely cluBarham is not so opposed to volunteerism as that? If so, it's a sad reflection on the direction our society is heading.

As roknray noted that it appeared that numbers were down this time around. Maybe it's time for cluBarham to consider why this is so. It would be a dreadful shame - for the dancers AND your community - to lose such a geat venue for lack of numbers.

But, as I said earlier, what the hell would I know. Just thoughts.

Hi Cirrus,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your thoughts about our festival.

cluBarham is not in any way against volunteers, in the recent floods we opened our doors as an emergency evacuation centre and supplied food and drinks to hundreds of people affected by the floods from the Kerang area with many volunteers assisting with this process.

We support the community by donating over $300,000 a year to not for profit organisations who rely on funding and volunteers to keep their organisations viable.

It was wonderful to note that our attendees at our dance lessons this year, were well up compared to previous years and the feedback was positive. The dance lessons this year provided for both the beginners to intermediate level on the Friday afternoon and the more advanced lessons were held on Saturday morning. We will aim to do the same again for future lessons so that all dancers are catered for.

Barham accommodation was full to capacity again this year, many thanks to our wonderful Rock and Roll enthusiasts for supporting us for what was a great weekend of quality entertainment at a very reasonable price.

Yours in Rock and Roll
    Lisa Morris and Jade Williams

Smile Re: Barham Rock & Roll Music Festival - August 2011

Quote Originally Posted by roknray View Post
    We couldn,t make it this year because my wife still has the sore back.In for an operation next Wednesday. We had been to everyone of this festival and have seen it slowly change which I think is the best way to change.We have seen bands in the streets in the past with just a couple of rods turn up to the festival that was on at the weekend Great venues /dance floors and lots of friendly people there to dance .Sadly the car side of it seems to be failing to grab the interest of their owners but then its a rock n roll dance festival. I remember the first Barham festival we went with friends. The 3 of us had pontiac,s. The next year there were a couple more cars and so on but after 8 years the car following really has not increased that much. Going by what I have been told the people numbers were a little down this year,(dunno why as this festival seems to attract the same folk every year)and you cannot go wrong with the Rockin Daddies and Flash. This festival will change and time will tell if the changes are going to work.The cost to get in for the 3 days is very reasonable for the fun you get in return. Great bands ,great scenery and great venues.The change mentioned to me for this weekend was the food at the services club was expensive where last year they supplies a help yourself buffet. Big wish is for it to stay the same and lets hope the greed demon stays away.
    I would like to add that the car numbers were down as there is an annual run to Marong which is unfortunate as a lot of Barham R&Rs are also members of Kerang Car club.... we were there with our Pontiac and won most popular car. Was a fantastic festival and we hope everyone had a good time...

Thanks for thanking me Jade. It was my pleasure and I'm glad that lessons were not only successful, but increased in attendees. Also pleased that accomodation was full to capacity. I guess one can't hope for better than reaching your limit. Well done.

As I said earlier, after three or four years, I'll probably be in the big festival in the sky so I won't really care, and lessons - free or otherwise - aren't a concern for me. I was just passing on information that I had gleaned from other folk. I hope it helps you in the future.

I agree with your thoughts cirrus.Dunno why Linda started doing the lessons way back when but I bet it was not for the money For those that may not have been before then this festival would have looked like all the others that go on,just a little smaller. This subject has been a talking point with the one,s I know that when to Barham and these rockers have been going since day one as well .Their comment is that every step that they took at Barham in the past will soon cost and for them it will kill this great festival. I know these things cost money to run and if they cost too much then the rockers will stop supporting the venues and what they have to offer except for the dance floor .You know where I,m coming from with this.They then have to increase prices and so on and before you know it the festival is over. I figure Barham and its accomadation not being that big would have been full anyway and in reality could not service more rockers. To keep this event low cost as it is at the moment they have to attract more people and you need to have somewhere for them to stay. This is not going to change in the near future so its only a matter of time before it is out of reach for most of us. Like other events we dont go to because of the high costs we,re hoping it doesnt happen here.The change is happening. Thanks for the update rosiekatt on the cars.Our pontiac got a first prize as well one year,pontiac,s rule. Anyway I know it looks like a whinge but I,m kinda over these events jacking prices up to make big profit and then get a spin doctor to sugar coat it.Hell it worked for the past 7 years.One of the bigger festivals that happens in Victoria is hoping to take it away from the town it started in to a bigger town with more places to hold more people to keep the costs down .Huge accomadation available,BIG dance floors etc. More people means more money means they dont have to put prices up. Linda, well done on the efforts of past years,a job well done.You have the gratitude of all that took advantage of you free lessons.Bottom line is we have our cabin booked from year to year so we will be there next year. If prices go up then we will cook in the cabins and if they go up again we will leave the hotrod at home($140 petrol last year) and then, well all thats left is to stay at home because I reckon I will be retired by then,oh bugger I,m that old.
    That,ll be the day the music die,s

Hi gjo267
    Rockin Daddys (AKA AHT) have played in the street a couple of times and it rocked.
    First time one August when the sun was warm and delightful, next time in February when it was hot hot hot and the shade disappeared fast, melting us all.

Unfortunately, Cliff was in hospital all last week again with more foot surgery and got out Thursday against advice to go to Barham on Friday. Blood was gushing out his foot, hence no street and him sitting down to sing you will notice in the video clips. Hopefully he's on the mend at last. I've said that a few times this year.

ROCKIN DADDYS were 'the best', Fig Jam. They wore me out. Bugger about Cliff's foot, but it didn't seem to slow him down all that much.

Barham at this time of the year is OK weather wise, but the thought of it in February is horrifying. We'll be at home checking our fire pump and hoping that we'll not need it.

And yes roknray, if the accomodation was full this time, this entire thread is academic. I suppose it's cleared the situation if nothing else.

Hi Figgie sorry to hear about Cliff’s foot sounds like he needs to be more careful with his condition, We had a friend with the same problem she never looked after herself and sadly passed away a couple of years ago. So you need to put the pressure on Cliff to be very careful.

Well said Ray and Cirrus, I'm inclined to agree with you both, I can remember when the first $ charge went on at Barham it was $10 for the weekend, I 've still got the green arm band floating around in my car, It is my understanding the club owns most of the town including some motels and at the time we were attending, I think the camping ground too,we camped over at Koondrook always plenty of room there, we’ve never had food at the club, did look at it at one stage but opted to eat out in the town, there’s some nice little cafe's, Takeaways and Restaurants, brecky was always good at the Bakery, Club meals we've found are always a little doggy and a bit pricey especially Bain-Marie, although we did have a meal at the Royal Derby last Sunday evening and we both came down with the Abdul ram-an capers early Monday morning, so you just never know. I find it a bit of a drag to drive for 31/2 hrs to Barham for a load of half good bands & some not so good with one good draw card eg “Atomics” for a weekend when I can drive 3hrs to Melbourne and get bands Friday, Sat & Sunday that have music I really like.

I went down this track, a couple of years ago, with the Barham club when they were going to field the Dirty Boogie band don't get me wrong here Dirty Boogie is a great band but R & R, not sure, anyway the club promised me dearly that Dirty Boogie would play R & R all weekend, I just laughed and we went to Melbourne. I heard the whingers after the festival, but the swingers loved it.

Ray you will know this, the band selection early on, with this festival was superb and the music was brilliant, I do love the Clubs main dance floor it's fast, not overly rapt with the set up or the floor at the Golf Club.

There is going to be another festival on the Murray, not so far to drive for me just an hour, I can't say much about it at this stage because of it's infancy but it's going to be early next year I believe, plenty of accommodation available and is going to be run by some local dancers apparently the town is going to back these guys to the hilt. Over the last couple of years there have been a couple of dances a year in the main hall in the town and the town has seen what these can do to draw people into their town I’ll just wait and see how this eventuates.

Hey jade87 the $300,000 you give away to whoever could be used to get better bands and give a bit of life to your town during the festival, and maybe you could use some of it to get around to see, hear and dance to some the good bands that would really draw the rockers to your establishment, Barham is a bleak place during the winter especially Sunday morning after a big weekend of dancing and frivolity. I don't mind paying for my entertainment as long as it is reasonable but for you to give away $300,000 means to me you're a little greedy with the $25 charge.
    Aspire to inspire - - - before you Expire !

Yep gjo. I was a bit confused by the comment from Jade about the $300 grand and the evac centre use being related to volunteers offering a service to the festival, but perhaps it's a bit too clever a spin for a old bugger like me.
    It seems to me that the decision has been made by a new bunch of organisers and the only thing that will change will be an attempt by cluBarham to increase their profit margin.

I look forward to the possibility of a new festival and will have no reluctance to offer my services on a VOLUNTEER basis in any way, except dance lessons.

I feel Jade has kindly taken the time to reply to the queries and suggestions raised in the forum in the manner she sees fit. Let's leave it at that as Vicrock is not the appropriate forum to discuss & debate it further, whatever our personal views may be.

Vicrock principally seek to actively promote bands, venues and promoters that support the 1950's style rock & roll music & dance. I personally hope the Barham Rock & Roll Festival will continue to be staged for many more years to come, and to be well supported by many who participate in the scene.

Thank you to all who have contributed to this thread.