01-03-2024 01:32 PM
0 Replies
The Uptown Catz @ DJ...
Last post by Joseph Breitenfeld
29-02-2024 06:55 PM
0 Replies

Closed Thread

A quiet weekend in the country...

Turned into a very busy Sunday when we decided to visit "the Church of Rock" at Ferntree Gully to check out a band we hadn't seen before. The FLYIN' SAUCERS had indeed landed and what a band they are. Vocals by Alex were supported by Chris on drums, Dave on guitar and a truly breathtaking performance by Belinda on that big black bass. Three hours of great rockabilly. Their version of 'These boots are made for walking' is well worth requesting. I love a band that enjoys performing and this band just oozes personality. They're playing at the Royal Derby Rocktober festival and if you haven't seen them I suggest you get along there.

As we'd come all this way, we decided to visit the nearby Mitcham RSL that we'd heard was pretty good. A nice meal and another band we hadn't experienced before, the HONKY TONK BOOGIE BAND, meant this was a good decision. I couldn't help but think about Jitterbug's recent post where he said how fortunate Melbourne Rockers are. This band, with Mark on piano, Simon on bass, Shaun on drums and James - borrowed the Fender Benders - on guitar. Lachy, the band's usual guitarist, was unable to play. The dancing was non-stop, with a great mix of dance styles - rockabilly, rock & roll and swing, with partner and line dancing during the breaks. I love watching different styles of dancing while catching my breath (getting some air into the old tobacco-****ed lungs).

So much for a quiet weekend in the country!
    Liberté, égalité, fraternité

Endeavour Hills, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Re: A quiet weekend in the country...

Glad you caught up with a couple more Melbourne bands cirrus. Flyin' Saucers were on fire at the Gully yesterday. Love the way they rockabilly-up certain non rock & roll songs, especially that killer version of the beatles' 'Lady Madonna' ... wow! ... crazy!
    I see you found the Mitham RSL, thank God for the GPS.
    Live & let Live, Love & let Love, Rock & let Roll, plus related clichés.

Re: A quiet weekend in the country...

Better rest up Cirrus ....... more dancing in Barham coming up this weekend. Glad you like the Flying Saucers and the Honky Tonk Boogie Band. Would have caught up last weekend but was somewhere else checking up on a swing band.

See you & Vonnie in Barham .......