01-03-2024 01:32 PM
0 Replies
The Uptown Catz @ DJ...
Last post by Joseph Breitenfeld
29-02-2024 06:55 PM
0 Replies

Closed Thread

Live Music Venues (Victoria) Research Report

A local newspaper yesterday carried a news item that the Victorian Government has released a report titled “The Economic, Social & Cultural Contribution of Venue Based Live Music in Victoria”. The report indicated that research shows a massive 5.4 million people in Victoria attended gigs in live music venues such as hotels, bars, nightclubs & cafes which is more than the 4.3 million attending AFL games per year. And this figure obviously included those of us who regularly attend our 1950’s style Rock & Roll/Rockabilly/Country Rock live music gigs. This makes Melbourne the live music capital of Australia.

The report also estimated that live music in venues generated an additional $501 million in gross state product (GSP) to the Victorian economy in 2009/10, and increased full-time equivalent (FTE) employment by approximately 17,200 persons. The direct economic contribution component was $301 million in GSP and approximately 14,900 FTE positions.”

Furthermore, the research made the finding that on average musicians earned $19,500 from their profession per year and that 70% of this is derived from live performances. I suppose this basically confirms what many of us already know – that is, with very few exceptions such as those who are already well known on the international stage, it’s very hard for musicians and bands to make a living full time just playing music without having to rely on another job somewhere else to pay their daily bills.

In such circumstance, I suppose one could empathise with the general woeful financial situation faced by our musicians & bands. They contribute so much to our personal happiness & add to the State’s cultural well-being with their creativity and music week in, week out, yet doing it for so little financial rewards. I do hope our government would take this into consideration when decisions are next taken in relation to future funding for live music in Victoria. May I say thank God for musicians & live music in Victoria, but do say a little prayer for our musos, like in the Lord’s prayer, that they “be given their daily bread with all debts forgiven and them not being led into temptations ……..”. But in all seriousness, our musos do deserve our full support in more ways than one.

Re: Live Music Venues (Victoria) Research Report

Interesting report Paul....so it comes down to the age old problem....WE...yes WE need to be prepared to PAY...yes PAY to suooort the bands/entertainersa & NOT expect to get in for FREE as currently happening....the public's FREE ride has to end....& not just here in victoria...but across Australia.....you don't work for no pay....why should anyone else??

Clive R
    A Good Dance is worth the time it takes to get there.
    "Life may not be the party we hoped for... but while we are here we might as well dance!"
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Hi Guys,

This is interesting and has been "under the carpet", for many years, and as a working Muso for over 30 years in various bands, have seen all forms of wages and cost increases around many workplaces including entertainment venues.
    Band members are earning the same monies as offered back in the early seventies!
    It's a little wonder why bands have issues staying together, always mindful of putting on the best shows possible for the punters. They just cannot afford to continually fund and absorb all the rising production costs and overheads.
    Although I think we, as musicians, love to play to people, and as a kid, I always busted my arse to play and do my best regardless. But the cost of the right gear has to be funded, and you're perfectly right in stating most muso's work a real job, to pay the bills and support the family, but we love what we do, and enjoy seeing the reaction of people enjoying themselves. Just need a fair shake, and keep it simple.
    We have the tools to perform and provide a show to people who wish to hear the product, and dance, or just listen, solialise, and have a beer.
    Venues expect a return on investment into entertainment, and, many have unfortunately closed their doors due to the lack of such.
    Please continue to support your local bands, and I know the charge at the door is there sometimes, but understand it's there to ensure this continues to be available to you all. After all, we will fork out up to, and over $100.00 for international acts, and I believe some of the talent we have here in Australia has just as much value!

Keep it Live Guys!!

Rob.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

I love you Streety Couldn't have put it better myself, your observations-Then and Now are spot on, we do it because we love it, but our tools are costly and we have ongoing costs as well, all the publican or venue manager wants to do is make it viable, if it is not... Don't let the door smack ya on the arse on the way out.. That's the way it is ...

The days of free music seem to be coming to an end we have great musos here in melbourne ... The pokies too have put a dampener on most bands .. I know most of you are struggling , I don't mind paying at the door .
    Keep musos in work

Add up the cost of your gear over the years v the income earned from gigging and guaranteed you would have been lucky to break even. We do what we do because we love to play music, what we do appreciate is people buying a few drinks, having a meal, supporting venues that have the type of music we like.

Personally if i had a venue and no cover charge for the band then there wouldn't be a pitcher of water on the bar, buy a drink even if its a soft drink because thats what keeps the venues going and free bands for your entertainment.

Do 3 drummers make a right, Frank ? Rob ? haha

Any time there is no cover charge you know the band is losing straight away! ShaunPhantom is right when he says if your enjoying the band, let them know by telling them, get up and dance! buy them a drink or a meal because the majority are playing for a love of music, if they wanted to make money they'd work in something else! (ex soundy who worked with lot's of bands who didn't average anything like $19 grand a year!) but kept on rockin anyway.