01-03-2024 01:32 PM
0 Replies
The Uptown Catz @ DJ...
Last post by Joseph Breitenfeld
29-02-2024 06:55 PM
0 Replies

Closed Thread

News Another Rockin' Melbourne Weekend

I 'm biased but I have to say Melbourne has got to be the rockin' capital of Australia!

If you are into live rock & roll music and dancing, Melbourne's the place to be rockin' your sox off week in, week out. Melbourne rockers are being treated to a gourmet of top rock & roll, rockabilly and country rock bands. And best of all, most of the gigs are free so what more could I ask for? I say the least we could do is to put on our dancing shoes, ring around a few more friends to go dancing or to learn to dance and maybe buy a drink or two and have a meal at the venues to show we support live music scene in Melbourne.

So many bands, so many venues on any weekend in Melbourne. But just for me, I rocked to the Black Hill Ramblers at Monash on Saturday and then on Sunday, the double billing of Atomic Hi Tones and Stringbusters at the Royal Derby Hotel in Brunswick. Another glorious weekend of great music and dancing. Life can't get any better, can it?

Sample of videos from the weekend .......

Cool Re: Another Rockin' Melbourne Weekend

Hey Jits, I came across your post about RR dancing, and would like to make a few observations about the R/R OS. One has got to make lots of inquiries to find RR gigs, but this makes it all the more challenging as I travel. Keep you posted from time to time!
    Bangkok: Most of the 4&5 star hotels do have live bands in the lounge and you do see a few couples having a go at Jive etc. Montien hotel has dancing every night of the week, and jive and Latin seems to be the flavour of the month! If you were to stalk the streets of Pat pong amongst the sleaze and tease, plenty of bands pumping out R/R tracks. Few dancers trying out crazy, erotic moves. Hehehheh!
    In spite of the holy season of Ramadan in Istanbul, a few bars and clubs play R/R, but very few dancers. Most of them on their knees, instead of doing the back step!!!
    Malmo, Sweden is rocking at the Victoria st theatre to the sounds of bands playing the stones, Chuck etc. Also Stockholm has live music at O’Leary’s every night. Oh the Swedes really kick up a ball here! Lots and lots of single RR females dancers!!!! Everybody speaks English, and they love RR! Came across a few RR dance schools as well. Spent 3 weeks in Sweden, and had a chance to explore the entire country.
    Krakow, Poland. The city square which got to be seen, has every man and his dog, singing the golden oldies! Amazing, amazing square! Cannot print the moves that take place at the clubs. Certainly not the moves one would learn at a dance class in Melb.
    Did not come across any bars or clubs in Prague, playing RR. Onto Paris! Near Onvers Metro, RR bands every afternoon, a small bar between the Butte Montmarte and the avenue Truedane, had a crackerjack R/R band pumping in French and English. Ah R/R in French is a cool!
    Next Venezia, then Moscow, onto Rio De J and then end up in Austin TX.Oh, so tired and weary after 42 sleepless nights, and more to come! The beat goes on….

Re: Another Rockin' Melbourne Weekend

You are so right Paul, so many great bands available and all so accessible. Not quite the same in the bush, but your vids are always a joy to view. I have to admit that I hadn't heard the Stringbusters before, however they are now one of my favourite bands. That guitarist is superb, even to a dumb, old prick from the backwaters like me. We'll have to look out for them when we next venture into Melbourne. I'm now off to look for their website.

Thanks for the weekly posts.

EDIT: Just realised that I should add that I wasn't 'dising' the Atomic High Tones nor the Black Hill Ramblers, it's just as I said, it's the first time I'd heard the Stringbusters.
    Last edited by cirrus; 15-08-2011 at 11:09 AM. Reason: Clarity

RRolldude - keep rockin' & keep safe wherever you are travelling!

Hey Cirrus - glad you like the videos. More to come in the weeks and months ahead. The guitar player in Stringbusters - I think you are referring to Peter Baylor? He's a very talented man playing in different bands & music genres .......

Yairs Paul, I found him on the net. Indeed a very talented man, and not just guitar. It seems he also plays fiddle. One of my other loves is Bluegrass fiddle.

G’Day RR Dude, thanks for that most entertaining and informative post. So interesting to hear what’s happening on the OS RR scene. We hear a lot about the US n UK scene, but yours seem to cover the rest of the world. Please keep up the posts. VIP for our RRollers who intend travelling OS in the near future. As Chuck B would say C'est lavie.
    BTW, we came across a similar band neat the Scere-Cur church in Montmarte last year belting out R/B n rock songs. Wonder if is the same band!