01-03-2024 01:32 PM
0 Replies
The Uptown Catz @ DJ...
Last post by Joseph Breitenfeld
29-02-2024 06:55 PM
0 Replies

Closed Thread

Strathdale rocked with ROCKIN' 50's and ITCHY FINGERS

We left home early on Saturday night mainly to avoid the twilight kangaroos at Graytown and Heathcote and secondly to have dinner at the Axedale pub. That was the start of a fabulous night of music and dancing at Strathdale arranged by ROCKIN' 50's R 'n' R CLUB.

ITCHY FINGERS supplied the music although Dom and Rob in this instance, were supported by Snappy from Straight 8's playing bass and Frank from Boom Boom on drums and did they produce some of the best thumping Rock and Roll!! Nice bit of cross harp playing there too Rob. I just love cross harp. Not only great Rock and Roll but the occasional change in tempo produced some of the nicest swing dancing I've seen for many moons. I'm slowly becoming a big fan of Swing.

The car park reserved for the car fans was well utilised with cars ranging from big, long cars with big, long names – Oldsmobile, from memory – to a racey little bright red Honda 450 'hot rod' which made a lot of very loud noise and I imagine goes like the powers.

Being as I'm one of those types that consider cars to be a contrivance to take me to the airfield and back again during my early and mid life years and to dances during my twilight years I don't really participate much in their admiration, but I did agree with the prize for the best car going to the brilliant red Ford Customline bearing registration plates OLDIE 1. No, the winner definitely was the Ford, not the Oldsmobile.

Once past the car park we were confronted by SOLD OUT signs on the doors. Would have been disappointing if anyone turned up without booking. And it was sold out!! Two hundred people from just about everywhere.

JailhouseRockers attended and Macedon Rangers Rockers turned out in force. A few from Cool Cat Rockers were there and I think there may have been some from Cobram. Rhode Island Reds were there as were S'cool House rockers from Echuca with Centre State Rockers, Black Hat Daddies and Ballarat Rockers also helping to fill the hall. Always nice to catch up with folk that one hasn't seen for a long time.

Raffle time eventually came around and a bunch of folk won all sorts of stuff, but there were two raffles and one person walked out with a crisp one hundred dollar not in their pocket. I looked at the time and somehow it had become midnight and we were out of there.

A great night ROCKIN' 50's and thanks to Dom, Rob, Snappy and Frank for the music.

And we only saw one kangaroo on the journey home.

Re: Strathdale rocked with ROCKIN' 50's and ITCHY FINGERS

Quote Originally Posted by cirrus View Post
    ITCHY FINGERS supplied the music although Dom and Rob in this instance, were supported by Snappy from Straight 8's playing bass and Frank from Boom Boom on drums and did
    Frank isn't from Boom Boom....he is Frank 'Boom Boom' from the SPEEDSTERS
    A Good Dance is worth the time it takes to get there.
    "Life may not be the party we hoped for... but while we are here we might as well dance!"
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Wink Re: Strathdale rocked with ROCKIN' 50's and ITCHY FINGERS

Thanks Clive, my mistake. My notes were a bit of a shambles and I have to admit to being a bit unfamiliar with band members.
    Sorry Frank aka boom boom and you did a bloody good job whoever you are. What a great night it was, and what a clever way for me to get a comment in my post.
    Last edited by cirrus; 25-07-2011 at 10:14 AM.

wat my real estate agent said "Location Location!!"

Cirrus,
    thankyou for the Great write up, it was such an enjoyable evening. I must admit the place was Pumping, never had i thought a hall could get so warmed in the middle of some of the coldest weather we are having. The Dancers were so appreciative and so to the Members of Rockin' 50's Club, it's always a pleasure to travel to these country gigs, everyone makes us so welcome and so friendly.
    Can't wait for November when we are back there, thanks to Barbera and the gang.
    Rock'n'roll will stand man - If i'm lying i'm dying

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Thanks Cirrus, a great review, I must admit that I love playing with Dom and the boys from time to time, I must thank Snappy for being such a great muso, working blind ain't easy, and he made my life easy on Saturday night. The crowd were so good, the clapped and cheered us all night, you don't know what that does to Muso's, thank you, to all, we had us a ball... Cheers.

Thanks to everyone for the great reviews for our dance. It was amazing how hot the hall got but with the amazing Itchy fingers (with some friends to help) ROCKIN THE HOUSE DOWN NOTHING LESS WAS EXPECTED. The car that one a prize was one of a few fantastic looking cars there on the night but it was the car with the lucky number plate drawn out of the hat by Dom from Itchy Fingers. We like to show our appreication for all those who bring out their special cars by letting everyone have a equal chance at winning a gift of thanks from us. The atmosphere was pumping and very rewarding for all on the committee. Thanks to all that attended so enthusiastically and if you want to repeat the night in November with a special guest as well book early as we sold out at this dance before Saturday night and people are making plans for the next one. November is always special as its our Christmas dance with a special prize judged by the band for the best christmas decorated table. So come along and join the fun.
    Last edited by hagrid; 27-07-2011 at 02:46 PM.