0 Replies
The Uptown Catz @ DJ...
Last post by Joseph Breitenfeld
29-02-2024 06:55 PM
0 Replies

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ray Harris (ex-Gorgeous-Gear) passed away

It is with such sadness that I let you all know that our good friend and gentleman, Ray from Gorgeous has today lost his battle with Leukemia.

He was surrounded by his family at the Austin Hospital today, a little after 4pm when after a group prayer for him, he gently slipped away. I was lucky enough to see him just 2 days before and he was smiling and cracking jokes in his own unmistakable way, he knew what was coming but not once did he let it bring him down.

I'm sure everyone reading this knows Ray, he and Mary have been ambassadors for Melbourne's Rock n Roll and Swing scene for many Many years, their business "Gorgeous Gear" which was Ray's absolute pride and joy was built by Ray and Mary out of their home in Cragieburn, from selling some skirts and dresses to becoming the single largest supplier of Rock n Roll dance shoes, clothes and memorabilia anywhere in the world.. Their unique shoes are being worn by thousands of people in 61 countries, and their wholesale network is the only of it's kind anywhere. Ray was extremely proud of his business achievements, and rightfully so, his passion and committment to the people was his defining feature.

I have personally spent a lot of time with Ray and Mary and their family, and everyone who ever had the pleasure of knowing Ray, comments on his sense of humour, dedication and committment to his darling Mary, and his unbelievable head for service and business.

I will communicate details of Ray's funeral as per Mary's desire when they are known.

Ray gave his life to the Rock n Roll Scene, he won many many competitions in his day, and is very well known all over Australias scene.. He was the true definition of a gentleman, and a true true friend to many. My deepest and most heartfelt condolences go out to Mary and their family.

There will be a rememberance/celebration of Ray's achievements dance, where all monies raised will go to the Austin Hospital
    and Leukemia Research, after the funeral, details of this will be out.

We have lost a true friend today, please rest up now Ray, we will remember you dearly xx

Re: Ray Harris (ex-Gorgeous-Gear) passed away

I like so many others in the rock n roll scene have meet Ray and Mary and assumed them as friends,they are just that type of people. Ray and Mary always seemed to have time to stop and have a quick chat to Caz and myself whenever we saw them both.It is indeed a sad day.Our heartfelt condolences go out to Mary and their family.Its not going to be the same for a long long time.
    That,ll be the day the music die,s

So Sad.....Our deepest condolences to Mary & their family....An icon in the Melbourne Rock N Roll scene....goodbye old friend....
    Clive & Sylvia Northside Rock
    Mike Todd...the Heritage Receptions
    A Good Dance is worth the time it takes to get there.
    "Life may not be the party we hoped for... but while we are here we might as well dance!"
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

A huge loss, Ray a gentleman and a person who was respected by many, our condolences to Mary, and respective familys.. Will be sadly missed. Cj, Monty, Frank Mark, Dave, Clive Robbo .. The Speedsters..

Exclamation Re: Ray Harris (ex-Gorgeous-Gear) passed away

It is with great sadness that the Committee of the Victorian Rock'n'Roll Dance Association recognises the loss of Ray Harris.

In partnership with Mary. Ray made an enormous contribution to our community. His family can be proud that Ray did make a difference.

(It not often that I get teary writing a forum post but it happened this time.)

Thanks Ray, we will remember you.
    Rob Ewart
    Victorian Rock'n'Roll Dance Assoc

www.VRRDA.org.au

It's your Association, get involved. Good ideas are always welcome.
    Make sure your R'n'R club or dance school is getting best value.

It is with great sadness to here of another great ambassador to the Rock n Roll scene has passed on. Ray will be remembered as the pioneer of the clothing & shoes supplier to the rockers .along with Mary and her skills to make great clothes .Our condolences to Mary & Rays families Gordon & Gillian

So sad to hear about Ray,s passing...you were such a true gentleman...you may be gone ...but you will never be forgotten..our condolencies. to Ray & Mary,s families
    RIP our dear friend............sincerly Irene & Tommy. xx
    Rhythmrockers

I am shocked to learn of Ray's passing. Alongwith Mary, he is/was one of the many people who are fixtures in my rock and roll world. For so many years I saw them both at dances with their rock and roll gear on sale. They would always be smiling and be ready to say hello and have a chat. Ray will not be forgotten. My condolences to Mary and Ray's family and friends. Steve and Sue.
    Dance like nobody's watching. Love like you've never been hurt

Mr. Cool on the dance floor, professional, yet caring in business.
    Dance Comp's, Gorgeous Gear or even just as acquaintances... everyone knew Ray & Mary; and to know them, was to immediately like them.
    Ray was a lot of things to many people and will be missed tremendously.
    Our heartfelt condolences go out to Mary and their family, and our thoughts are with you.

Jo & I are thinking of you in your time of loss.

Ray always had a smile...... Ray always had a joke........ that's the way I'll remember him.

Rest in Peace.

Jo & Rocky

We're saddened to hear of the passing of Ray Harris. We will miss his presence in the world of Rock & Roll as we all will. Our thoughts and prayers go out to Mary and their families. Yes we have lost a great friend today!
    Noel & Lea
    x
    Lea Gilliland

From Tommy and the crew at Rock The Boat, we are saddened to hear of Ray's passing. We had good times with Ray, as a friend and colleague. Our sympathies to Mary and family.
    Tommy Kaye

How sad it is to learn of Ray's passing.
    Both Kerry and I loved Ray for his energy, wit, dancing ability, kindness, his enduring support of everything Rock 'n' Roll and most of all, his lovely friendship.

We will miss you dearly, but never forget you Ray.

Our heartfelt condolences to Mary and everyone who loved him as we did.

Lyndon and Kerry

We are saddened to hear of Ray's Passsing and we will miss our long friendship. Our sympathies to Mary and Family.

Helen and Joe The Sax Man.

Sad News, a great loss to the greater dance family, our thoughts are with you Mary.

Dave, Wendy, Greg and all at S'Coolhouse Rock and Swing
    Cyaonthdancflr
    Dancin' Dave
    S'CoolHouse Rock and Swing

Ray was such a lovely Rocker so friendly and a very caring business person, nothing seemed any trouble for him to look after his customers, and he and Mary such lovely dancers, we often saw them sneak in a dance or two during their regular stints running their business at dances all over the country, Ray was an icon in the dance scene and I am sure his name will be remembered for time in memorial. condolences to Mary. RIP Ray.
    Aspire to inspire - - - before you Expire !

We will miss this great man & friend, R.I.P. Deepest sympathies to Mary & Family.
    Lou & Lynette
    Attached Images  

Hi everyone,

Mary would like to thank you all for your comments regarding the loss of Ray, she is not very computer savvy, but she has been read the comments that you have all posted and it brings a tear to her eye. Thankyou all from Mary,

Rays funeral has been announced, it will be at 11:30 this thursday at Our Lady Church, Craigieburn Rd, Craigieburn, with a viewing from 10:30. All are most welcome, and would be most appreciated.

If anyone has any queries at all, please ring me on 0419-507626 anytime at all.

Ray has left us all, but he will never be forgotten.

Jonathon

Tribute to Ray from his Tassie friends. It was with great sadness we were told of the death of Ray last Wednesday. We would like to echo the words of those who have written tributes to Ray on the Vic Rock site by describing him as a thorough gentleman. Graeme and I first met Ray about 13 years ago when we had our first dance lessons. Ray sold us our first dance shoes. Since then there have been more shoes and a growing friendship but it wasn’t until we became the Tasmanian distributer for Gorgeous that we discovered what a generous, honorable & honest person he was. It was a privilege to have worked with him. Our thoughts are with Mary & the family and all who grieve the death of this amazing man.

Rock and Roll's loss, such a beautiful man. Sincere sympathy Mary.
    Chris & Ray,
    Retro Rockers Tasmania
    (Launceston)

wat my real estate agent said "Location Location!!"

our deepest condolences to Ray's family and Mary, he was a very friendly man and always great to have a chat too.
    he will be missed
    from the boys of Itchy Fingers
    Rock'n'roll will stand man - If i'm lying i'm dying